Get Help
Community

[Give help button]Helper's Toolbox - feedback thread

Started by: roxy_r
On: 28/03/2018 | 10:35
Replies: 157

by: sophiejam92
on: 03/07/2018 | 13:35
hey so i think its great and better left where it is , i think the two options are great get help and give help ,,, exactly what you need Smiley Happy

i think its great how you just write your reply and send ,,, so much better

well done giffgaff
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 151 of 158
by: thunderdragon
on: 04/07/2018 | 13:38 edited: 04/07/2018 | 15:35
Hey @roxy_r! :-)
I've just given this a quick spin and it was quite easy to use on my PC as well, but there are a few bugs and issues I'd like to report on:
  • My browser config: Mozilla FireFox 39,0 en-GB (Java5cript enabled) on Linux 2.6.32 (x86) running on a desktop x86/x64 capable PC.

• HTML mark-up in posts doesn't work at all - The markup's converted and displayed verbatim in the post. As a user who naturally composes GG posts in hand-coded HTML, this might lead to mess & confusion. :-o
    Suggested fix: Scan post text for HTML markup and keep tags that are valid & matched, such as <B>Bold text</B>. Convert for verbatim display anything which doesn't match that requirement.

• No means of submitting post via keyboard as [Tab]bing to the [Post] button doesn't appear to work, and using [Enter] produces a CR/LF pair like it should.
    Suggested fix: Allow use of [Ctrl]+[Enter] for post submission to save having to blow dust off the mouse! ;-)

• Agent Links look a lot like they'll take the helper off page, rather than (Try to) paste the link into the message field. For cautious users like me, this will heavily discourage their use.
    Suggested fix: Have a UX revision of these which ideally makes the paste-to-message intent clear. If the alt-text read Paste link: [URL] or even java5cript;pasteLink('[URL]'); that might be more intuitive, whilst still allowing the link to be usable via clipboard.)

• Agent link paste-to-message Doesn't work - At least not in my browser - And I had to manually copy/paste instead. Paste-to-message gave a pop-up error at the bottom of the screen whenever I encountered it, showing it's enumerable by scripts on the page and isn't a critical break in browser support.
    Suggested fix: If the modal shadow behind the Agent Links list wasn't there and overlaying the message box making it inaccessible, it'd be possible to drag/drop form URLs from those links directly into the message area in many browsers and even on some mobile devices.

• Agent Links list is wayyy too long, and very difficult to browse for the desired form or link, even on a bigger PC screen.
    Suggested fix: Consider expandable lists of categories under sub-headings (With the CSS display attribute at block by default, please!) allowing users to go Credit problems --> Missing credit --> Unauthorised charge on account much quicker than having to dig through the list to find the "Premium Rate services & charges" link! ;-)

• Helper form can Lock-up and become irrecoverable in the event the helper accidently clicks a link, their browser starts loading a new page, and the helper then hits the [Stop] button. When responding to a user who wanted to know How to get a smaller SIM for iPhone 8/X, the helper interface locked-out and froze-up for ages when I was retrieving the Sim-Swap link (Which started to load-up by accident) and I had to fight like a git to retrieve my post text and submit it. In that time my answer (Which was well placed for 1st reply) got pushed so far down thread I don't know if the user will even see it, let alone kudos it. :-(
    Suggested fix: If any text is present in the reply field, navigations off-page should be trapped and the user asked to confirm they do indeed want to navigate to another page and lose the unsubmitted post. This is common practice on the majority of forums and other online facilities, such as order and survey forms.

• [Kudos] buttons still don't work.
    Suggested fix: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (Lithium still havn't fixed it in the main forum!!!)

• We could do with access to One-click standard responses to quickly address common questions that come up over and over again, such as those relating to "Always On" GoodyBags and common questions over What IS included in GoodyBags, and what ISN'T.
    Suggested fix: The second "Member Notes" box would be an ideal place to put these, allowing helpers to speed through common questions and deliver personalised M2M assistance whilst not wearing out their fingers/keyboards or overusing clipboard contents. :-)

Hope this is useful! :-)
+++ ThunderDragon +++

--
P.S: Sincerest apologies to Dez_D for successive edits unwittingly flooding his/her/their security feed! Such alert flooding was accidental, and entirely unintentional. :-)
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink
Message 152 of 158
by: roxy_r
community giff-staffer

on: 06/07/2018 | 14:23
Thanks for the detailed reply @thunderdragon ! Great insights. I will have to chat to the development team for most of them and it might take a bit to be implemented in one way or another.

