Knowledge Base
Community

Is gg website using my broadband connection?

Started by: giffgaffprepper
On: 08/02/2018 | 19:16
Replies: 3

by: giffgaffprepper
on: 08/02/2018 | 19:16

something I've noticed - my internet connection to gg slows down after approx 30 minutes, my computer ram usage goes up, but the only thing that is open is my web browser

is gg piggy backing off my broadband connection?

Message 1 of 4
by: lynmouth1
on: 08/02/2018 | 19:42
There is probably a more local issue such as broadband congestion where you live, cache needs clearing, excessive background programs running or maybe even such things as a defrag required?
Message 2 of 4
by: mcilwraith
on: 08/02/2018 | 19:44

it could be somebody piggybacking but its not giffgaff

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
by: harrrrrry
on: 09/02/2018 | 00:47

@giffgaffprepper

Some possibilities:

• apps on your phone -- try disabling any that were not put there by the manufacturer (maybe even try a factory reset to get rid of any you can't disable or don't know about). Make sure your essential data is backed up first Smiley Surprised
  • could it be the phone doing a software update? Updates are best set to wifi only in your phone settings so they do not use the data you're paying for
  • If you have an iPhone, wifi assist also has to be turned off to prevent using mobile data when you thought you were using wifi
  • Similarly, recent samsungs need smart networking set to off
  • if you have set up a wifi hotspot, it's important that any windows 10 device which connects to it declares the hotspot as a metered connection to prevent microsoft using it as a free update distribution service. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 4