Community

Mobile Internet Settings - Help needed

Started by: piffpaff
On: 03/08/2011 | 21:50
Replies: 35

Highlighted
by: piffpaff
on: 03/08/2011 | 21:50 edited: 15/08/2011 | 14:11

Just a quick introduction – Kapil here - I’ve joined the giffgaff team as an intern; I’ve just posted a little speech to welcome myself, so now it’s back to work!

After the giffgaff goodies challenge #3, we asked members if they hadn’t managed to set up their mobile internet to pop in their handset type.

So, as a follow up we decided it would be a good idea to direct these people to the right place to get their internet settings sorted simply.

I’ve popped a list of these handsets below – I’ve managed to find links to most of them, I’d be grateful if you could help me in finding settings for the ones that are missing so we can point them in the right direction:

Sending settings to ‘2020’ doesn’t always work – especially for some of the older handsets or the very new ones.

The generic manual settings which should work across all platforms with a bit of elbow grease can also be found here

So I’ve hyperlinked the ones I spotted, and  perhaps you may think there are better ones – please let me know and I can update them, thanks in advance!!

*N.B. Some below links may direct you to another phone guide, e.g. Nokia E51 link will take you to the Nokia N95 Guide; this does not mean you have been directed to the wrong link, it simply means the guide can be used for both phones.

HELP PLEASE: Any phone type that doesn't have a hyperlink already, please add your comment with a link to the relevant settings post/FAQ and Kapil will edit this post to include it. This will help direct those that have indicated they're having trouble getting their phone set up, properly giffgaffed - thanks! 

Alcatel

Blackberry

• it seems to me as if all Blackberries posted have been so far successful with this guide
  • Blackberry 8520 (See above)
  • Blackberry 8900 (See above)
  • Blackberry 9800 torch (See above)
  • Blackberry bold (See above)
  • Blackberry curve (See above)
  • Blackberry tour (See above)

Google

HP

• HP ipaq 6915 -

HTC

Android settings guide  

Huaweii

• Huaweii G6600

LG

Maemo

Motorola

Nokia

Orange

Palm

• Treo Pro

Samsung

Siemens

• Siemens a60 - handset does not support internet facilities.

Sony Ericsson

T-Mobile

• E200 VIBE –

Vigrin

• Lobster 700TV

Vodaphone

XDA

ZTE

Hope this helps those in need, and hope those can help me in my need to find out those missing settings! Together, WE CAN DO THIS PEOPLE!!

Cheers,

Kapil

----
A huge thanks to:
edgley
aandms
jps123

jamesd2010

subtle_minx

and anyone else i may have missed (please PM me so I can update this and thank you publicly!)

Unlock A Chicken
Message 1 of 36
by: aandms
on: 04/08/2011 | 11:00
Nokia c3 doesnt work just by texting 2020 do that then save them. Then Go to menu, settings, configuration, personal accounts, options, add new, access point, account name, enter giffgaff then hit ok, access point settings, bearer settings, username, enter giffgaff, ok, password, enter the word password, ok, back, back, back, back, preferred access point, select giffgaff. Lastly select default in all apps.
Get a free Giffgaff SimOr for a giffgaff hybrid sim (for all phones inc iphone 4, 4S and ipad) , also with £5 free credit but sent 1st class, fill in this form
Message 2 of 36
by: edgley
on: 04/08/2011 | 11:28
The N900 works correctly when texting settings to 2020. Not yet seen an issue.

Also not seen many people with the N900 though. If required I can write a quick guide to setting it up manually.
Message 3 of 36
by: aandms
on: 04/08/2011 | 11:38
those settings i entered also work for the x3 and x3-02
Get a free Giffgaff SimOr for a giffgaff hybrid sim (for all phones inc iphone 4, 4S and ipad) , also with £5 free credit but sent 1st class, fill in this form
Message 4 of 36
by: rong42
on: 04/08/2011 | 11:47

this is a great idea (i have a vague memory someone has tried this before?)

is it worth mentioning/linking to paul shirley's app for android phones in the OP?

Message 5 of 36
by: subtle_minx
on: 05/08/2011 | 12:47

Try these 2 links:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/giffgaffer-s-guide-to-Android/td-p/97392 -

This is the one I used to sort my settings for the Galaxy S and I'm a technophobe with a new mob Smiley Happy

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Android-Settings/m-p/54687#M1571 - thia is confirmed to work for:

UPDATE - Confirmed working for: HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC Dream, HTC Wildfire, Samsung Galaxy S, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy Apollo, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Sony Xperia X10 Mini, Motorola DEXT, LG GT540, Samsung Galaxy Europa, ZTE Blade

Hope they help...

minx

Message 6 of 36
by: jps123
on: 09/08/2011 | 12:25
The nokia 6700 slide works just with the text SETTINGS to 2020
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 36
by: rudedog
on: 09/08/2011 | 12:25

With the iPhone 2G and 3G, the idea will be the same as the 3GS.

What you need to do is go into Settings, General, Network, Enable 3G is on (iPhone 3G,3GS, 4 only), also ensure Cellular Data Network is ON. Then in the same scree, press Cellular Data Network, scroll down to the bottom of the page and do Reset Settings. Once done, input the settings again: Cellular Data – APN: giffgaff.com, Username: giffgaff, leave password the same. After that go straight to MMS, do exactly the same (iPhone 3g, 3GS and 4 only), APN: giffgaff.com , Username: giffgaff, leave password the same . Once done, press Network on the top left of the screen.  Then press the Home Button. Then do a Hard Reset - Hold home button and on/off button together until the phone switches off and let go of the buttons once the Apple logo appears.

Reach for the stars if anyone has helped you Smiley Wink Also Accept the best Solution Smiley Happy
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Make your own banner at MyBannerMaker.com!
Message 8 of 36
by: clairekav
former giff-staffer

on: 09/08/2011 | 13:28

@rudedog wrote:

With the iPhone 2G and 3G, the idea will be the same as the 3GS.

What you need to do is go into Settings, General, Network, Enable 3G is on (iPhone 3G,3GS, 4 only), also ensure Cellular Data Network is ON. Then in the same scree, press Cellular Data Network, scroll down to the bottom of the page and do Reset Settings. Once done, input the settings again: Cellular Data – APN: giffgaff.com, Username: giffgaff, leave password the same. After that go straight to MMS, do exactly the same (iPhone 3g, 3GS and 4 only), APN: giffgaff.com , Username: giffgaff, leave password the same . Once done, press Network on the top left of the screen.  Then press the Home Button. Then do a Hard Reset - Hold home button and on/off button together until the phone switches off and let go of the buttons once the Apple logo appears.

Thanks Rudedog, could/should this be added to this FAQ?

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
Message 9 of 36
by: clairekav
former giff-staffer

on: 09/08/2011 | 13:30

@subtle_minx wrote:

Try these 2 links:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/giffgaffer-s-guide-to-Android/td-p/97392 -

This is the one I used to sort my settings for the Galaxy S and I'm a technophobe with a new mob Smiley Happy

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Android-Settings/m-p/54687#M1571 - thia is confirmed to work for:

UPDATE - Confirmed working for: HTC Desire, HTC Hero, HTC Dream, HTC Wildfire, Samsung Galaxy S, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy Apollo, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Sony Xperia X10 Mini, Motorola DEXT, LG GT540, Samsung Galaxy Europa, ZTE Blade

Hope they help...

minx

thanks subtle_minx , is this the same info as in this FAQ - does something else need to be added do you think?

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
Message 10 of 36