Knowledge Base
Community

More than 60 days roaming for travellers! #vanlife

Started by: devonbeys
On: 13/07/2018 | 13:20
Replies: 6

by: devonbeys
on: 13/07/2018 | 13:20

With more and more people choosing to travel Europe giffgaff should support this by allowing travellers to prove that they are a UK resident and travelling for x amount of time and maybe give 180 days roaming....or more. 

I'm currently travelling Europe for the next year with my wife and son and have no idea what we will do for data after 60 days. Please giffgaff let us explore and stay on your network

=)

Message 1 of 7
by: various_mm
on: 13/07/2018 | 14:58
@devonbeys

just get a local sim in the country you are in as the costs of that would be way cheaper than roaming!

the rules on roaming in EU are set by EU, not giffgaff. if you are spending more than 60 days then just get a local network of the country you are in as that would mean cheaper ways to use your phone abroad.

hope this helps

If my answer resolved your query then please mark it as a ' solution '. Thank you!
Message 2 of 7
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 13/07/2018 | 15:02
Hope your problem is sorted!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 3 of 7
by: harrrrrry
on: 13/07/2018 | 15:55 edited: 13/07/2018 | 15:57

@devonbeys

The EU requirement is for roaming for 60 days at no extra charge.

If you want more than 60 days, then:

• it's reasonable to ask giffgaff to look into providing a special package that works in EU and works for a longer period, but
  • giffgaff has to pay the roaming partner for the service and therefore
  • you should expect to pay at least a little more for the service.

have no idea what we will do for data after 60 days

Actually, its already possible to continue using goodybags beyond 60 days -- by paying an EU-permitted supplement of 3.2p/minute, 1p/text, 0.6p/MB which has to be paid from credit outside your goodybag -- https://giffgaff.com/top-up

I believe the EU-permitted supplement is only slightly more than the EU-capped price that the roaming partners can charge giffgaff -- so that's a fair indication of how much extra you should be willing to pay if giffgaff were to provide extended roaming.

But probably there would be little point -- you might just as well continue with a normal goodybag and pay the supplement.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 7
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 13/07/2018 | 16:12

@devonbeys it would be cheaper to get a local sim of the country you are visiting and topup, rather than extend the roaming period more than 60 days.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
by: treasuretrove
on: 17/07/2018 | 10:08

In theory if you got a pay and go sim in say France, then when you travel round the next part of europe it would work there too?

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
by: tradertall
on: 17/07/2018 | 13:07

looks like you'll be reliant on wifi ! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 7