Knowledge Base
Community

Improve the search in the help pages

Started by: stephenmiller
On: 26/06/2012 | 20:58
Replies: 21

by: stephenmiller
on: 26/06/2012 | 20:58 edited: 26/06/2012 | 20:59

I've noticed that the search in the help page is now less useful than it was, now it only searches knowledge base articles as step 1 and step 2 takes you to the help forum, presumably to ask a new question seeing as you already searched and didn't find an answer.

Previously it displayed two sets of results, first from the FAQ and second from the community. I think that the community search should be integrated back in somehow. I've posted some obligatory screenshots, a search for Twitter yields only 9 results in the search(!?)

The search, notice it says search through all our FAQs and community content when it doesn't search the community at all.

Capture.PNG

As you can see there aren't an awful lot of results for something that surely must feature more than nine times., it might be good for setup but not for problem solving/self help.

results.PNG

What do you think, should the community entries feature in there somewhere?

Message 1 of 22
on: 26/06/2012 | 21:06

Searching for Youtube is actually quite funny, you get 4 hits:

• Mobile internet roaming
  • Using WAP/mob internet when abroad
  • Can I come work for giffgaff
  • The complete guide to private messaging

I can see those helping exactly nobody Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 22
by: tja
on: 26/06/2012 | 23:47

@stephenmiller wrote:

I can see those helping exactly nobody Smiley Tongue     none of those 'results' have ANY relevance to youtube (your whole point i guess)

I'd expect this great guide to be in the listings somewhere surely... or is the 'search function' really that bad?

http://bit.ly/giffytube <<< it's got 38 kudos, don't they have anything to with seo on here?

did i help you? that is a surprise
Message 3 of 22
on: 27/06/2012 | 01:19

It really does only list those four results for youtube, try it for yourself with some random search terms.

Message 4 of 22
by: tja
on: 27/06/2012 | 02:22

@stephenmiller wrote:

It really does only list those four results for youtube, try it for yourself with some random search terms.

looks like better results will be got by doing 'random'... how did they set-up the knowledge-base and forget to link it to the source of knowledge (ie the community)... poor show Smiley Sad

did i help you? that is a surprise
Message 5 of 22
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 27/06/2012 | 10:40

Thanks for flagging - I'll point Chris this way as he's the Knowledge Base expert around here Smiley Happy.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
by: chriskm
former giff-staffer

on: 27/06/2012 | 11:23 edited: 27/06/2012 | 11:26

Hi All,

Stephen raises an interesting point.  The search from the help page does indeed now only point to the knowledge base, and I'm happy to debate the pro's and con's of re-introducing community content to the search results.

The idea behind the new knowledge base is that it's contents will eventually represent the best bits of what's already in the community.  By only returning results from the k-base the hope is that the really good bits won't be lost among the tens, hundreds or even thousands of posts that can exist in the community.  

Clearly Stephen has highlighted an example or two where this currently isn't the case.  The youtube guide thread  put together by mgb2 being a case in point.  What I would say with this example is that if the community feels that some or all of the content of this guide should be in the knowledge base then it's within your powers to make this happen.  

There's currently a thread in the Contribute forum where anyone can recommend content to be added to the k-base.  This will be picked up by one of the k-base authors who can create an article and pass to me for publishing.  

I totally appreciate that unless you know this thread exists it's not particularly helpful, and this is why we'll soon be expanding k-base permissions to enable most (if not all) community members to recommend k-base content directly from the forum thread you're looking at.

By way of an example.  If you have the youtube guide thread open and you think it's content should be used to create a k-base article, you will be able to click on 'Topic options' and click 'recommend to knowledge base'.  This will kick off a workflow that k-base authors see.  They can then create a k-base article with the help of the original poster if required.

So to summarise:

• The k-base search functionality works as it should (EDIT - ie. it's not broken in any way)
  • If there's content you think is missing from the k-base please use the thread mentioned above to make your recommendations
  • Members will soon be able to recommend content directly from the thread they're looking at in the community
  • If you still feel that it would be better to include community results with the k-base results then I'm happy to hear your thoughts.  (I should mention that the community and k-base results would be mixed together and not separate as they were before, which is another reason why we didn't do it this way in the first place)

Hope this helps to explain things a bit better, but we're always looking to improve so keep the comments coming.

Cheers

Chris

Message 7 of 22
former giff-staffer

on: 27/06/2012 | 11:37

@stephenmiller wrote:

I can see those helping exactly nobody Smiley Tongue

lol, yep that's fair enough.  You're not going to learn too much about youtube from these results, but in fairness the search is doing it's job.  "youtube" does appear in each of the articles shown, although it's not the main focus of the article.

If a "youtube" based k-base article is written then this would appear at the top of the results due to the fact that the word "youtube" would probably appear in the title of the article and also in numerous places throughout the article. 

Message 8 of 22
by: rong42
on: 27/06/2012 | 13:33

@ Chris, fair enough points. How about chaning some of the text on the Help page then, so its less confusing?

So instead of:

"Use the search bar to look through all of our FAQ's and community content in one go:"

just have

"Use the search bar to look through all of our FAQs"

Message 9 of 22
former giff-staffer

on: 27/06/2012 | 13:38

@rong42 wrote:

@ Chris, fair enough points. How about chaning some of the text on the Help page then, so its less confusing?

So instead of:

"Use the search bar to look through all of our FAQ's and community content in one go:"

just have

"Use the search bar to look through all of our FAQs"

Absolutely.  Have just requested this change.  Thanks to those of you who pointed it out.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 22