Community

Old threads reappearing on the front page

Started by: kenralph
On: 18/08/2018 | 07:50
Replies: 8

Go to best answer
by: kenralph
on: 18/08/2018 | 07:50

Occasionally an old thread will rear its head on the front page of the General Discussion forum.

Is it possible to have the month/year of the original post visible on the header, or even a pop up to who ever replies to it, saying something along the lines of "this thread is 16 months old, are you sure you want to post"

Sometimes there will be a very good reason to resurrect a thread, but often not.

Message 1 of 9
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: bertiebat
on: 18/08/2018 | 17:43

Agreed it's a problem but don't hold your breath as this idea of mine was posted over 7 years ago.  https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/1422847/include-datetime-of-when-author-posted

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 9
by: davidevans0000
on: 18/08/2018 | 07:53
@kenralph lithium has gremlins lol i have seen this also.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 9
by: endorphin
on: 18/08/2018 | 11:09

@kenralph the previous version of the site did should the OP's posting date IIRC, so you could then quickly check the age of a thread. However giffgaff have not been able or have decided against, showing the original posting date in the new version of the site. Smiley Sad

I like the idea of warning the poster that a thread is old but at what age do you start warning them? One month, 6 months...?

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 3 of 9
by: kenralph
on: 18/08/2018 | 11:19

@endorphin

In the fast paced forum of GD possibly 2 months, it'll just be a warning, not an outright refusal..along the lines of

This post is 4 weeks old, is inviting relevant.

The reply could well be yes it is, and the new post can still be uploaded.

And if a 'New post' should appear with the irrelevant header that many are fond of using such as

"I never knew this would work"

And once it's clicked it becomes semi apparent that it's a post from 2005 I believe people should be aware before the click.

Who knows..I might resurrect this in 2020!

Message 4 of 9
by: koshka
on: 18/08/2018 | 13:54

Would certainly prevent mebers posting/answering un-necessarily and ed's having to lock these necro-posts.

Message 5 of 9
by: kate1028
on: 18/08/2018 | 14:12

I agree @kenralph.  I sometimes forget to check the date and then feel a bit silly realising I've just replied or commented on a post that's months or even years old !  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 9
by: giffgaff20147
on: 18/08/2018 | 14:18

@kenralph

Hello it happens on all parts of forum , 

i have been responsible couple times when I was new ,just not reading 

date so it drags it back to top page , 

when you search it drags up old threads and mistakes are made by replying 

human error 

I suppose it’s a big job to lock these old threads 

Message 7 of 9
by: ellieclarke1989
on: 18/08/2018 | 14:23
I see this a lot. Sometimes I reply to something not realising it’s old because it’s at the top and then o
Get agents messaging me asking why did I reply to it so
Yeah your idea would be great
Or maybe all old posts like over a year could be deleted
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
by: bertiebat
on: 18/08/2018 | 17:43

Agreed it's a problem but don't hold your breath as this idea of mine was posted over 7 years ago.  https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/1422847/include-datetime-of-when-author-posted

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 9