Knowledge Base
Community

Images and Copyright - Advisory

Started by: k89bpa
On: 09/08/2018 | 00:16
Replies: 16

by: k89bpa
on: 09/08/2018 | 00:16

You're going to have to become quite hot on copyright regarding the sheer volume of plagiarism that still exists here. A German court has just reinforced the copyright protections afforded content owners in respect of the most plagiarized type of content, photographs. 

I know the recent code of conduct changes should rule this out, but not everyone will be aware of them, so you might wanna start watching like a hawk before you end up being taken to court.

Although this case applies to images only, there are people copying text virtually wholesale too which could lead you to experience legal difficulties. 

Story: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/08/europe_supreme_court_copyrighted_images/

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 1 of 17
by: ip633
on: 09/08/2018 | 08:46 edited: 09/08/2018 | 09:49

I've just had another quick look through the community guidelines, and there is a reference to copyrighted content in the section on Photography Board rules, which does also include a mention about written text, but I wonder if that would need to be highlighted elsewhere. Because if you're not particularly interested in photography, then I suppose that particular guideline is something that's easily skimmed over, but not necessarily taken on board.

What about using copyrighted images for avatars, is that acceptable?

Edit: typo

Message 2 of 17
by: cass905
on: 09/08/2018 | 10:17 edited: 09/08/2018 | 10:18

I try to look for non copyright images but I can see how easy it would be to accidentally get one 

yes I think more should be told to us with this regard 

a main page maybe for copyright? outlining what is and what's not acceptable on here

I do pop in photography but don't post pictures but I do around the forums so i would like to see more detail on this

Message 3 of 17
by: endorphin
on: 09/08/2018 | 10:58

<teach grandma to suck eggs>

Of course we, ourselves, can report any posts we see which have copyright infringement(s) to the Eds so they can take care of it. giffgaff can't possibly monitor every post.

</teach grandma to suck eggs>

© endorphin, 2018

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 4 of 17
by: magspider
on: 09/08/2018 | 11:36

@endorphin wrote:

<teach grandma to suck eggs>

Of course we, ourselves, can report any posts we see which have copyright infringement(s) to the Eds so they can take care of it. giffgaff can't possibly monitor every post.

</teach grandma to suck eggs>

© endorphin, 2018

Well that's a laugh.

Last time I did that the educator concerned gave me a rant about it

1. Not being a big issue;
  2. Being fine to use pictures if you say who you stole it from.

Great stuff.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 5 of 17
by: ip633
on: 09/08/2018 | 12:39 edited: 09/08/2018 | 12:44

I'm getting a sense of deja vu, remember this discussion?

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Misuse-of-the-Photography-forum/td-p/18635662

This particular post from a former giff-staffer (and indeed some of his follow-up posts) shows a lack of understanding of copyright law, and that they really were in denial about these issues. 

It was good to see, that common sense had prevailed in the end  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 17
by: endorphin
on: 09/08/2018 | 17:26

@magspider wrote:

Well that's a laugh.

Last time I did that the educator concerned gave me a rant about it

1. Not being a big issue;
  2. Being fine to use pictures if you say who you stole it from.

That sounds wrong to me!

"Images that have been found on the web may be used in the following situations:•

• you know the copyright term has expired;
  • you have permission from the copyright owner for exactly what you want to do with it (for example, to display it on your website) – this may be in the form of something like a licence you purchase from a picture library or a Creative Commons Licence; or
  • you use the images for specific purposes known inlaw as permitted acts."

from the document referenced here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-notice-digital-images-photographs-and-the-inter...

Permitted acts are detailed here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 7 of 17
by: smithster225225
on: 10/08/2018 | 00:24
@k89bpa

What photographs?
Don't forget to AWARD BEST ANSWER Or give Kudos to members that helped!
Message 8 of 17
by: k89bpa
on: 10/08/2018 | 08:18

@smithster225225 wrote:

@k89bpa

What photographs?

@smithster225225 it affects all photographs and images that you have not taken/created yourself. In other words, everything that doesn't belong to you. 

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 9 of 17
by: joolzian
on: 12/08/2018 | 12:48

@ip633 wrote:

I'm getting a sense of deja vu, remember this discussion?

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Misuse-of-the-Photography-forum/td-p/18635662

This particular post from a former giff-staffer (and indeed some of his follow-up posts) shows a lack of understanding of copyright law, and that they really were in denial about these issues. 

It was good to see, that common sense had prevailed in the end  Smiley Wink

Giffgaff had a lax attitude to plagiarism.and copyright infringement. Prior to the above discussion i had reported that almost every win in a long running competition was plagiarised but it continued. Hopefully things will change under the new rules.

Message 10 of 17