Number Reassigning - How Long?

Started by: k89bpa
On: 08/08/2018 | 17:04
Replies: 14

by: harrrrrry
on: 09/08/2018 | 11:47

@k89bpa

I'd strongly suggest widening the pool of numbers available

Numbers are taken from pools allocated in blocks by ofcom and ofcom will only allocate a new pool if it is satisfied that the network is recycling its unused numbers where possible. So giffgaff has to do its best within the pools that ofcom allows giffgaff to use.

But I believe it is 6 months to disconnect a number and then at least a further 6 months -- during which time the numbers are monitored for incoming call attempts and individual numbers are held back longer. That said, the initial 6 months does probably not apply if another number is ported in to replace the number giffgaff issues prior to porting. So, the minimum period probably still is 6 months -- but still with the possibility of being extended if incoming calls are still attempted.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 11 of 15
by: richardski
on: 09/08/2018 | 13:20
Ideally any number pending a reissue should be actively monitored by giffgaff for incoming calls and SMSs and only put back into service after a period of six months since the last detected activity on that number.

This should provide a measure of security against premium SMSs and calls subscribed to by the previous user. The only other problem is that the number could have been blacklisted for misuse and the new user may find their calls going to some numbers or organisations being rejected.

Many so called "rights" activists use PayGo SIMs to abuse organisations and their staff and then dump the SIM. These numbers make their way onto security watch lists so the new users may find themselves being monitored as suspected activists.

Richard

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 15
by: various_mm
on: 09/08/2018 | 13:24
@k89bpa

unused numbers go back to the central pot and are allocated back by networks. once the number is deactivated, it doesn't stay with giffgaff

as there are more and more users og mobiles, the numbers are being recycled faster that's the reason why you are seeing this king of situation

If my answer resolved your query then please mark it as a ' solution '. Thank you!
Message 13 of 15
by: harrrrrry
on: 09/08/2018 | 14:29

@various_mm

unused numbers go back to the central pot and are allocated back by networks. once the number is deactivated, it doesn't stay with giffgaff

That actually wouldn't be possible. The "central pot" is only capable of handling allocations in blocks of 10,000 consecutive numbers. The chances of giffgaffers all releasing a block of 10,000 consecutive numbers is sufficiently small to be considered an impossibility.

You can actually download the "central pot" from http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/#pers -- look at it carefully and you will see how it is done, entirely in blocks of 10,000 numbers.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 14 of 15
by: bpg1970
on: 10/08/2018 | 17:38

I always thought numbers remained dormant for two years, it always used to be with landline numbers. 

Message 15 of 15