Knowledge Base
Community

Pausing the issue of Recycled Phone Numbers due to Social Media Links and Identifiers

Started by: frpc
On: 26/04/2017 | 19:14
Replies: 48

by: harrrrrry
on: 27/04/2017 | 09:18

@frpc

Cynics will argue that the user can always go to fb settings and hide their mobile number or email details. They can but many more do not. If hidden, then those users do not cause a problem to our online security.

I don't get your logic here.

It is faceboook, not giffgaff, that seems to be causing this security breach, by permitting users to post mobile numbers. Therefore it is facebook, not giffgaff, that needs to take action to prevent it.

Giffgaff and lithium have proved that it is possible to detect people accidentally posting their phone numbers in public and to hide them. Facebook can do the same.

Alternatively, ofcom can change the rules and insist that numbers are not recycled. That would probably mean that mobile numbers eventually have to increase from 11 to 12 digits. No great hardship, except possibly to people with ancient phones that cannot store numbers -- but there are very few of those still in existence.

Yes, ofcom could -- and probably should -- change the rules to ban number recycling. But it's not something that networks can do by themselves, and giffgaff shouldn't have to apply workrounds for facebook's insecurity.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 11 of 49
by: gsklb04
on: 27/04/2017 | 09:55
@frpc I also never knew about the old number recycle.

So let's see what response we get from gg.
https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gsklb04
Message 12 of 49
by: endorphin
on: 27/04/2017 | 11:12

There is also the problem of owners of recycled numbers having had subscribed to premium texts services. The original subscriber would have simply changed their number to get out of the subscription leaving the recipient of their old number to face the consequences.

However I can't see that such numbers could be easily sanitised without global agreements including the providers of the premium subscription services as well as the networks. This is quite an obstacle.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 13 of 49
by: nfh
on: 27/04/2017 | 14:44

Can giffgaff please tell us the minimum time period that its numbers must be out of use before they are reissued to a new member?

Message 14 of 49
by: archos1207
on: 27/04/2017 | 14:58

I agree with @harrrrrry on this. It's a Facebook issue, not a giffgaff issue.

I certainly don't want social media platform I subscribe to from giving out that fact to any mobile network who asks for it.

Message 15 of 49
by: prescilla_g
community giff-staffer

on: 27/04/2017 | 15:19

Hi @nfh,

Just had a chat with a few gaffers about this; the minimum time period for a recycled number to be reissued to a new member is least 6 months after the SIM has been deactivated.

However, this 6 month period can be reset if we notice the SIM has been reused. We monitor each SIM during this period

Also, we're working on getting an update on finding a solution to this idea - should have something soon.

Research and insights lady

Leave a legacy over at giffgaff Labs
Message 16 of 49
by: nfh
on: 27/04/2017 | 16:06

prescilla_g wrote:

Just had a chat with a few gaffers about this; the minimum time period for a recycled number to be reissued to a new member is least 6 months after the SIM has been deactivated.

Thanks @prescilla_g  for responding so quickly. Do you know how giffgaff chooses which numbers to reissue? For example are the numbers that have been out of use the longest reissued before numbers that have been out of use the shortest?

@frpc  - I think this is the root of the problem. Six months is simply not a long enough period for the number to fall completely into disuse. I wonder whether this is a problem with other networks. Although the 6-month minimum might be imposed by Ofcom (I'm guessing here), it is possible that other networks avoid reissuing used numbers wherever possible, particularly those that have been out of use for only 6 months.

Message 17 of 49
by: sim_1n_post2u_asap
on: 27/04/2017 | 16:10
Hey notrocketscience I noticed your comment on Labs, in case you missed it, this is the thread you asked about.

notrocketscience wrote

Submitted by: notrocketscience on 27-04-2017 09:52

Shouldn't this be in Contribute?

How would giffgaff check the number?

@notrocketscience Hope that helps

Suppose giffgaff would check the number in the same way members of the public can do.Typing in the mobile number instead of a name brings up a profile or a 'not found' result.

Message 18 of 49
on: 27/04/2017 | 16:41

prescilla_g wrote:

However, this 6 month period can be reset if we notice the SIM has been reused. We monitor each SIM during this period

Also, we're working on getting an update on finding a solution to this idea - should have something soon.

Hi @prescilla_g  Wondering if I mis-understood the wording above."this 6month period can be reset if we notice the SIM has been reused" 

At first reading it appears a mobile number would NOT be re-issued  unless it had been unused for 6 months by the member PLUS a further 6 months giffgaff purdah or dormancy period. However, you went on to say this period could be reset, if you notice the sim has been re-used.

Re-used? How can this ever be the case? When a sim is unused for 6 months and giffgaff decide to cancel it, anyone dialing the number (formerly) attached to the sim, will get, 'Sorry that number is not recognised'.

Precisely how can a sim be meaningfully re-used without a number? Except in the sense you are aware it has been inserted into a device that pinged a local mast or wifi connection but is not using the former number as the account was extinguished?

Can you help me understand?

Message 19 of 49
on: 27/04/2017 | 16:46

@nfh @frpc

It is 12 months in total if you include the 6months of non use by the member which preceded the further 6 months purdah.

Message 20 of 49