Knowledge Base
Community

Hands down, the worse service I've ever experienced

Started by: matt0941
On: 04/08/2016 | 15:30
Replies: 16

by: matt0941
on: 04/08/2016 | 15:30
As I sit with 4G on my phone writing this message (second message about slow internet speed in a week) I can't even summon up the motivation to explain how long I had to wait for this page to load.

I had been with Three for a number of years until recently when their service too became so interminably abysmally slow I genuinely had no choice but to consider an alternative. Having ported my number over and bought a £20 goody bag and having 'used' the service for 3 weeks, I can safely say that I will not be topping up for a second month with this provider.

I may just have a regression from technology altogether. No smartphone. That may indeed be the only way I will find any peace of mind with service providers in the UK.

I would like to say that I understand 4G data speed is restricted after the first 6GB data. I turned the data option to 3G which is similarly as abysmal.

Terrible. Terrible. Terrible
Message 1 of 17
by: exmember-2018-356361
on: 04/08/2016 | 15:40

Even on the first 6gb the data is slow. Its a known fault amongst members.

Message 2 of 17
by: wilpatgala
on: 04/08/2016 | 16:57

Glad I do not have those problems, I do not use data on my phone.

Get a free giffgaff SIM. It includes £5 free credit, yay!
Message 3 of 17
by: davidevans0000
on: 04/08/2016 | 18:13
my town all we had on o2 was 2g but now with the mast upgrade there is 3g and 4g and it is good.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 17
by: gizzblue
on: 04/08/2016 | 19:01
@matt0941 unfortunately matey it's not for every area ...that are still real bad spots even with alleged 4g ...it's great in Liverpool and the Wirral imho ....but we are lucky up here .

Hope your next choice of provider works better for you .

Jay
Message 5 of 17
by: phillsibson
on: 04/08/2016 | 19:13

Hi,

I'm sorry that you have found giffgaff's service no better than the one you moved from.

You mention that the 3 service you were on had only recently "became so interminably abysmally slow".

I wonder, before you moved, did you manage to find out what was behind this (from 3's customer service) & if it was generally the case in your area (from other 3 users in your general location).

While it is true that giffgaff (using O2's network) is rarely faster than other networks, for many, it 'just works' at a reasonable level.

Before you move to another network or give up on technology altogether, if you have not already done so, do ask around locally.   If yours was the only phone on 3 that experienced a sudden drop in performance and you find other giffgaff/O2 users who have 'usable' data then perhaps there is some issue with your phone.

Please Note: I don't usually assume a phone is at fault, but in this case, the O/p experienced a sudden drop in service on their previous network, so it is possible something other than giffgaff's network is at fault.

Also, it is my understanding that "Traffic Flow applies to the £20 goodybag. Speed restrictions apply to our Always On data after 6GB of data usage." applies whatever method is used, so changing to 3G will make no difference to these restrictions.

Message 6 of 17
by: claw
on: 04/08/2016 | 19:18

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. I don't use mobile data so can't really compare.

Message 7 of 17
by: gem925
on: 04/08/2016 | 20:20

gizzblue wrote:

@matt0941 unfortunately matey it's not for every area ...that are still real bad spots even with alleged 4g ...it's great in Liverpool and the Wirral imho ....but we are lucky up here .

Hope your next choice of provider works better for you .

Jay

I live in liverpool and work on the wirral, this is not the case. Its poor

Message 8 of 17
by: headcell
on: 05/08/2016 | 18:55

EE has the fastest data speeds, with Three nudging into second place. Both also have good 4G coverage compared with the other networks. Really, O2 shold have the best 4G coverage as it was the only network to commit to 98% population coverage.

Still, 5G is round the corner, and that will save the day. Or so the networks would have you believe.

Message 9 of 17
by: niqq
on: 05/08/2016 | 23:00
Let's hope 5g is the miracle we have been hoping for!
Message 10 of 17