Knowledge Base
Community

New year resolution for Giffgaff

Started by: harrrrrry
On: 27/12/2018 | 11:57
Replies: 49

by: maxheadroom1988
on: 31/12/2018 | 11:38 edited: 31/12/2018 | 11:43

It's all very well saying that we've agreed to the T&C's but what is the alternative if you don't agree to it on privacy grounds, in that all the other networks are also allowing this, not at least without having to jump through hoops ? Have no phone ?

Get a free giffgaff SIM
Message 41 of 50
by: glaswegianeric
on: 31/12/2018 | 12:02
@jaymailsays

There are different reasons why things are left unchallenged. Why, for example, Payforit went unchallenged by Ofcom for so many years? People were getting scammed by useless subscriptions for ages, all Ofcom had to do was bar any incoming premium text charges. Genuine market players would lose nothing because of such a bar as users would still have an option to start any subscription they wanted from their end. Yet Ofcom didn't bother and 'why' is a rhetorical question here.

Laws don't "just work", there's always a "some equal more than others" approach and hundreds of tiers of justice.

Plus, GDPR is a relatively new thing, and it's quite possible that someone will eventually set a precedent where handing over someone's personal phone number to Payforit-style sites will be forbidden.
Message 42 of 50
by: newcrazymember2018
on: 31/12/2018 | 20:37
Woooooooooo great thinking.
Message 43 of 50
by: ceky_data3
on: 01/01/2019 | 19:09
I’d love to see how GDPR is compatible with operators giving away my phone number all the time! Could we have official response?
Message 44 of 50
on: 01/01/2019 | 19:30
@ceky_data

I've sent an email to ICO and awaiting for a response. Nothing stops you or anyone else from doing the same.
Message 45 of 50
by: cloughey
on: 05/01/2019 | 15:01
Totally agree, the networks have to start preventing this con.
Message 46 of 50
on: 05/01/2019 | 16:22
@cloughey us, why would they do that? It brings them money, consumers do bugger all about it. What incentive?
Message 47 of 50
by: muggles708
on: 14/01/2019 | 20:14

@jaymailsays wrote:

@glaswegianeric We don't know that payforit definitely hand over our mobile numbers. They certainly hand over our money to the mostly unscrupulous Merchants who pay to have access to our credit.

@jaymailsays

Actually, the passing of numbers to third parties is part of the published specification of Payforit, so the fact that this happens is not in dispute. The faq in my signature includes a demonstation that this actually happens.

It is the legality of this that is in dispute. It is illegal under GDPR to pass personal details (including phone numbers) to third parties unless it is a business necessity. I would submit that it is not a business necessity, as it is clearly possible to sign up to Payforit services while connected via WiFi. The mechanism in this case is different, and the consumer supplies the number themselves to the third party. Much safer and compliant with GDPR.

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 48 of 50
by: muggles708
on: 14/01/2019 | 20:23

@glaswegianeric

ICO have already been asked about this and they have said it is a matter for the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA). The PSA were then asked about it and guess what - they say it's a matter for the ICO!

The regulation of these services is a joke, with the various regulators passing the buck between one another.

The PSA currently have a consultation. https://psauthority.org.uk/research-and-consultations/consultations/2018/december/consultation-on-bu.... This represents an opportunity for consumers to voice their concerns about Payforit scams. My draft response is here:  https://payforitsucks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Response-to-PSA-Consultation-on-Business-Plan.... Amongst other issues you will see that it covers this point.

I urge you and anyone else concerned with stopping these scams to respond to the PSA consultation. It closes on 25th January 2019. These consultations usually get no response from consumers. It would be good if it was different this year!

Paul

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 49 of 50
Highlighted
on: 14/01/2019 | 20:33 edited: 15/01/2019 | 04:31

@muggles708 The regulators are indeed a joke. Well, we deserve the authorities we get....

I'll respond to the consultation, although the whole concept does seem a bit of a joke to me as well, a heaven for pen pushers - there's not much to consult about, the harm is obvious and self evident, what has to be done about it is obvious as well.

Message 50 of 50