Knowledge Base
Community

NEW IDEAS

Started by: herne1
On: 28/11/2018 | 18:49
Replies: 18

by: herne1
on: 28/11/2018 | 18:49 edited: 28/11/2018 | 20:25

Contribute!! giffgaff is run by you: post your feedback, take part in giffgaff projects and have your say in upcoming developments. Keep a look out for @fadlur_f there will be an important post here in Contribute soon, we hope, and we really need your help with your exact preferences. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 19
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 28/11/2018 | 20:34

@herne1 @fadlur_f

We need to get new ideas started out here in contribute , we can then get these ideas debated and fleshed out , this way we can also weed out duplicates before they hit labs.

We can also bring more to the ideas which may give it a much better chance of getting accepted

Message 2 of 19
by: herne1
on: 28/11/2018 | 21:45
Thanks for that @bluemoonbaz Exactly what we've been struggling to get that point simply accepted as the way forward. Three years of sometimes painful circling, repeating same old same old and nobody at giffgaff listening. It's only this last year the project has lurched towards the touch line but now seems to be stubbornly stuck by difference of analysis.
Your post, dead right, thanks.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 19
by: koshka
on: 29/11/2018 | 10:52

Getting people to post in contribute first before going to labs is  an ongoing problem. I think the perception of getting extra payback in labs leads to an almost spamming of labs with ridiculous ideas.  Perhaps not allowing posts there until they have been in contribute by auto refering them here could help

Message 4 of 19
by: ujo55
on: 29/11/2018 | 11:24
I think that you make a good point @koshka
However at present when anyone posts an idea here in contribute, they are more often than not encouraged very quickly, often within the 1st few posts, to send it to Labs, which causes confusion as to the appropriate procedure.
To be truthful also many of use who frequent contribute - and I put my hand up - are rather conservative and ideas are sometimes too easily dismissed.
How often do we see the response that this idea will cost gg money and force prices up, when the same idea is being adopted by other providers without such price increases, which again is disheartening for the op and perhaps explains why they bypass contribute.

But then of course Labs is also spammed with ideas such as starting GG airlines for the sake of payback presumably.
Message 5 of 19
by: bill48er
on: 29/11/2018 | 12:33

@koshka wrote:

Getting people to post in contribute first before going to labs is  an ongoing problem. I think the perception of getting extra payback in labs leads to an almost spamming of labs with ridiculous ideas.  Perhaps not allowing posts there until they have been in contribute by auto referring them here could help

Hi @koshka

You may think that.

I, along with many others in the Labs group have recycled this suggestion for three years Smiley Frustrated

Sadly, many who were very active in the group appear to have given up, leaving a few stalwart fighting for a common sense approach.

Quote from a post made on 28.11.18 by @fadlur_f ....

"Thank you for the feedback and diagram it has been most useful, I understand the research before the idea should take place to make well developed but we want to keep this as an optional option. Why? we now have a review process that educates the person as not all members go to the forum first, they might just come on to submit an idea and making the process simple. As deterring a member with mandatory steps when they are only volunteering their ideas does seem unfair. "

An "optional option"? Smiley Mad

So controlling access is not the giffgaff touchy-feelly way.

It would appear that they would prefer to have a member of staff sifting through the chaff of some 300 ideas a month just to find a handful of new(ish) ideas.

From October...

Now onto how many ideas have been reviewed and received this month.
  •  283 Idea received
  • 182 Idea reviewed 
  • Of which 99 Ideas pending-
  • of which 18 Ideas went live
  • of which 110 ideas were already suggested.
Hi @ujo55 - I share your frustration about the instant "share this in labs".
Often from long standing members who should know better!
What is worse, some gentle guidance/hand holding through the path of posting ones brilliant "new" idea or to be directed to Labs to just receive some "education" from a member of staff? Smiley SadSmiley Sad

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!
Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 6 of 19
Highlighted
by: blackfive460
on: 29/11/2018 | 14:56

@bill48er wrote:

Sadly, many who were very active in the group appear to have given up, leaving a few stalwart fighting for a common sense approach.

Very true. Smiley Wink

I'm sure I'm not the only one who realised that the various suggestions we've been making for years, almost since the Lab was first foisted upon us, were at complete variance from what giffgaff wanted from it and have voted with our feet leaving giffgaff to get on with it.

Message 7 of 19
by: ip633
on: 30/11/2018 | 12:30 edited: 01/12/2018 | 21:38

One of the problems with Labs has always been a lack of understanding about what actually constitutes an “idea”, as opposed to simply offering constructive feedback that might be better served by having the same discussion in Contribute. For almost a year now, they’ve been looking into this particular idea, and to be honest, it’s a bit embarrassing that we might end up with a brand new platform before they actually get around to addressing that particular issue (I’m hoping at least, that Labs will become part of the Vanilla platform). 

For anyone who is using desktop view, this is what the author of that idea was talking about:

Click to reveal
D990E3E8-45C9-4B13-A799-7FDA144A5E1B.jpeg

But people often use Labs in the mistaken belief that it might give their issue more prominence, when in fact the opposite is true, and the reality is that new ideas often struggle to gain traction because they’re very quickly forgotten (as hundreds of newer submissions are being received every month). If you weren’t already familiar with the proposal that I’d linked, I think you’d struggle to find it by using the search option, and you’re certainly not going to browse through hundreds of ideas to get to it either. 

We’ve created a monster, there are far too many ideas in there for it to be a useful resource, and we need to have an honest discussion about what we’re trying to achieve with that section. 

Edit: typo 

Message 8 of 19
by: bill48er
on: 30/11/2018 | 13:19

@ip633 said "(I’m hoping at least, that Labs will become part of the Vanilla platform)".

Sorry to disappoint - as I understand it, Labs will continue to have a different code  base to the main forum (ie not Vanilla).

Having said that " Labs *will*, at some point, see a significant change" - quote from @alex_w in the Labs group.

Also, as that it is now Friday afternoon, we might see @fadlur_f dropping by before the weekend break to kick off a discussion topic I'm sure we will all be interested in. Smiley Wink

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!
Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 9 of 19
by: ip633
on: 30/11/2018 | 17:13

@bill48er wrote:

@ip633 said "(I’m hoping at least, that Labs will become part of the Vanilla platform)".

Sorry to disappoint - as I understand it, Labs will continue to have a different code  base to the main forum (ie not Vanilla).

Having said that " Labs *will*, at some point, see a significant change" - quote from @alex_w in the Labs group.

Well they obviously see enough positives with the current set-up, that they want to keep persevering with it. But there's a strong argument for archiving those 5000 plus ideas, and the new platform would have presented an ideal opportunity to start afresh.

Ah well, it's the thought that counts  Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 19