Knowledge Base
Community

One Account with Multiple SIMs

Started by: mobilebandit
On: 27/01/2010 | 11:27
Replies: 31

by: mobilebandit
on: 27/01/2010 | 11:27

I run a business with a number of employees.  Would be nice to give them SIM cards that are managed from a central account.

Message 1 of 32
by: ivida
on: 28/01/2010 | 09:18 edited: 28/01/2010 | 09:29

Yes, thats a good idea. It has already been raised by several people in various forms.

So, this is definitely something that many users would be happy to see implemented

and would be of interest not only to businesses but also families and may be to other

communities.

I wonder what model you would  propose to handle top-ups and credits.

From the viewpoint of families, i think it would be nice to have either a central

budget for the SIM pool or, if individual credits need to be assigned by the

system, then have the possibility to transfer funds among the SIMs.

Message 2 of 32
by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 29/01/2010 | 11:48

Just to let you know I am passing this on. I know this is technically not possible at the moment. But that's not to say we can't implement something like this of course.

Do you know if any other mobile providers are currently doing this?

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 3 of 32
on: 29/01/2010 | 12:32

Family mobile from IKEA MVNO has  (as name suggests ;-) family accounts.

Message 4 of 32
former giff-staffer

on: 29/01/2010 | 12:41

Ah yes, of course.

Any others that we know off?

As I said before, I really don't know how easy it would be to implement something like this. But I'll raise it and let you know whats what Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 32
on: 29/01/2010 | 14:25

I'm not aware of any other UK network doing this  but i seem to remember somebody mentioning

that large companies can have their own arrangments with networks to use SIM pools.

May be giffgaff could offer something similar to smaller businesses?

An important aspect of the SIM pools would be the possibility to transfer credit from one user to the other. 

There was a suggestion to implemented this on giffgaff for al the user - this is most likely not as complicated

techincally as the family/company SIM pools but would be a solution for a more flexible handling of credit for

families and businesses.

Message 6 of 32
by: ragnorak
on: 29/01/2010 | 16:34

On O2 there is a feature to link your online accounts, though I found it a bit buggy.

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 7 of 32
Highlighted
former giff-staffer

on: 01/02/2010 | 10:48

Right, I went to work with this idea. And as you know, we didn't have anything set up like this.

So after your feedback we've gone to work, and have implemented the following:

You can now set up multiple accounts on one email address, as well as top these multiple accounts up with one credit/debit card.

So a business or family (lets take giffgaff as an example) could set up an account called:

giffgaffbossman

Who then creates 10 other accounts for his employees, called:

giffgaffemployee01

giffgaffemployee02

giffgaffemployee03

giffgaffemployee04

etc.

And set each of these accounts up with the same credit card. Either with auto top up or with manual top up, whichever way you'd like to go.

You can also get all of your employees or family members to create their own accounts, which you can then top up with your credit/debit card (even if they've created the account with their using their own card). You do this by going to the 'Top Up' section on the website here, typing in the mobile number you'd like to top up, type in your security code, and you're done. It now also remembers the numbers you've topped up, so you don't have to retype/remember them every time.

Of course we could help you out by sending you an 'X' amount of sims, so you don't have to retype the same information every time when you try to send out the sims to yourself.

Of course when you set up all of these accounts (mobile numbers), and do this via the 'master account', you get 5 pounds extra on each one, as well as getting 500 bonus points for each one activated! Kerrr-ching! Smiley Very Happy

But please be aware, that for each of these accounts the email address connected to it, will receive an email when you activate it, change details, etc.

I understand that people would like to have one 'parent' account, with which to manage all these different sims, but that is not something we can currently do. This is not to say we will never do it, but at the moment other ideas have priority (unless we get lots of feedback that this is something we need to change more urgently). So I hope that the solution I have described above is acceptable for now.

Cheers,

Vincent

Should anyone have any other questions, please let me know Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 32
on: 01/02/2010 | 13:58

Thanks, Vincent, for working on and implementing this idea.

As you suggest, an integrated 'parent' account would be better solution

but this is a good step forward.

For existing accounts, i guess you can not link the accounts but the procedure

of topping-up works the same way.

Credit transfer you haven't mentioned, i assume this is something we have to

wait (and hope) for.

Message 9 of 32
by: mirfan
on: 08/02/2010 | 22:11

Re: Family Mobile

They DO NOT have this feature. You have to create separate accounts for each sim. You do not share the same pool of credit.

All you can do is set a "budget/call limit/allowance" on another account. See: http://www.familymobile.co.uk/services/family-budget

It would be handy to have 1 account with multiple sims in it sharing one pool of credit. Then each sim doesnt have to be topped up separately.

Message 10 of 32