Community

Goodybag vs Gigabag simultaneous confusion

Started by: hoshinobike
On: 07/08/2016 | 08:36
Replies: 18

by: harrrrrry
on: 07/08/2016 | 22:07

pauljohn7:

Other networks offer the addon option, so why not giffgaff?

Precisely. But giffgaff has such a "bury its head in the sand" attitude that it refuses to believe that there are other networks that have addon data and can make it work without problems.

Three has addon data and it works. Even tesco has addon data -- and tesco runs on o2 so there cannot be any problems at the network level in supporting it.

The reason why people expect giffgaff's data to be an addon is because that's the way it should be.

If you took a packet of weetabix to the supermarket checkout, you wouldn't expect to be told "sorry, I can't sell you weetabix this week because you bought a packet of shredded wheat last week and you can't have weetabix and shredded wheat at the same time".

You'd look at the cashier as if they were stupid, so why should giffgaff behave equally stupidly in not letting people have gigabags and goodybags at the same time Smiley Surprised

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 11 of 19
by: navvy
on: 08/08/2016 | 09:07
Giffgaff's policy seems to be that we shouldn't see nasty warnings that tell us we can't do what we expect. They have even said they don't want to use a red warning.

Why don't they at least say that the only way to add data to your existing goodybag is to add airtime credit at £10 for 500MB.
Message 12 of 19
by: 1hale
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:17
@navvy

Or why not bring in the mobile site features:

On the mobile site when i go buy a goodybag it first asks if paying by card or credit

Then if paying by credit it'll ONLY show the bags that I can purchase with my current credit balance.

So in short if you have an active goodybag then they could blank out the gigabag selection so you can't buy them.
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Message 13 of 19
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:34 edited: 08/08/2016 | 13:38

1hale wrote:

@navvy

Or why not bring in the mobile site features:

On the mobile site when i go buy a goodybag it first asks if paying by card or credit

Then if paying by credit it'll ONLY show the bags that I can purchase with my current credit balance.

So in short if you have an active goodybag then they could blank out the gigabag selection so you can't buy them.

@1hale

Some of us have already tried suggesting that the choices be limited in exactly the way that you describe, but people objected as that would prevent legitimate purchases for the few people who really do have a genuine reason to want a gigabag to replace a goodybag.  (eg. moving the SIM from a phone to a tablet, with a completely different usage pattern in the different device.)

Edited to add links to previous discussions.  https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Block-gigabag-purchase-if-you-have-an-active-goodybag/m... and https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/How-many-more-times/m-p/18043198#M434327

A big bold warning wouldn't stop everyone, but it would go a long way towards reducing the problem.

Providing a link to a clear explanation of why a fresh goodybag is better value that an add-on would help too.  

Better still would be to make add-ons possible, and then give the graphic designers the challenge of making them fit into the dashboard without over-complicating it.

When giffgaff started, this wouldn't have been a problem.  Unlimited data was the ultimate solution to the need for add-ons.  Maybe giffgaff should sell 2G-only smartphones that aren't capable of exhausting a normal goodybag...

Message 14 of 19
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:38
@navvy fair point however goodybag can be used for tethering on a tablet lol
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Message 15 of 19
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:56

1hale wrote:

@navvy fair point however goodybag can be used for tethering on a tablet lol

@1hale

Yes, but for the low user who wants just 500MB or 1GB it's unfair to have to pay a higher price for that data just because they have already paid for an earlier goodybag that they no longer want.  If they hadn't bought that earlier goodybag less than a month ago, they'd now be able to buy the gigabag.

Giffgaff needs to be fair, but part of this has to be to give fair warning when a mistake is likely.  There is plenty of evidence that this is likely to be a mistake.

I think @ggzelle said at one time that the stats didn't show this issue as being as important as several other issues.  Possibly the stats don't show it because an agent doesn't have to be contacted when someone gets it wrong - they can just use up their new data and buy a goodybag, or add airtime credit, or move to a different network that does work the way they expect it to.

Seems to me that it shouldn't be necessary to worry about whether stats are going to justify the amount of work involved.  It ought to be very easy to add a prominent warning, or better still a confirmation page where they have to tick that they have scrolled through and read the warning.  (Does Oracle have a patent on that trick of greying out the tick box until scroll has reached the end of the display box?)

Message 16 of 19
by: shaz7
on: 08/08/2016 | 16:21
Someone should put this on the idea lab, so the gigabag can run concurrent with the goodybag when your data runs out, mind you the gigabag is really data only, so people would usually use this for tablets,
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 19
on: 08/08/2016 | 16:54
@shaz7 that's exactly why gigabag was invented: for tablets
Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
on: 08/08/2016 | 18:12

shaz7 wrote:

Someone should put this on the idea lab, so the gigabag can run concurrent with the goodybag when your data runs out, mind you the gigabag is really data only, so people would usually use this for tablets,

@shaz7

Why does anybody suggest others should put something into Labs without haveing searched there themselves?

Here's what I found when I did a quick search some time ago.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Member-gigabag-survey-your-feedback/m-p/17639058#M82...

The result of this may have been the inconspicuous warning that isn't on the actual purchase page for each gigabag.

Message 19 of 19