Knowledge Base
Community

Instead of unlimited GG2GG why not free skype??

Started by: aks782
On: 08/04/2010 | 01:24
Replies: 15

by: aks782
on: 08/04/2010 | 01:24

After the internet usage stops being free if possible could GG look at making Skype free like 3 currently do.

Skype is a free service [like msn] where you make calls over the Internet. So long as your friends have a relatively new phone and Internet access [through wi-fi or free skype over GG as i am proposing] you can call each other for free. Personally a few of my friends are on skype but none are on GG, so this scheme would be useful to me more than the free GG2GG calls and texts.

It's only an idea, please leave your comments - whether you think its bad or good.

For a giffgaff sim with £5 FREE CREDIT when you activate, click here

Message 1 of 16
by: andy0
on: 08/04/2010 | 01:56

It seems that giffgaff's idea of free calls between its own customers is one of its selling points, so pretty unlikely to be dropped so soon

It might be that the contract between 3 and Skype precludes it being offered free via other networks. Also it gives away part of the mobile networks' revenue, so makes things more expensive for other customers.

You could contact Skype users anyway of course, by using methods that entail paying for the access calls.

Message 2 of 16
by: borobabe
on: 09/04/2010 | 13:03
3 bought Skype out some time ago, and they own the entire mobile arm of Skype. This means that Skype on mobiles can only be offered free to customers of the 3 network. You may be able to get it via sites such as Nimbuzz, Fring, Ebuddy etc, but that will come out of your data usage. There is also a Skype Lite, but there are "per message" costs associated with that.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 16
by: ragnorak
on: 09/04/2010 | 13:12

I prefer the idea of free giffgaff calls and texts myself, Skype is a bit fiddly for mobile use.

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 4 of 16
on: 09/04/2010 | 13:40
The quality of calls on Skype can be iffy too, at times. Then again, that could be because of the transmitters on 3. I do a lot of background work with the 3 Skype team, and a lot of the problems are being addressed, but there is still a long way to go with it yet.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 16
by: paul_shirley
on: 09/04/2010 | 13:51 edited: 09/04/2010 | 13:53

@borobabe wrote:
3 bought Skype out some time ago, and they own the entire mobile arm of Skype..

Do you have a reference for that? Seems extremely unlikely - not least because Verizon just launched their version in the states. The other UK networks just dont seem to want to allow Skype.

@borobabe wrote:
There is also a Skype Lite, but there are "per message" costs associated with that.

You do know that Skype on 3 is just a rebranded iSkoot (which is essentially Skype Lite), the "3" extra is a freecall number for the voice connection so it doesn't eat minutes.

Remember that free Skype on 3 comes with a 20p/min 10p/SMS call tariff. I doubt we'll see completely free Skype or other VOIP calls any time soon on ouur 8p/4p rate.

Finally: there's a nice long meandering thread Provide-a-VOIP-gateway covering roughly the same subject though focussed on SIP. Its possible to gate into Skype once SIP access is in place.

Message 6 of 16
by: peeter
on: 09/04/2010 | 13:53

I also much prefer free giffgaff to giffgaff calls and texts. I have tried Skype via 3 and I was far from impressed.

Message 7 of 16
on: 09/04/2010 | 14:19
Official Skype support is available as part of X-Series together with mobile operator 3. However this uses a regular mobile phone call and iskoot to a Skype gateway, rather than mobile internet. Other companies produce dedicated Skype phones which connect via WiFi. So to connect through the mobile's own connection, rather than wi-fi or third party operators, you have to use a 3 phone. Handsets not on 3, using a version of Skype, will connect using different methods, such as wi-fi, etc. To use Skype on a 3 phone, you do not need any call credit on your phone, as the call or message is completely free. I know this for a fact, as family members have 3 phones with no credit and use Skype on them regularly for call and messages.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 16
by: theklf99
on: 09/04/2010 | 19:08

@aks782 wrote:

After the internet usage stops being free if possible could GG look at making Skype free like 3 currently do.

Skype is a free service [like msn] where you make calls over the Internet. So long as your friends have a relatively new phone and Internet access [through wi-fi or free skype over GG as i am proposing] you can call each other for free. Personally a few of my friends are on skype but none are on GG, so this scheme would be useful to me more than the free GG2GG calls and texts.

It's only an idea, please leave your comments - whether you think its bad or good.

Skype is part owned by Hutchinson 3G hence the reason why 3 allow free Skype calls as they bought it off eBay (looks like though eBay sold them a dead horse!).

Skype is actually very expensive compared to some of the others and nowhere near as convenient. 

I'm on Vonage at home which I use all the time as it's one fixed rate for all my phone calls, and it allowed me to keep my own number, unlike Skype. 

There is also other VOIP services like VOIPStunt, which is way more useful than Skype.  They offer free calls to quite a few countries just for a £10 top-up every 3 months.  Now if that was on GiffGaff that would be pretty amazing. 

At present VOIPStunt do offer a local number you can call so you only get charged local rates for an international call, not much point though if your just calling UK to UK, as they allow UK to UK free, but then you have to pay for the local call so your paying more.

On top of that there is numerous calling cards out there most with freephone numbers that far beat Skype anyway - this is what caused most of the other phone networks to start charging for freephone numbers, as people were using these to make really cheap calls (one of my first contract phones was Orange 15 which was £15 a month for 15 minutes (back in 1998), with free to freephone numbers, so I used to use my Telco calling card on it which worked out about 1p a minute, instead of £1 a minute).

Message 9 of 16
by: aks782
on: 09/04/2010 | 20:50

persoanlly i love skype, but i guess im alone on that lool

thanks to everyone who posted a comment btw

For a giffgaff sim with £5 FREE CREDIT when you activate, click here

Message 10 of 16