When it comes to the agent links, ultimately I would like that as soon as you click on one it will automatically insert it into your post. We have gone with the version that was easier to implement from a tech point of view as a start but we surely want to develop further. We can improve on making the message clear when it comes to the functionality of clicking on them. Quite interested why it does not work for you, though. Is there anyone in the same position?

One-click standard responses, yes, that is the intent behind the Member notes indeed. We will be working on those soon Smiley Happy

Great suggestions overall!
community manager in the Help&Support area
links Visit the community guidelines <Check the Knowledge base
Message 153 of 158
community giff-staffer

on: 11/07/2018 | 09:46
The word Dashboard has now been replaced with Toolbox in the URL Smiley Very Happy
Message 154 of 158
Highlighted
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 11/07/2018 | 13:41

Cheers for the updates @roxy_r

Message 155 of 158
by: blackfive460
on: 15/07/2018 | 15:58

@roxy_r

As a tool for helpers the Toolbox seems to be functioning pretty well now and will get even better when the 'Notes' tabs are functioning.
However, one aspect that I feel isn't currently useful are the filtering option, specifically 'Chewy' and 'Forgotten'.

Before considering what can be done to improve things perhaps it would be useful to define what 'Chewy' and 'Forgotten' currently mean.

On the guide tab we read:

• Chewy threads
    Filters the thread view to show only threads which have no replies and are over 1 hour old
  • Forgotten threads
    Filters the thread view to only show threads which have fewer than 3 replies and are over 1 day old

I've been looking at the results that these two filters bring up for a couple of weeks now and I'm sorry to say that what I'm seeing isn't proving useful.

Firstly, the 'Chewy' filter rarely shows any threads and, when it does, they don't fit my idea of 'Chewy'.
On the other hand 'Forgotten' brings up plenty of threads but looking through them, most seem to have perfectly satisfactory answers.

I should also mention that many of the threads marked with the 'Still needing help' icon don't always need further help so I'm not sure what criterion is being used there.

So, perhaps we need to redefine 'Chewy' and 'Forgotten'?

Starting with 'Forgotten', my first thought is that the current 'Chewy' filter definition is nearer to my idea of a forgotten thread.
'Chewy' is less easy but I'd expect to see threads with difficult problems; something I can get my teeth into!Smiley Wink

That's going to be a hard one to identify but I'd think a combination of a thread running to a reasonable number of posts to which the OP has returned to and added further comments plus the lack of a BA and perhaps few kudos might show some promise. I'm sure others will have other ideas about that.

However, the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if a simple toggle with fixed parameters is the way to go.

It seems to me that behind the 'Chewy' and 'Forgotten' toggles is a constrained search tool so how about making that available as a kind of advanced search?

It already appears able to count the number of posts in a thread along with the time posted and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it can also see if an OP has returned to a thread (remember the 'still needs help' flag?) so if a helper wanted to search for say, threads posted more than three hours ago with at least 6 replies some of them from the OP with less than 3 kudos or threads a day old with less than two replies then that should be a possibility. Add in the current keyword search and you have a flexible system for those helpers who have specific areas of interest. You could even include only threads with BAs for the few who like to check that a BA really is the BA!

Would that be better than the current two toggles?

Message 156 of 158
by: dtuxcomp
on: 15/07/2018 | 21:51
@roxy_r @blackfive460 good points there regarding opening up the search tool to user refinement. Also if there isn't already an easy way to do this, how about a button to list all threads started by the member, so we can quickly see if they've started multiple duplicate threads rather than sticking with just the one. I've only ever found a way to list all threads a member has commented on but maybe I'm missing something.
Take my advice, I'm not using it Smiley Happy
Message 157 of 158
community giff-staffer

on: 17/07/2018 | 09:53 edited: 17/07/2018 | 09:54

Morning,

Thanks for the thoughts @blackfive460 and @dtuxcomp! Great start for us to start talking about the next stage.

You are right, the toggles are mainly there to show there is a possibility to implement something similar if we want to. I understand the advanced search parameters and it might be something we do, but at the same time I want us to think of all the helpers and accommodate all types of 'techyness' Smiley Happy What I mean by that is that maybe we can have the advanced search but also some toggles for those who want it to be predefined. But even if we do that we still need to find a few conditions that we can put behind some toggles.

So, what are a few common situations that happen on the HS forum that we could implement behind a toggle or an icon on the thread view? If we have the situations we can then all think how we make translate it into data.

What we have now:

-chewy : no reply after 1 hour

-forgotten:   fewer than 3 replies and are over 1 day old

-Still need help icon: OP has returned but no BA

[edit:] I forgot to mention I will have a chat with the dev team tomorrow about the Notes - what approach we take and how long until we have it implemented.

Message 158 of 158