Started by: roxy_r
On: 28/03/2018 | 10:35
Replies: 157

by: roxy_r
community giff-staffer

on: 28/03/2018 | 10:35 edited: 06/07/2018 | 14:48

[updated with the new shiny name - Helper's Toolbox - 6th July]

Hello folks,

Some of you might have heard of the Helper's Toolbox (Dashboard) but the time has come to properly share the details and invite all the helpers to try our beta version. Smiley Happy

We all know that help is done differently here, we rely on our members to help other members because we believe they can do a lot better than a call centre. We want to take this to the next level and although we are focusing on the 'asking for help' experience I believe we cannot go to that next step without improving the 'providing help' experience as well.

Since the forum view cannot fit the two(asking vs providing help) very different needs at the same time, we thought that separating the two would make sense since that would allow us to customize each route differently. This is where it all started.

What is the Helper's Toolbox ? (check it out here)

It is a different way to view and interact with the Help and Support forum that is tailored to best fit a Helper's needs in order to make it easier for them to provide the best help possible. And this is how it looks:

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.33.36.png

The goal for the dashboard is to create the perfect environment  for a helper to provide help. So for the beta version we started with what we believed to be the basics

• Filtered view that excludes posts that have a BA with the possibility to filter even further based on key words and predefined toggles
  • Quick access to help resources like the KB and direct agent links
  • Additional features like the being able to save a thread, save a few notes.

The full guide of how it all works is within the dashboard, under settings. This is just the first draft but it should give you a clear view on the functionality. Please have a look and do let me know if it all makes sense.

Click to reveal
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.00.03.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.00.15.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.00.24.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.00.34.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-28 at 11.00.44.png  

One thing that we have not yet defined is where this toolbox(dashboard) should live. At the moment we have the direct link but I would like it to find a home somewhere. There is a catch, we don't want members looking for help finding this because as you will see, there is no way of creating a thread so it will only confuse them more.

What now?

We have been on this for a while now, in the helpers brainstorm group and some of the members there even helped test the very first attempt at bringing this idea to life.  The idea was that together we could get this to a stage where it would be useful enough for our helpers to try it. What we want to do now is to get as many of you as possible to give this a go and then come back to this thread to share your feedback and together plan on what features we want added to it.

It is very important to remember that this is just the prototype and we can make this as powerful as we want. I believe it is a great opportunity for us to work together.

So, the questions we need to find an answer to are:

1. How do we make sure we only show this to the helpers? I am leaning towards something like: if you have at least 30 posts made in help and support then you will be able to see the button that takes you to the dashboard.

Answered - 25 replies in Help and Support

2.  What other features would make providing help easier for you? What is missing from the dashboard that could turn it into your preferred way of giving help?

Thanks a lot for reading and I cannot wait to hear your thoughts!

Fluffiness,

Roxy

[Edit:]

To make it really easy for you to keep track of the feedback here are a few of the things already on the table:

Bugs/Errors:

Click to reveal
1. Pop-up error  - working on it
2. Error when using the Chewy toggle - fixed
3. Possible error with the Save function - fixed
4. Usability on android 7 tablet with onscreen SwiftKey keyboard - looking into
5. Blank keyword filter can be submitted - fixed

Already looking into:

Click to reveal
1. The kudos button being the same as it is on the community forum - implemented
2. Removing signatures- implemented
3. Changing the cursor when hovering over click-able elements - inplemented
4. Changing the Latin text to something more relevant - changed
5. Have the text of the message you are replying to displayed below the text box that you type into, like on the standard forum. - implemented
6. On mobile view, having access to the KB and Notes in quick reply as well as in Advanced reply. - implemented
7. Text change to the Forgotten Threads section in the Guide to say 'fewer' instead of 'less' - changed
8. Addition of a text to the H&S tab if no posts are displayed due to toggle and/or keywords chosen - implemented
9. Report and edit buttons - implemented

Open discussion about:

Click to reveal
1. Chewy threads - Renaming that toggle as chewy might not be relevant
2. Advanced reply function, better icon/way to access it that is more intuitive especially when you have advanced reply as your default answer- new icon is live
3. Changing the Flag icon for saved posts to a Star to make it more relevant - changed
4. Mouse hover box with explanation on the feature is - can be implemented on Desktop but what about mobile?- implemented
5. Let the member adjust the note size/have some view options for notes
6. Go to post button on confirmation screen - implemented
7. Online status for the helper- implemented

Not for all of us:

Click to reveal
Nothing so far Smiley Very Happy
....but this is where we put ideas that we have discussed and we have agreed that they woun't suit the majority of members.

community manager in the Help&Support area
links Visit the community guidelines <Check the Knowledge base
Message 1 of 158
by: magspider
on: 28/03/2018 | 12:41

Thanks for this Roxy, looking pretty good so far. First two quick observations:

• The term 'chewy threads' is quite odd; I've no idea where it's come from.
  • Grammatically it should be, "threads which have two or fewer replies..."

