Community

Goodybag vs Gigabag simultaneous confusion

Started by: hoshinobike
On: 07/08/2016 | 08:36
Replies: 18

by: hoshinobike
on: 07/08/2016 | 08:36

Hello

It seems well documented enough within these forums that goodybags and gigabags won't run simultaneously (so I won't ask the question again) but we still made the mistake due to not knowing and there being no clear warning/notice when I halped my partner get a gigabg.

Having retraced steps now, I can see there is a small note at the top of the gigabags page, but if we are selecting from the full list of products, there is no warning - we can go through to purchase being none the wiser.

The reasonable assumption that giffgaff, being the fair and helpful carrier that it is, will allow the two products to run concurrenlty seems to win out time and time again, and users feel confused and not too pleased when they find out their remaining goodybag call allowance dissapeared when they attempted to top up their data with a gigabag.

The first question is - why can't these two run concurrenlty?

The second question - if simultaneous use really is impossilbe - can there be an explicit gate message that pops up to confirm "Just to check you know what you are buying here - please confirm you are happy to override your remaining call allowance on your current goodybag - if not (you want calls included), then its a goodybag you are after, not the gigabag."

Having made the mistake, users are in a quandary where they were easily able to add a gigabag when their goodybag's data had run out (though calls hadn't), then having found out they are charged for calls on the gigabag, cannot revert to a goodybag until their gigabag data has run out or a month after purchase - a further pain.

If we had a worse impression of giffgaff we'd say it was a ploy, we don't so we are just thinking this is badly thought out communication, which is a shame as it causes a lose-lose situation in an otherwise very good system.

How do we go about having this small but important improvement made? 

Message 1 of 19
by: nad786hussain
on: 07/08/2016 | 08:41

I agree with you

Message 2 of 19
by: weeman
on: 07/08/2016 | 08:44 edited: 07/08/2016 | 08:47

Goodybags and gigabags do run concurrenlty mate,it's called queuing a goody/gigabag,the trick,when buying a bag is not to select the start my bag today/now option.

Scrap that mate i got  concurrenlty,and consecutively,mixed up.Sorry.Smiley Embarassed

As for your second question who knows why the system cannot handle 2 bags at the same time,only gg can tell you why this cannot happen.

George

Message 3 of 19
by: 1hale
on: 07/08/2016 | 08:54
@weeman @hoshinobike

The policy is only one active goodybag at at time right?

Well think:

A gigabag is NOT an add on for a goodybag, more rather it is a data only goodybag.

As such one will cancel the other.
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Message 4 of 19
by: weeman
on: 07/08/2016 | 09:01

1hale wrote:

@weeman @hoshinobike

The policy is only one active goodybag at at time right?

Well think:

A gigabag is NOT an add on for a goodybag, more rather it is a data only goodybag.

As such one will cancel the other.

???.

George

Message 5 of 19
by: 1hale
on: 07/08/2016 | 09:06
@weeman

George

Think:

When you have either:

5MB data or less

5 minutes or less calls

Remaining you can "early" start your next/queued up bag right?

Well as a gigabag is a data only goodybag then it'll completely replace the active goodybag and provide the purchaser with:

Free gg to gg calls/texts
No calls
No texts
Data only
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Message 6 of 19
by: mcilwraith
on: 07/08/2016 | 11:36

@hoshinobike a data add on wouldn`t be a bad thing.

some suppliers do it.the data lasts till your existing monthly plan or goodybag as it is here runs out

Message 7 of 19
by: padiho
on: 07/08/2016 | 11:55

This has been brought up many times before. I personally feel that the wording to warn people isn't prominent enough . Agreed some people won't see it even if it's 6ft lettering but it should be changed in some way. As for why GG don't allow the two to run together it's their policy and because of the numerous posts about this previously, I presume they have a reason. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 19
by: pauljohn7
on: 07/08/2016 | 12:49

I agree with you gigabags ought to be add ons rather than stand alone plans.

We never really got an answer from giffgaff why they rejected the idea.

So we don't know whether it's because:

1. giffgaff thinks it would confuse members.
  2. giffgaffs top-up system etc is currently not capable of having 2 systems running side by side.
  3. Not enough members would use the option.

Or None of the Above!

Other networks offer the addon option, so why not giffgaff?

On the plus side, giffgaff still offer a slight compromise.

If you purchased a  goodybag ( Not the £20 Always On goodybag ) and you run out of data but still have days remaining and you have some PAYG credit remaining - You can use data at a reduced PAYG rate of 2p per mb.  This will last till the end of your current goodybag.  This will prevent you losing your remaining minutes / text allowance.  Once the goodybag expires the PAYG rate returns to 5p per mb.

Get a free giffgaff SIM
Message 9 of 19
by: torquebar
on: 07/08/2016 | 12:57 edited: 07/08/2016 | 12:59

gg seem to have adopted the policy of making the warning about gigabags not being data add-ons even more obscure rather than making it more prominent or even better incorporating compulsory tickboxes etc despite numerous complaints and threads/ideas suggesting improvements.

A realistic and cynical person might suspect that this is just yet another profit and revenue generating tactic by gg!

Message 10 of 19