Knowledge Base
Community

Introducing our new phone finder - What do you think?

Started by: giffgaffer_iain
On: 18/06/2018 | 10:31
Replies: 35

by: giffgaffer_iain
handy giff-staffer

on: 18/06/2018 | 10:31

Hi community,

My name is Iain. I've been with giffgaff for a while but I only introduced myself to the forum at the start of the year.  Most recently I've been having some fun working closely with the phones team.

At giffgaff we love working with all the different handsets in our range every day, but we’re well aware that some members perhaps aren’t quite as interested or don’t have the time to look into the finer technical details of each of our phones.

This can make choosing a new phone hard, and at giffgaff, we like to try to make things easy, so I wanted to give you all a sneak peek of something we’re hoping to introduce to help members who aren’t so sure what phone is best for them, and who might perhaps get a little overwhelmed by all the choices on offer to them.

It’s called the phone finder and aims to suggest the phones that are suitable for a member based on a set of simple questions about what they need from a phone.

Why not take a look – the link is here: http://phonefinder.giffgaff.com/

As always, we’d love to know what you think. All comments welcome, especially:

• Did you find it easy to understand and use?
  • What do you think of the phones being suggested, are they what you’d expect?
  • Overall, if you are someone who isn’t sure which of the many phones on the market is the right fit, would this tool help?

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom! 

Kind regards

Iain and the giffgaff phones team

Message 1 of 36
by: davidevans0000
on: 18/06/2018 | 10:42
@giffgaffer_iain I have give it a go and it seems to work ok from your link.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 36
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 18/06/2018 | 10:52

giffgaffer_iain wrote:

Hi community,

My name is Iain. I've been with giffgaff for a while but I only introduced myself to the forum at the start of the year.  Most recently I've been having some fun working closely with the phones team.

At giffgaff we love working with all the different handsets in our range every day, but we’re well aware that some members perhaps aren’t quite as interested or don’t have the time to look into the finer technical details of each of our phones.

This can make choosing a new phone hard, and at giffgaff, we like to try to make things easy, so I wanted to give you all a sneak peek of something we’re hoping to introduce to help members who aren’t so sure what phone is best for them, and who might perhaps get a little overwhelmed by all the choices on offer to them.

It’s called the phone finder and aims to suggest the phones that are suitable for a member based on a set of simple questions about what they need from a phone.

Why not take a look – the link is here: http://phonefinder.giffgaff.com/

As always, we’d love to know what you think. All comments welcome, especially:

• Did you find it easy to understand and use?
  • What do you think of the phones being suggested, are they what you’d expect?
  • Overall, if you are someone who isn’t sure which of the many phones on the market is the right fit, would this tool help?

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom! 

Kind regards

Iain and the giffgaff phones team

@giffgaffer_iain wow this is an awesome feature.

I've just tried it and the link works fine

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 36
by: allan1954
on: 18/06/2018 | 10:58
@giffgaffer_iain same here tried a couple of phones and from your link, it works great.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 36
by: the_islander
on: 18/06/2018 | 11:19
@giffgaffer_iain looks like it's working well, I was shown the kind of phones I'd expect from my searches.

It certainly looks like it would help many a would be buyer.

My only suggestion is that it would be easier to be able to view the link to the phone's full details before clicking "checkout" on the page because although it says 'continue configuring on the next page", that doesn't suggest to me that I'll be able to see the phone in more detail on the following page or that's where I can find the link for the proper phone details and specs. From the few bullet points about the phones shown wouldn't necessarily convince me to click "checkout" and see the next page. ... Hope that makes sense.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 36
by: revilo10
on: 18/06/2018 | 11:27 edited: 18/06/2018 | 11:28

Looking good! Very helpful. I like how the tool instantly takes you from the phone to the checkout so there is no need to mess around and separately go onto another page.

I think that maybe the pricing boundaries need changing a little since I asked for a low-priced phone and got a £700 iPhone. I also agree with @the_islander in saying that we should maybe see a few more specs about the phone before reaching the checkout, but overall I think that if you can fix just a few little details like that then this platform will be a big success. Also, maybe market it a little more over the forum or get your social media guys to post out about this one Smiley Wink

Read the latest edition of the gaff on the Contribute board here!

Feel free to drop me a PM anytime if you ever need anything or want to suggest a Tech Devs topic!
Message 6 of 36
by: mark1101b
on: 18/06/2018 | 12:20
Cheers Ian..Tried it ...works well

Message 7 of 36
by: frenchielove
on: 18/06/2018 | 12:41

Ha ha @giffgaffer_iain that was easy and it suggested the phone I have not long purchased from giffgaff, thanks 

Message 8 of 36
by: persco
on: 18/06/2018 | 12:50

I like this too. Really handy. 

Could the phone specs be added somewhere if possible as well? Reason I ask for the specs is the continuous questions we get about whether giffgaff sells dual phones and the storage capacity questions. 

Also, I tried a few and never saw refurbished phones populate or are they not part of this?

There is a nice flow to the results as well at least on my iPhone that I quite like. We definitely use it if I was to search for a phone. 

Excellent work. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 36
by: suppers_ready
on: 18/06/2018 | 12:52 edited: 18/06/2018 | 12:53

The link worked for me. It came up with two iphones, despite me clicking on the android fan button. The other was an S9 (currently running an S6+) so pretty close on the android front, although I'd go for the oneplus 6 if I could justify the cost.

Message 10 of 36