Community

Internet Speeds - Phone or Network?

Started by: wyvernred
On: 04/09/2015 | 23:31
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: wyvernred
on: 04/09/2015 | 23:31
I've seen so much stuff on the giffgaff forums regarding 3/4g speeds on the network.

I don't own a 4g phone so I can't comment on 4g speeds, but I am wondering if the specs of your phone has anything to do with internet speed?, eg, I have two phones that I use for the internet (WiFi and mobile internet.)

The first phone is a Alcatel Pop C1, running on Android 4.2, with a staggering 512mb ram. This phone isn't particularly fast on WiFi, and I use an EE sim on this phone just for data, and the speed on the mobile broadband isn't great either.

On the other hand, my main mobile phone is a Microsoft Lumia 435 running on Windows. This has 1gb ram, and the WiFi is a little faster than on the Android phone, but the giffgaff internet speed is pretty good on the windows phone, sometimes faster or equal to the WiFi speeds on my Windows phone.

The point is, does ram on your phone make any difference in the speed of your internet? (Whether mobile broadband or WiFi?)

From my above examples, the two phones I use seem to have conflicting contrasts in speeds on my WiFi and mobile Internet usage.

Do you also think It would make any difference in my internet speeds if I was to upgrade to fibre broadband?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: phillsibson
on: 05/09/2015 | 00:36

@wyvernred

As others have mentioned, just like PCs, the better spec the phone & its software, the faster the perceived speed will be.

On the broadband side of things, I'm also on plusnet - I get faster speeds, than you, but only since upgrading my router.

It also depends a lot (just like 3/4g) where you are & how far your phone is from the nearest substation/whatever.

It is worth calling plusnet (they are based in uk and very helpfull) and checking the max speed you should be expecting on your line, talking about an upgraded router or if there are any options re fiber etc.

in short..

a new phone with better spec will make better use of whatever bandwidth you have (although if you are in a poor signal/over subscribed area, the results will always be poor)

A new faster router (or one that can use a lines faster modes) & newer/better spec. pc/laptop/phone will do the same for broadband.

For best performance on broadband, use a network cable into the laptop/pc, wifi will vary in performance from one room to the next - or even from one end of a room to the other.

Hope it helps

Message 8 of 11
by: vorb
on: 04/09/2015 | 23:35
My iPhone 4S (512MB of RAM) and my Galaxy S4 (2GB of RAM) are both super slow on giffgaff.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

- Terry Pratchett, Eric
Message 2 of 11
by: i_am_sy
on: 04/09/2015 | 23:36
Hi it won't make any differents in terms of WiFi speeds.

However the WiFi components in each phone maybe diffrent with one giving a better connection I.e. category N over G which is like going from 3g to 4g sort of difference.

And also the speed of the phone, RAM/prossesor will make a big difference in prossesing time so even if the phones received the webpage just as quick as each other. The more powerful one will be able to display it faster.
Message 3 of 11
by: damiendta
on: 04/09/2015 | 23:42
Ram in general enables a phone to operate faster. Also newer models are able to run on a higher WiFi band as well meaning when using the home connection the speed should be way faster an example. Virgin media have a 2k and a 5k router on the slower one u would get speeds of say 50 meg but on the higher band u take full advantage of the speed so could get 120 meg plus
Message 5 of 11
by: damiendta
on: 04/09/2015 | 23:44
On my moto g I don't have much ram and it makes the phone quite slow in operation but the data can be OK speed wise
Message 6 of 11
on: 04/09/2015 | 23:45
@damiendta

Thank you for the info. Sadly I'm not on virgin broadband and are with plus net with a maximum line speed of around 5.40mbSmiley Sad
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
by: phillsibson
on: 05/09/2015 | 00:36

@wyvernred

As others have mentioned, just like PCs, the better spec the phone & its software, the faster the perceived speed will be.

On the broadband side of things, I'm also on plusnet - I get faster speeds, than you, but only since upgrading my router.

It also depends a lot (just like 3/4g) where you are & how far your phone is from the nearest substation/whatever.

It is worth calling plusnet (they are based in uk and very helpfull) and checking the max speed you should be expecting on your line, talking about an upgraded router or if there are any options re fiber etc.

in short..

a new phone with better spec will make better use of whatever bandwidth you have (although if you are in a poor signal/over subscribed area, the results will always be poor)

A new faster router (or one that can use a lines faster modes) & newer/better spec. pc/laptop/phone will do the same for broadband.

For best performance on broadband, use a network cable into the laptop/pc, wifi will vary in performance from one room to the next - or even from one end of a room to the other.

Hope it helps

Message 8 of 11
on: 05/09/2015 | 09:09
@phillisibson

Thank you so much for the info you've provided. This has really helped.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 11
on: 05/09/2015 | 09:14
@phillisibson. I also changed the WiFi channel as there was quite a few routers using the same WiFi channel as me. Alas my main phone junction box is by my front door so I don't have Easy access to use an Ethernet cable for internet access.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 11