Knowledge Base
Community

New year resolution for Giffgaff

Started by: harrrrrry
On: 27/12/2018 | 11:57
Replies: 49

by: harrrrrry
on: 27/12/2018 | 11:57 edited: 27/12/2018 | 12:02

I think 2019 should be the year that giffgaff decides to take the bull by the horns and fully get to grips with payforit.

Accordingly I'd like to ask each and every giffgaff staff member, from the CEO downwards, no matter what their capacity, to make a personal new year resolution:

Make sure I do everything I personally can 
to ensure that giffgaff ceases to 
aid and abet payforit scammers

A good start would be to implement @jaymailsays suggestion by insisting that o2 removes the header that unnecessarily allows scammers to autofill giffgaff members' telephone numbers on payforit signup pages

That's not enough on its own, because a scammer that can fake keystrokes to register for payforit without the account owner's knowledge can equally well fake keystrokes to register random phone numbers for payforit, some of which will be giffgaff members

• members must, must, must have a simple method to opt out of the payforit scheme altogether and stay opted out. Some other networks claim to be able to disable payforit. Giffgaff needs to do so as a matter of extreme urgency
  • payforit is primarily a payment process -- so giffgaff should publicly lobby the government for a more competent body such as FCA to take over regulation of payforit
  • payforit needs to  be rewritten from the ground up to look and work more like direct debits, requiring a specific mandate from the subscribing member that is set up and can be revoked at any time
  • a member that disputes a payforit payment must have the ability to claim an immediate refund from the charging network (ie, the same right as they would have if they disputed a direct debit with their bank)

Only by getting to grips with payforit can members and giffgaff both have a truly happy new year.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 1 of 50
by: jokeyboi77
on: 27/12/2018 | 12:28

Agreed @harrrrrry and with so many members being caught out with the Payforit scams (including myself) you'd like to think giffgaff would be pro active about it, so let's hope they are.  

jokeyboi-v2.png
Message 2 of 50
by: jaymailsays
on: 27/12/2018 | 13:07

And if in addition all reverse charge texts could be subject to verification by a pin, prior to payment, even better.

https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16703330/reverse-charge-texts-stop-the-fraud-pin-required-1234

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 50
by: persco
on: 27/12/2018 | 13:16

Also agreed. Giffgaff should get their heads out of sand and acknowledge or even better implement this as so many are falling foul to this evil practice. 

Whilst at it, let’s through in 2factor Authorisation/Authentication as well to take security of our accounts and sims to a higher level please 🙏🏽 Thanks 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 50
by: jaymailsays
on: 27/12/2018 | 13:52

Looks like one of our members is funding these Merchants to the tune of £30pw by way of auto top ups!

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Bill/m-p/22840193#M8516017

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 50
by: kathleen414
on: 27/12/2018 | 14:29

100 % for me @harrrrrry 

and as you say take on @jaymailsays suggestion by insisting that o2 removes the header that unnecessarily allows scammers to autofill giffgaff members' telephone numbers on payforit signup pages

Message 6 of 50
by: kathleen414
on: 27/12/2018 | 14:30

@jaymailsays wrote:

And if in addition all reverse charge texts could be subject to verification by a pin, prior to payment, even better.

https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16703330/reverse-charge-texts-stop-the-fraud-pin-required-1234

Spot on  Jay @jaymailsays

Message 7 of 50
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 27/12/2018 | 14:35 edited: 27/12/2018 | 16:47

@harrrrrry@jaymailsays@persco

Couldn't agree more this needs getting hold of and taking on.

All the points you have brought to the table need addressing sooner than later .

green v3.pngorange gameplan v4.pngblue v3.pngH&S Banner.png
Message 8 of 50
by: ijustcantdoit
on: 27/12/2018 | 14:55

@harrrrrry 

Must admit i am not up to speed on this subject Smiley Embarassed, but thank you for bringing to me .

Its something from what i read  needs picking up ASAP and the other things @jaymailsays has indicted and the other point from @persco.

Thank you both also for enlightening me on this subject , i hope giffgaff /02 gets onboard and resolve this. 

“Welcome
Message 9 of 50
by: ijustcantdoit
on: 27/12/2018 | 15:04

@jokeyboi77 wrote:

Agreed @harrrrrry and with so many members being caught out with the Payforit scams (including myself) you'd like to think giffgaff would be pro active about it, so let's hope they are.  

Sorry to hear @jokeyboi77 mate Smiley Mad

“Welcome
Message 10 of 50