My username sucks and I want to change it

Started by: s
On: 09/06/2010 | 15:39
Replies: 23

Go to best answer
by: cgf
on: 09/06/2010 | 21:31 edited: 09/06/2010 | 21:35

xmob wrote: 

I would think that you would need a better reason than "I don't like the user name I chose" to change the user name.  Smiley Wink

Can I change mine to Mr Chuckle-Dic k

Do I really need a reason Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Obviously without the space. Was surprised I cant type someone's name. 

Message 11 of 24
by: ragnorak
on: 10/06/2010 | 06:25
I get asked to edit nicknames nearly every day on the wap community I'm admin at. Smiley Happy But many web forums don't have a facility for it and this is one of them.
Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 12 of 24
by: bill
on: 15/06/2010 | 22:41 edited: 15/06/2010 | 22:53

Obviously I don't know exactly how the GG forum system works, but I am quite good at databases (I do SQL setups on the side lol) so here's what I'd guess.

Each user will be referenced in the main members' database by their UID. In my case, it's 240. That UID will be in the "users" table, linking to two systems: the forum, and the phone accounts side. It'll be two one-to-one relationships - one UID has one forum account, and one forum account is linked to one UID. Likewise, one UID has one mobile account, and one mobile account is linked to one UID (although this may become a one-to-many in the future, to allow more than one mobile account to be registered to one person, I'd predict). Specifically, in the forum database, the one UID will be linked to one forum account ID (which for simplicity is probably the same as the UID, which in turn will be a one-to-one link to a unique "username" identifier.

Therefore, so long as the new username chosen is unique and not taken, I wouldn't see any reason why it *can't* be changed, but whether the administration for doing so is too much is another thing entirely...

**Did this message help you? Please give it Kudos! Click the blue "Star with a plus" button over on the right. Thanks!
Message 13 of 24
by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 16/06/2010 | 10:10

Well, that and the fact that Lithium technically doesn't allow it.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 14 of 24
by: danielclo1il
on: 03/07/2010 | 04:30

@vincent wrote:

really? thats really strange..

i'de have thought there would have been a way to, since you could get offensive usernames, and as admin, you shud be able to change them..

hmm wierd

Thanks
Dann

Message 15 of 24
by: jack17938
on: 03/07/2010 | 08:44

@danielclo1il wrote:

@vincent wrote:

really? thats really strange..

i'de have thought there would have been a way to, since you could get offensive usernames, and as admin, you shud be able to change them..

hmm wierd

It looks as though users with offensive names are banned by the looks of it...

Message 16 of 24
by: mariam2900512
on: 03/07/2010 | 23:51

should giffgaff set some sort of minimum number of characters allowed in a username? I mean having 1 character acceptable is just wierd.

Message 17 of 24
by: sko
on: 05/07/2010 | 06:12

Re: My username sucks and I want to change it

^^ mine too!I'm not so inventive on the spot!

but I understand why it's locked.

Message 18 of 24
Highlighted
by: zuberb
on: 05/07/2010 | 08:35 edited: 05/07/2010 | 08:37

I guess the get a new sim option would work. But if you have given everyone your number, it would be a pain...

So is it possible to transfer your number from one giffgaff account (username) to another ?

Don't actually need it, just curious...

And while were at it, I guess I might as well ask about tranfering credit ?

That would in effect cover all the bases.

Zuber

Order your new giffgaff sim from www.sim-shop.co.uk and get an extra £5 credit and cashback !
Message 19 of 24
by: giffgaffuk2
on: 18/11/2011 | 15:38
It's no problem to re-register. Quick and easy
Message 20 of 24