Knowledge Base
Community

Is our SIM packaging design being mistaken for spam mail?

Started by: prescilla_g
On: 09/11/2018 | 12:19
Replies: 93

by: ujo55
on: 10/11/2018 | 08:45
The present design of packaging for the SIM seems to have been designed specifically to look like spam mail, if that is the reason they go missing I am unconvinced however, but they certainly do not give a good impression of giffgaff.
I prefer the new packaging, however:
- Putting a message on the front of the envelope which suggests it is preloaded with £10, is not only confusing it is much MORE likely to ensure it goes missing.
- Having the over familiar 'Hello XXXX' on large type on the outside of the envelope I find off putting and I feel it raise privacy concerns. This distracts from the packaging and impression of the company it certainly doesn't enhance it.

Finally I agree with others why not a more or less plain envelope with just the GG logo on the top RHS, it would be far better.
Message 21 of 94
by: figment_uk
on: 10/11/2018 | 09:01

@prescilla_g

You "recently got some insight that sometimes, SIMs never make their arrival to their beloved owner " ???   This has been an issue for the 4 + years I have been a member.

Does the old design look like junk mail? - YES

Does the new design look like junk mail? - YES

The SIM packaging design team really need to take a step back and ask themselves if they would be happy if a letter from their  bank had the phrase "Hello giffgaff SIM packaging design team, your brand new shiny credit card is enclosed"

A simple plain white or brown envelope with the giffgaff logo in the top-left corner and a return address on the back is all that is required - Less cost, less waste, less impact on the environment, and less chance of ending up in the junk mail pile.

envelope.jpg

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 22 of 94
by: ujo55
on: 10/11/2018 | 09:18
@figment_uk
Yes we all know that's what required and would be the best solution.
But how could the SIM packaging design team justify their salary or even existence if they proposed using a plain white envelope?
Message 23 of 94
by: jokeyboi77
on: 10/11/2018 | 09:50

@prescilla_g

Instead of changing the packaging why not change the delivery method and hire the milk tray man to deliver the sims! He'd be grateful for the work. 😜

Seriously though I must have a good postman because my sims are always delivered, not that I order a lot, but they've always arrived. But I like @figment_uk's design because it does look more professional/business like and the current design looks like giffgaff has been at the LSD! 😜

But people who dismiss mail as junk mail and throw it in the bin without checking must be very trusting because their name and address is on there and with alot of fraud going on you'd think they'd be more careful and check what they're throwing out and realise it's a giffgaff sim. But I'd definitely go for the plain and simple look.

Message 24 of 94
by: davidevans0000
on: 10/11/2018 | 09:55
@prescilla_g the current design ok for me as its easy to read wit it having the white background.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 25 of 94
by: rqt
on: 10/11/2018 | 10:22 edited: 10/11/2018 | 10:24

@prescilla_g

Do not give this a great deal of thought.

Do not have a "design team"

Just use a little common sense - plain packaging required - @figment_uk 's design  suggestion looks ideal.

Message 26 of 94
by: allan1954
on: 10/11/2018 | 10:43
@prescilla_g i would go with what @figment_uk has suggested could save giffgaff money in the long run.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 27 of 94
by: endorphin
on: 10/11/2018 | 11:19 edited: 10/11/2018 | 11:20

@prescilla_g I agree with the sentiment that spam mail tends to be sent in eye catching, often colourful, envelopes whereas serious correspondence usually comes in white or brown envelopes with a single, small, company logo or strap line in one corner.

Having said that other mobile network's deliver their SIMs in eye catching, colourful envelopes (er, so I've been told). I presume that this is done as part of not so subliminal advertising to catch the eye of all those who handle the envelopes. I think that giffgaff should buck this trend and do their own thing! Smiley Wink

figment_uk's design here is what I would see as a good design which should improve successful delivery rates.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 28 of 94
by: mcilwraith
on: 10/11/2018 | 11:34

@zakrs wrote:

Just one suggestion. 

"We've got your plan and sim card inside" suggests that inside there is a sim card loaded with money (£10) so it could be a target for...stealing? 

i agree with that and the plainer the better

Message 29 of 94
by: isabel1066
on: 10/11/2018 | 12:22
@prescilla_g none of my friends who have received sim cards has ever mentioned the packet as looking like junk mail all they said was they were pleased they got them quickly.so for me the current offerings are about right.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 30 of 94