Get Help
Community

Monochrome - Next website incarnation

Started by: k89bpa
On: 10/07/2018 | 14:17
Replies: 9

by: k89bpa
on: 10/07/2018 | 14:17

You know, since finding out that I can make my phone's display monochrome and actually doing so, from an aesthetic point of view this website has become much more pleasant and much less jarring to use. 

The usability issues persist of course, it doesn't fix them, but from a purely aesthetic perspective, it now the case that this website is no longer terrible. 

I highly recommend that when you next come to introduce a new design that you consider, seriously consider, adopting a monochrome approach. It makes everything much calmer, much less distracting, much easier on the eye, much less headache and eye ache inducing. 

I'm personally such a fan that I am yet to find a website which isn't improved significantly by now being monochrome rather than full colour. I'm even preferring videos and apps in monochrome, especially at higher brightness levels. 

Try it out, it's kinda jarring at first when you initially make the switch, but once you have gotten used to it it is a really pleasant experience, much more so than the alternative. 

PLEASE DO NOT KUDOS MY POSTS - THANK YOU
Message 1 of 10
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 10/07/2018 | 14:27

# @k89bpa how do u actually do that?

I would like to try and see if it makes it more pleasant to use

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 10
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 10/07/2018 | 14:35

@k89bpa never mind found setting after enabling developer option on my oneplus 5.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 10
on: 10/07/2018 | 14:38
On Android you go to system, then about phone, tap the build number seven times, enable developer options.

Go back to System, (on older iterations you may have to go back to the main settings page), enter developer options, find "Simulate colour space" and set that to grey scale, (it may be called monochrome or monochromacy on some devices).

Do not change anything else in developer options unless you know what you're doing.

If you don't like it, repeat the steps, from going into the developer options menu and select disabled instead of grey scale and your display will go back to normal.
Message 4 of 10
on: 10/07/2018 | 16:15

The BBC news website is positively beautiful in monochrome. 

Still yet to find a website which isn't improved by being in monochrome. 

Message 5 of 10
by: tradertall
on: 10/07/2018 | 16:57
interesting, i'd like to try
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 10
by: natty_noo
on: 10/07/2018 | 18:16
It's awful.

You'd have to keep changing the settings when you want to watch a video or look at your photos, otherwise everything stays in monochrome, including wallpaper/lock screen.

Not for me, it's awful.
Message 7 of 10
by: extreme_one
on: 10/07/2018 | 18:38

As a design choice, I can't see it taking off.

If this can be taken two ways, and one offends you, I probably meant the other way Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 10
on: 10/07/2018 | 19:27
@natty_noo

Whether people go all black and white or not is entirely their personal preference, I'm not advocating that one way or another.

I seriously prefer it, even with photos and videos, back when I was kinda into photography it was black and white photography I was obsessed with and I've gotta say, watching a few videos in black and white as I've done today, for me the appeal holds up, but it's for everyone to decide themselves in terms of whether to run their devices in that mode or not.

But the black and white version of this website looks so much better than the actual child puke version the designers went with. It's was less distracting and way calmer, less headache inducing too. A huge, huge improvement in the aesthetics, hence my advocating for it.

Although I don't suppose it matters to me personally as I won't be switching back to full colour probably ever now I've made the shift. It's so much easier on my eyes this way, not just this site but everything and it's made text even in weird fonts, so much easier to read as well.
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
on: 10/07/2018 | 19:33 edited: 10/07/2018 | 19:48
The only issue I've found is that it's just a screen overlay so screenshots still come out in colour which one would potentially have to be careful of, but otherwise it would be perfect. I wonder if there's manipulation which could be done at root or kernel level to enable true monochrome. That's the device specific stuff. I've been reading it is under accessibility settings on some devices, which makes a great deal of sense.
Message 10 of 10