Knowledge Base
Community

Is giffgaff's reactive moderation policy damaging to the community?

Started by: extreme_one
On: 03/10/2018 | 14:06
Replies: 27

by: extreme_one
on: 03/10/2018 | 14:06 edited: 03/10/2018 | 14:07

As we all know, giffgaff moderators only involve themselves, when they're called to action, when other members report posts.

This can, and does, lead to inconcistency in how discussions and debates are allowed, or not, to progress.

I have seen many examples of members being quite rude to one another with no moderator intervention. These conflicts have clearly upset nobody enough to press the Report button.

I have also seen other examples where posts have been removed over the slightest thing, because the report button was pressed.

This inconsistent approach to the community only serves to cause confusion.

I really don't think this reactive policy works well, and a more proactive stance would help to ensure fairness and consistency.

Other, larger, forums manage this perfectly well without paid staff, run purely with the assistance of volunteers, so giffgaff really has no excuse to be providing such a haphazard approach to community moderation.

If this can be taken 2 ways, and 1 offends, I probably meant the other way. Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 28
by: kath72
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:23
In one word ... ‘yes’

Inconsistencies in moderation is a big issue in the forums and one reason for this is that educators are not ‘out and about’ themselves ... it’s like the head teacher sitting in the staff room waiting for the kids to come and say if there’s a problem rather than being out in the playground interacting and making sure everyone plays nicely cos he’s (or she) is involved.

The net result is certain things or people get reported and others don’t! I guess the answer is to report everything we see

But then I’ve heard that the head gets annoyed that the same pupil keeps coming knocking on their door disturbing their tea break and that pupil gets into trouble for over reporting 😮😮
Message 2 of 28
by: k89bpa
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:27 edited: 03/10/2018 | 16:30
Honestly, maybe it's time to give them a break...

Aside from the one personal experience I'm obviously not going to be permitted to talk about the general way in which the moderators behave towards people in my albeit limited experience has dramatically improved compared to the last year or two.

It's pretty obvious that significant efforts have been made to improve the overall situation by the majority of the moderation team, (both sets of them).

I would not favour further changes until we move to the Vanilla platform, primarily because that software has the functionality to ignore users, (it wipes their existence from view, affecting the whole forum, not just PM's).

If giffgaff allow us to make use of this facility there's going to be a lot less need for any further changes as we will all be able to simply wipe those members we would rather not see from our view.

This functionality would be a godsend, I've used it on Reddit and it makes life so much easier and interacting there much more pleasant, (it wipes out not just the posts of the people you have ignored but the whole thread from the point of their interaction forward, it's so good).

If giffgaff don't turn that function on for us to use then perhaps that would be the right time to discuss this topic.

With the platform change happening we really need to see what functionality we are given to self-moderate before making any more changes.
Message 3 of 28
by: revjonty
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:28
I've reported this thread as it is far too logical to be allowed to stand.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 28
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:34
@k89pba
That functionality sounds ideal for those who like the sound of their own voice, or people who agree with them and nothing else, but for those of us who are happy to be challenged, and enjoy a debate it sounds like hell.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 28
by: blackfive460
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:50

@revjonty wrote:

@k89pba
That functionality sounds ideal for those who like the sound of their own voice, or people who agree with them and nothing else, but for those of us who are happy to be challenged, and enjoy a debate it sounds like hell.

+1

Message 6 of 28
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:50
Why @revjonty?

How would you be negatively impacted if someone chose to use the ignore function to remove your posts from their view?

The likelihood that they would reply to you even if they saw the post(s) is spectacularly low anyway, so I'm not sure how it would make much of a difference to those like myself who enjoy a debate.

I've certainly noticed no negative effects from the functionality being available on Reddit, there are still plenty of people to butt heads with on various different topics and over various ideas.

I see it very much as an adblocker for irritating personalities. Those who rub us up the wrong way.

I suppose it could be used to create an echo chamber, but what's the harm in that if it improves the experience for the majority?
Message 7 of 28
on: 03/10/2018 | 16:58
The negative impact is on the forums as a whole.
You would just end up with a load of ill informed prats congratulating each other on how wonderful they all are, never hearing a word of descent.
I would not use such functionality, others would to the detriment of all.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 28
on: 03/10/2018 | 17:11
Then let them.

There is no rule in life that says if you have or express an opinion that you have to listen to opposing views.

If they want an echo chamber, let them have an echo chamber.

There will be plenty of others who enjoy debate and can't resist continuing to step into battle.

The only issue I can potentially see is people becoming REALLY annoyed/sensitive when they suspect or realise that they have been placed on ignore by someone, but tough, nobody is obligated to listen to another.
Message 9 of 28
on: 03/10/2018 | 17:41
it wipes out not just the posts of the people you have ignored but the whole thread from the point of their interaction forward, it's so good
Unquote

So as soon as someone you've blocked posts a comment the conversation is over?
Great way to hand power to those who want to stifle debate.

Anyway, enough of this digression (see what I did there?)

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 28