Community

Mobile data speeds

Started by: egglassa
On: 26/06/2015 | 07:34
Replies: 23

Go to best answer
by: egglassa
on: 26/06/2015 | 07:34
Seen a lot of posts recently about poor data speeds. Quick poll, how do u find the data speed on giffgaff?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 24
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: mijthebarber
on: 26/06/2015 | 08:21
So there are lots of posts like yours @egglassa complaining of slow or non-existent data speeds on 3G. It seems that everyone across the nation is being affected, and there also seems to be some sort notion that GG throttling the speeds somehow. Now, earlier I was looking on a separate forum and somebody mentioned that O2 themselves throttle the data speeds for different people. It works like this, there are three tiers for data speeds.

Tier 1 speeds - O2 contract customers
Tier 2 speeds - O2 PAYG and Tesco Mobile customers
Tier 3 speeds - Giffgaff and other MVNO's

As you can see from the above GG are low down in the data chain when it comes to speeds, even tesco mobile customers get better preference over us.

Now, you should never believe what you read on the internet, so I decided to carry out my own test. My wife is on O2 with the same phone as mine so did some tests today using speedtest app. All speed tests were done at different times of the day to get an average.
These were the results:

O2 ping 46ms, d/l 7.23mbps, u/l 2.46mbps

GG ping 86ms, d/l 2.46mbps, u/l 1.65 Mbps

As you can see from the above there seems to be an element of truth in the above tier structure. If this is the same with 4G is ?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 24
by: titan33
on: 26/06/2015 | 07:38
my 3g is superb. I find with 4g on giffgaff its no quicker than my 3g.
im happy enough.
Message 2 of 24
by: helssimpson
on: 26/06/2015 | 07:41
My 4g is quicker than 3G can be patchy though getting 4g even when allegedly in a 4g area, but I wouldn't swap back to 3G !! I'd still recommend GG and a 4g package to new comers
Message 3 of 24
by: joshpz
on: 26/06/2015 | 07:42
@egglassa Personally I find giffgaff's 3G speed very slow particularly during the day. 3G and 4G coverage is also not a good as other networks I use. For giffgaff 3G daytime speed is usually 0.3-0.7Mb/s assuming I can even get 3G and 4G is usually more like slow 3G from other networks say 2Mb/s. Giffgaff is just my spare phone for calls and on my other network I generally get much better 3G/4G coverage and 3G speeds of around 5-20Mb/s even in the daytime and 4G is much quicker up to 80Mb/s.
Message 4 of 24
by: joshpz
on: 26/06/2015 | 07:47
@egglassa Just another point lots of giffgaff users will reply but often they don't provide any actual speed info just comments like it's good or bad. Ask those that say its good to post links to actual speed tests at different times of the day especially between 2pm and midnight so you can assess what "good" means. People use different apps and what's good for one is really poor for another so subjective "good"or "bad" without actual speed doesn't mean much hence a link to speed test results to show the actual data.
Message 5 of 24
by: mijthebarber
on: 26/06/2015 | 08:21
So there are lots of posts like yours @egglassa complaining of slow or non-existent data speeds on 3G. It seems that everyone across the nation is being affected, and there also seems to be some sort notion that GG throttling the speeds somehow. Now, earlier I was looking on a separate forum and somebody mentioned that O2 themselves throttle the data speeds for different people. It works like this, there are three tiers for data speeds.

Tier 1 speeds - O2 contract customers
Tier 2 speeds - O2 PAYG and Tesco Mobile customers
Tier 3 speeds - Giffgaff and other MVNO's

As you can see from the above GG are low down in the data chain when it comes to speeds, even tesco mobile customers get better preference over us.

Now, you should never believe what you read on the internet, so I decided to carry out my own test. My wife is on O2 with the same phone as mine so did some tests today using speedtest app. All speed tests were done at different times of the day to get an average.
These were the results:

O2 ping 46ms, d/l 7.23mbps, u/l 2.46mbps

GG ping 86ms, d/l 2.46mbps, u/l 1.65 Mbps

As you can see from the above there seems to be an element of truth in the above tier structure. If this is the same with 4G is ?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 24
by: subasht
on: 26/06/2015 | 12:47
yes, giffgaff's 4G is very much below par..

having said that i'm still happy with 3G as yet
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 24
by: nytram_1
on: 26/06/2015 | 13:04
Giffgaff 3G is about the same as there 4g pretty slow here that's why I left
Message 9 of 24
by: andyhurley
on: 26/06/2015 | 13:35
My 3g speed is typically around 0.2 Meg. I have had the occasional time greater than 1 Meg but this is rare. 2 years ago 2 Meg plus was the norm.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 24