Community

Membername change under GDPR

Started by: shabazmoqsud
On: 29/01/2019 | 17:28
Replies: 17

by: shabazmoqsud
on: 29/01/2019 | 17:28

Hi All

Just wanted to know if we as members have a right to anonimity on a public forum especially given roxy and henna posted a thread our right to be forgotten or simething to that affect some months ago

Can we request a membername change under GDPR?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 18
by: waggie1951
on: 29/01/2019 | 17:48

@shabazmoqsud

Surely, the majority of members don't actually use their real names for their accounts, so this is not a GDPR issue.

If you look at members' names, for the majority, they are effectively anonymous as they have chosen a contrived name rhan using their real name.

Message 2 of 18
by: sameole
on: 29/01/2019 | 18:05 edited: 29/01/2019 | 18:06

@shabazmoqsudwrote:

Hi All

Just wanted to know if we as members have a right to anonimity on a public forum especially given roxy and henna posted a thread our right to be forgotten or simething to that affect some months ago

Can we request a membername change under GDPR?

@shabazmoqsud

Wouldn't invoking the right to be forgotten under GDPR result in the removal or anonymisation of information and posts which wouldn't be the same as changing a username?

Message 3 of 18
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 29/01/2019 | 18:26

@waggie1951 wrote:

@shabazmoqsud

Surely, the majority of members don't actually use their real names for their accounts, so this is not a GDPR issue.

If you look at members' names, for the majority, they are effectively anonymous as they have chosen a contrived name rhan using their real name.

@waggie1951 alot of members have used there real names either forename or surname or both

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 18
by: figment_uk
on: 30/01/2019 | 09:18

@shabazmoqsud

Your right to be forgotten would result in your account being closed down and your SIM terminated.

The only way currently for an existing member to change their member name whilst keeping their number is to port your number to a different network provider and then porting it back 24-48 (or more) hours later to a different / new giffgaff account - with all the loss of credit, goodybags, payback, account history and the expense of setting up the temporary account elsewhere and the new giffgaff account - that would involve. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 6 of 18
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 30/01/2019 | 17:53

@waggie1951 wrote:

@shabazmoqsud

@waggie1951

Over the years seen many obvious real names and people asking to change it 

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 7 of 18
by: c_lockett
on: 30/01/2019 | 19:04

@waggie1951 wrote:

@shabazmoqsud

@waggie1951 When I first joined Giffgaff I didn't know about the forums, and my user name seemed appropriate for use for my account purposes. However now I've discovered the joys of the forums, I sometimes wish I had a member name with a little more annominity. 

Message 8 of 18
by: waggie1951
on: 30/01/2019 | 19:32

@c_lockett

Worth starting a new account?

Message 9 of 18
by: c_lockett
on: 30/01/2019 | 20:30

@waggie1951 wrote:

@c_lockett

Worth starting a new account?

No don't think so been with Giffgaff for over 5 years now. Seems a shame to start from scratch again. Then I don't know if I'd have to change my number. I've had the same one 11 years. Just sometimes I think about account security and all that you know. @waggie1951  Maybe unnecessary worry who knows. 

Message 10 of 18