Has Welcome/Join lost its way?

Started by: endorphin
On: 15/04/2016 | 10:31
Replies: 48

by: endorphin
on: 15/04/2016 | 10:31

This is the mission statement for the Welcome & Join forum

Untitled-4.jpg

however on inspection it seems to me only half of the posts actually meet this statement. The other half don't and as such would confuse or even put off propective members.

Should we get our ducks in a row in that forum or turn a blind eye?

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 1 of 49
by: cps15966
on: 15/04/2016 | 10:38 edited: 15/04/2016 | 10:39

Yes I would agree that it has.

I think partly due to the newer members seeing it as the place where they should just go to.

The main posts I see are ones that are really meant for the Help category.

Perhaps a simple re-jig of the list order for forum categories might help some of it and stick Help above some of the others so it is higher on the list?

Definitely some awareness and education stuff needed though... once people know, they know....

cps15966 - The creator of the idea for @ mentions you have all come to use and love Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 49
by: cass905
on: 15/04/2016 | 10:50
I do have to say I love welcome and join its fab to meet New members before they get swamped into forums and we loose track of them but I do agree there seems to be a few more help problems than should be there maybe as @cps15966 as suggested putting help higher up may be beneficial
Message 3 of 49
on: 15/04/2016 | 10:54

Asides from the posts asking for help there a quite a few other posts which don't really match the mission statement.

Message 4 of 49
by: ray2
on: 15/04/2016 | 11:12

i also love the welcome and join forum,but it is a case of wading through a few posts from members trying to tell new members what giffgaff is like in their opinion,and the many reasons to join.

dont get me wrong although it,s a nice idea,it,s only that members point of view not everyones,i have seen many new members when posting will ask a few questions of their own and if one happens to be what are others experience of giffgaff then that is the place to put across their views,which gives the new member a wider picture.

welcome and join should just be that,any questions new members ask should be limited to their thread,this stops new members posts from disappearing off the first page with very few responses.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 49
by: mcilwraith
on: 15/04/2016 | 11:17

i like the welcome and join page.its something ive done on other forums before joining giffgaff.

there are other posts that could perhaps be somewhere else though.but if nobody minds i`ll just batter on as i usually do

Message 6 of 49
on: 15/04/2016 | 11:20

If we are going to go by the letter of the mission statement then the forum should be for:

• prospective members to ask questions about giffgaff to enable them to decide whether or not to join
  • new members to introduce themselves
  • members to provide reviews on their giffgaff experience

As mentioned I see that only half the posts there meet these criteria

Message 7 of 49
by: mcilwraith
on: 15/04/2016 | 11:31

endorphin wrote:

If we are going to go by the letter of the mission statement then the forum should be for:

• prospective members to ask questions about giffgaff to enable them to decide whether or not to join
  • new members to introduce themselves
  • members to provide reviews on their giffgaff experience

As mentioned I see that only half the posts there meet these criteria

shouldn`t there be an educator moderating the posts and moving them to the appropriate forums.

or is that your point

Message 8 of 49
by: terran_federation
on: 15/04/2016 | 12:02
I can't really see a problem. It's underutilised as it is, but it's a good, safe/easy place for newbies to go to before they decide to join in the General Discussion and it's resident crowd of people who know each other.
For a free giffgaff SIM with £5 of FREE credit, click here
Message 9 of 49
by: ip633
on: 15/04/2016 | 12:17 edited: 15/04/2016 | 15:52

I don't think it's unkind to say that the whole website has lost its way, which is why there are so many help requests appearing in all sections (including labs). Perhaps it's worth reviewing what kind of content is still important to members, with particular emphasis on trying to make the website more inviting to newcomers. At the moment it's not very user-friendly, and it's definitely due another revamp.

Edit: typo

Message 10 of 49