Knowledge Base
Community

Giffgaff, you really need to consider stopping your collaboration with these scammers!

Started by: glaswegianeric
On: 23/12/2018 | 07:13
Replies: 75

by: glaswegianeric
on: 12/01/2019 | 01:53
@jaymailsays

Mass enquiries to ICO would be a start, nevermind class action.

No T&Cs can enforce conditions that contradict current legislations.

In my opinion, T&Cs could very well contradict GDPR - passing your personal details to a third-party isn't required to provide you with calls, texts, and data services.

All above is, of course, my opinion and not written in stone. But I really struggle to understand how we can expect networks to change or regulators forcing them to change if we don't show our determination in a first place. If they don't feel pressure, why the heck would they pull the plug on a steady money stream?
Message 71 of 76
Highlighted
by: jaymailsays
on: 12/01/2019 | 02:41

@glaswegianeric Here's a challenge for you. The next time you contact the complaint's agent tell them you withdraw your consent for the sharing of your mobile number with third party payforit merchants, make it clear that any reasonable time limit you grant them is non negotiable and any funds withdrawn from your balances by these merchants will be fraudulently obtained after the expiry of your notice to them.

Worth a shot!

The difficulty is that they, giffgaff, will claim that payforit is not a third party and they may be right.

I've been caught out by the payforit sting in the distant past so I generally use an encrypted browser app that hides your identity from merchants and will generally keep you safer.

I shouldn't  have to do so but for now I do.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 72 of 76
on: 12/01/2019 | 12:15
@jaymailsays

A challenge for me? I didn't realise I was the only one that got scammed courtesy of a scammer, Payforit and my mobile provider.

I sometimes don't even blame the networks and the scammers for trying to pull one. It's easy and people will accept it (moaning how disgraceful this is and not doing anything to try and challenge it doesn't count), so why the heck not...
Message 73 of 76
by: jaymailsays
on: 12/01/2019 | 13:46

glaswegianeric wrote:

A challenge for me? I didn't realise I was the only one that got scammed courtesy of a scammer, Payforit and my mobile provider.

@glaswegianeric but you are challenging the right, under GDPR for Telefonica (giffgaff)to use your mobile number?  If so, withdraw your consent, see what they say.

The Mail on Sunday has used their newspaper and online influence for over a year, to vigorously  campaign for payforit reform,  without much success. Usually Regulators run scared when they are exposed in this way, not this time.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 74 of 76
on: 12/01/2019 | 17:35
@jaymailsays not to use my mobile number but to pass my mobile number to third-parties where there's no need to do so to provide service, no legal requirement to do so, or no explicit consent from my side.

As for being exposed by papers / BBC Watchdog and alike and running scared because of it...this is a very common urban myth. Media exposure is very much needed but quite often it is nothing but letting consumers to blow off some steam.

Anyway, lessons learnt - if some hard done by consumer shouts "scandal! disgrace! daylight robbery!" that doesn't necessarily mean they are prepared to do something to change it, in fact, could well be that they don't actually mind being mistreated.
Message 75 of 76