Knowledge Base
Community

Instead of unlimited GG2GG why not free skype??

Started by: aks782
On: 08/04/2010 | 01:24
Replies: 15

by: andy0
on: 10/04/2010 | 15:11 edited: 10/04/2010 | 15:29

@borobabe wrote:
3 bought Skype out some time ago, and they own the entire mobile arm of Skype. This means that Skype on mobiles can only be offered free to customers of the 3 network.

I'm a bit surprised to read that, especially after news about certain venture capital groups buying roughly two-thirdths of Skype (of course they may have promptly resold it - did I miss something?), and then Verizon's recent announcements about forthcoming mobile use of Skype.

In any case, the symbiotic relationship between 3 and Skype looks like it has more advantages for the latter, and 3 has put up call rates for other calls by new customers. And there is some own goal scope for some customers to use both to make cheap calls without either of them earning much or indeed any revenue

Message 11 of 16
by: zuberb
on: 11/04/2010 | 21:38 edited: 11/04/2010 | 21:39

I guess it also depends of what phone you are using, but I found skype on 3 to be a bit hit  and miss.

On the HTC Hero, it would work sometimes provided you turned off wifi. Others, you had to go out of wifi range before it would login. Otherwise, it would always try and connect to wifi first.

All this despite the fact that once logged in it still used a dial up number or your calls. So why disable wifi login ...

Can't use skype to call uk phone lines either, but that is understandable I guess.

App does not work on the nexus yet. Not sure if it ever will...

Zuber

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 12 of 16
by: hg
on: 11/04/2010 | 21:55

Hi zuberb,

I'm wondering why you think you can't use Skype to dial UK 'phone lines, since I can.

I thought at first you might be referring to a specific handset but, on reflection, if you can get into Skype at all, you should be able to dial UK numbers without a problem.  You're not getting tangled-up with the international code are you ?

I seem to remember having a handset once, ages ago, which had a bad habit of catching me out with that.

Just curious Smiley Indifferent

hg

Message 13 of 16
on: 12/04/2010 | 10:00

Hi hg,

Using the official skype application from 3 on the HTC Hero, I was able to make international call, but when I tried dialing local UK numbers it would refuse. Been a while, so I can't remember the exact problem.

I was able to do it using something like fring, but that has other call quality issues.

Are you saying you were able to make skype calls to a UK landline using an official 3 skype mobile app ?

If so, I'd like to have another go at it. Though I've got a Nexus now and so unless they have done another update, the app probably won't work.

Could try it off my Nokia N82 though.

Thanks,

Zuber

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 14 of 16
by: andy0
on: 12/04/2010 | 10:38

zuberb wrote:

Using the official skype application from 3 on the HTC Hero, I was able to make international call, but when I tried dialing local UK numbers it would refuse. Been a while, so I can't remember the exact problem.

When they started Skype via 3, neither SkypeOut or SkypeIn could be used, but there seems to have been some relaxation.

I believe that SkypeOut is still barred from a 3 mobile for UK-bound calls, by agreement between 3 and Skype, as otherwise 3 would risk having little revenue at all

But there is probably scope for people making their own arrangements, of one sort or another. And that's the risk of any kind of VoIP for any landline or mobile networks, that it allows dilution of their revenues.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
on: 12/04/2010 | 11:02

Just tried making a UK call from my Nokia N82 using official Three supplied Skype App.

Comes back with a message saying you can't make UK call with it. So no change there.

Also installed a generic Skype App (nothing to do with 3) and that had no problem making the call (uses wifi or your 3g data allowance). But then if you are doing that, you could be on any network...

Only problem is, no proper Skype App (apart from the Three supplied one) for Android.

Zuber

Zuber

Message 16 of 16