Having been to the prototype, it's looking useful. Some initial feedback:

• Having different visual cues for replying and leaving kudos from the site is poor UX. Better to try and carry through similarities where possible.
  • The addition of user ranks is very helpful, and something the main community is the poorer for lacking.
  • Filtering out user signatures would be useful, especially on mobile. The main community doesn't display sigs on mobile so it's actually a poorer experience on this prototype right now, with additional scrolling/swiping to get through the thread.

I'll give this some use before getting back with more, but thanks for the work so far.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 2 of 158
by: foolish
on: 28/03/2018 | 13:03

I like the look of this and will certainly be useful. I just posted an answer via the proto type but took me a few seconds to work out how to reply using the curved arrow?

Message 3 of 158
community giff-staffer

on: 28/03/2018 | 14:15

Awesome! Thanks for the initial thoughts Smiley Happy

I will start a spreadsheet to put all the ideas in and then we can filter it based on popularity together.

@magspider@, hehe yes, we ran out of ideas when naming that toggle but I am fully opened to ideas. We did miss the kudos thing, thanks for the nudge we will get working on that now. Also I think the signatures removal is a good call too so I will see how long it will take to implement that change

When it comes to the reply, @foolish@, yes, I would like to work a bit more on that but one question, do you have advanced reply as your default reply? 

When you have quick reply enabled it should look like this:Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 14.13.11.png

but I agree, we need a better icon to show that the arrow is actually an advanced reply. On desktop we would have loads of space but we need something that works on mobile too!

Message 4 of 158
by: blackfive460
on: 28/03/2018 | 14:29

@roxy_r

I must admit I rather like 'Chewy threads' but I can see how some might not get it. Perhaps a mouse over to get an explanation might be better than having to visit the other tab but it's good that the information is there if you need it.

Being able to single out those chewy threads might (shock, horror) might actually get me back posting in H&S again after an absence there of quite a few years and trust me, that'll be quite an achievement.

One minor problem at the moment is that after a successful first visit, when I try no I get a malformed error message pop-up...

error.jpg

It's some kind of server error.

Message 5 of 158
by: magspider
on: 28/03/2018 | 14:29

roxy_r wrote:

When you have quick reply enabled it should look like this:Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 14.13.11.png

but I agree, we need a better icon to show that the arrow is actually an advanced reply. On desktop we would have loads of space but we need something that works on mobile too!

Hi @roxy_r

Thanks for all of this. I think the point you're making here is the same as that I've highlighted about the visual cues and UX. With consistency carried over from other parts of the forum these problems will reduce. Can these reply icons be rolled into the main forum, perhaps? If they exist next to the word reply on the yellow buttons we use here, their appearance elsewhere will be more understood and accepted.

While on this topic, the icon to save a thread is a flag, which is more usually associated with reporting content. I'd suggest perhaps a star instead, so it could be referred to as a list of favourite topics.

As an alternative to 'chewy threads' maybe Hot or Urgent or Open?

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 6 of 158
community giff-staffer

on: 28/03/2018 | 14:33
I will raise that Error now, @blackfive460 and be back here to properly reply.
Message 7 of 158
by: foolish
on: 28/03/2018 | 14:44

@roxy_r  Yes I have advanced  as default ,I can see from your screenshot the difference with quick selected.

Message 8 of 158
community giff-staffer

on: 28/03/2018 | 15:26

@blackfive460 , the mouse hover would be a nice touch we just need to see what that translates into when on mobile.

Ohhh, that sounds like a challenge! I accept! Smiley Very Happy Have a play with the existing toggle and see if it returns what you are looking for. If not, let's see if there are more members interested in that and we can make another thread where we just focus on what does a 'complicated' thread looks like then we can test out a few theories to see which one works.

@magspider I agree with the UX consistency and we should try and keep it as much as possible. But at the same time I am open to making a few changes that are will suit a helper in particular. And, as you pointed out, can perhaps help us figure out new ways displaying certain things that might be adopted by the community after.

I quite like the idea of a Star.  If others agree, that might be another one we get to change relatively soon.

@foolish, great! but still it might be worth seeing what we do when a member is in your situation, and do better at guiding them to the right button. good thing about it is that once you know where it is you cannot forget it Smiley Tongue

It is a custom page which means that we do have the freedom to make it as customised as possible. Also, the audience for that page, our helpers, are most likely not newbies so we can have icons, and features and behaviours that are a bit more complex as long as it is still simple to provide help using the dashboard. 

I will send a message soon to more helpers pointing them to this thread, just to make sure we get enough input from everyone.

Also, I am thinking of adding some spoilers to the OP that show errors that have been picked up, feedback that is on its way of being implemented, what is open for discussion and maybe even what ideas we decided are not for us, as in not relevant to the majority.

Message 9 of 158
by: mcilwraith
on: 28/03/2018 | 15:28

i don`t think it would take too long to get used to it.still prefering the desktop view at the moment

Message 10 of 158