Knowledge Base
Community

Lower value goodybag to keep up with competition at the bottom end?

Started by: goldengirl
On: 02/02/2018 | 21:47
Replies: 20

Go to best answer
by: goldengirl
on: 02/02/2018 | 21:47

I propose a £3 month goodybag. And maybe a texts only goodybag.

There is an impressive range of goodybags but giffgaff is being undercut by some other providers. 

In health and social care there are lots of teams of people who need a phone but hardly need any minutes. You might have one to check in or out if you are doing home visits, or just to send text reminders to clients, or to be contactable, but not need to really make any calls from it as those are done from the office phone. As such, in the Trust that I work in there are providers who supply sims at 2.50 per month. It is such a low amount you might not think that it is worthwhile, but the thing is that they buy these in large quantities. It could be that you sell batches of 5 or 10, so that you can only buy them in multiples to suit business customers? Not sure if that works but trying to think what would make it worth your while.

A text only sim? Or at least one with more texts. 1000 texts and  60 minutes?

Message 1 of 21
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: max_speed
on: 03/02/2018 | 10:24
I like this idea of an even lower tariff than £5.00, it would appeal to a great number of people and I feel long term GiffGaff would enjoy a greater income, based on the fact of people seeing the £3.00/£2.50 tariff would join Giffgaff and later feel the need for maybe data or an increase in text or calls with the result of increasing their subscription.
J.
Message 11 of 21
by: ebarrxo
on: 02/02/2018 | 22:59
I like this! my mum has just joined giffgaff and doesn't use data so I think she would benefit from a calls or texts only goodybag!
Message 2 of 21
by: ujo55
on: 02/02/2018 | 23:06
The decision would of course be up to GiffGaff however unfortunately I doubt that they would go for it.
As all SIMs are identical it would not matter if they were purchased separately or in multiples, the cost would be in processing the monthly topup, also GiffGaff seem reluctant to go down the road of bespoke goodybags.
Finally the GiffGaff service is for personal not business use, business use is left to its big sister O2. As such group texting is not allowed on GiffGaff and strictly enforced, but I could see it being a definite requirement for people within the trust to keep in touch.
Message 3 of 21
by: koshka
on: 02/02/2018 | 23:34

The £5 bag is really only a text and minutes bag. The data, originally 20mb was just added as a freebie bonus. So that is the price point giffgaff choose for that product. If you check out labs you will find ideas similar to what you ask. Add support to the one closest to what you want  for any chance of getting it.

Message 4 of 21
by: tradertall
on: 02/02/2018 | 23:47

goldengirl wrote:

As such, in the Trust that I work in there are providers who supply sims at 2.50 per month.

Which provider is that?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 21
by: magspider
on: 03/02/2018 | 03:16 edited: 03/02/2018 | 03:18

Broadly I agree that giffgaff is failing to compete in the super low category. Most discount providers beat the current £5 goody bag with their advertised deals. Then factor in that many operators have unlisted low end, SIM-only deals that they offer to retain customers or people who kick up a fuss and want good value. 

Someone I know is on an unlisted £4/month with Three for more minutes, texts and data than they can use. I've seen £4 and £3 bundles from the likes of iD and Delight amongst others. While the service may be questionable on some of these, the value is definitely there. Then there's both Smarty and Sky effectively offering unlimited texts and minutes for £5.

It's really the convenience of starting, stopping, chopping and changing which is the only advantage here.

[ No spiders were harmed in the making of this post ]

Join giffgaff, get £5 free bonus credit
Message 6 of 21
by: kath72
on: 03/02/2018 | 07:41
I think as well there has to be a minimum price point because of the free gg calls ... With a £2.50 bag it could cost £10 a year for those instead of £20 at the moment.
I suspect that's another reason GG don't offer lower priced bags
Message 7 of 21
by: mrboring
on: 03/02/2018 | 07:50
I agree giffgaff are losing out on price to the big boys. I'm a member but because I've a broadband package I get 4gb of 4G that rolls over each month for £8 to date 7.8gb this month of 4G. I did at one time use the £20 goody bag but as your slowed after 6Gb use I no longer buy it. Another thing everyone needs to remember with so much free wifi access data packages are not so much important. If you try to cater for every one's package idea's the cost of running giffgaff would rise and push up the value goody bags that are already available.
Message 8 of 21
by: mcilwraith
on: 03/02/2018 | 08:59

you cant please all of the people all of......etc.etc

Message 9 of 21
by: rosstheboss1
on: 03/02/2018 | 10:05
I would suggest this would not be financially viable to Giffgaff.
Message 10 of 21