Knowledge Base
Community

Pausing the issue of Recycled Phone Numbers due to Social Media Links and Identifiers

Started by: frpc
On: 26/04/2017 | 19:14
Replies: 48

by: sim_1n_post2u_asap
on: 27/04/2017 | 17:03

archos1207 wrote:

I agree with @harrrrrry on this. It's a Facebook issue, not a giffgaff issue.

I certainly don't want social media platform I subscribe to from giving out that fact to any mobile network who asks for it.

@archos1207 @harrrrrry

FACEBOOK & others already link your profile to your mobile number or email if you provided both to them.

As a member of the public, I can enter your number in the search box instead of your known name. (Often fb usernames vary slightly) unless you have disabled in settings your email or mobile details, (few do) your profile instantly appears for all to see. 

If mobile number has been hidden by fb user or other social media, no problem. Giffgaff can go ahead and re-issue the number as they took reasonable steps to check after 12 months of sim non use.

Message 21 of 49
by: harrrrrry
on: 27/04/2017 | 17:32

Re-used? How can this ever be the case? When a sim is unused for 6 months and giffgaff decide to cancel it, anyone dialing the number (formerly) attached to the sim, will get, 'Sorry that number is not recognised'.

But in order to have played the "sorry" announcement, giffgaff will have to know that a call has been attempted and it will also know the number that the caller was trying to reach. I'd guess that most of them would come in during the first month after deactivation, a few less then next month, hardly any in the third month and probably none at all for the rest of the time. In rare cases, calls might continue -- perhaps because the number was advertised in a publication that is still being printed -- and those, at a guess, are what giffgaff would possibly try to detect and hold back for longer.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 22 of 49
by: frpc
on: 27/04/2017 | 17:45

@harrrrrry The above scenario is not evidence that a 'SIM' has been used!  Only a failed attempt to contact a void number.

@prescilla_g specifically mentioned if the sim had been used..............

The failed attempt at dialing a void number is not a SIM being used. 

Message 23 of 49
on: 27/04/2017 | 17:55

prescilla_g wrote:

Just had a chat with a few gaffers about this; the minimum time period for a recycled number to be reissued to a new member is least 6 months after the SIM has been deactivated.

However, this 6 month period can be reset if we notice the SIM has been reused. We monitor each SIM during this period

Also, we're working on getting an update on finding a solution to this idea - should have something soon.

@prescilla_g Many thanks for your feedback. It seems that this idea has more implications than at first thought. 

Message 24 of 49
by: harrrrrry
on: 27/04/2017 | 18:45

I'm sure it will mean monitoring the number that was formerly allocated to the sim, rather than the sim itself

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 25 of 49
on: 27/04/2017 | 18:55

harrrrrry wrote:

I'm sure it will mean monitoring the number that was formerly allocated to the sim, rather than the sim itself

@harrrrrry We can only go by what we are told officially and not interpretation.

We now know that giffgaff numbers are not re-issued for at least 12 months after last use.

Message 26 of 49
by: figment_uk
on: 27/04/2017 | 20:02

@frpc

The 12 months only applies to numbers that were terminated following a 6 month period of dormancy.  Numbers that are terminated by a number change (e.g. when a number is ported in) may be re-used after a 6 month hiatus.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 27 of 49
on: 28/04/2017 | 01:33 edited: 28/04/2017 | 01:39

figment_uk wrote:

@frpc

The 12 months only applies to numbers that were terminated following a 6 month period of dormancy.  Numbers that are terminated by a number change (e.g. when a number is ported in) may be re-used after a 6 month hiatus.

@figment_uk Not necessarily or as straight forward. 

It emerged yesterday that if giffgaff detect the sim during the usual six month de-activation period, following dormacy, they reset the time period, from then, as that (for some reason) is considered a resumption of activity.

Message 28 of 49
by: figment_uk
on: 28/04/2017 | 06:56

frpc wrote:

figment_uk wrote:

@frpc

It emerged yesterday that if giffgaff detect the sim during the usual six month de-activation period, following dormacy, they reset the time period, from then, as that (for some reason) is considered a resumption of activity.

@frpc

You've missed my point. 

The earliest date for re-issuing a number is 6 months after the termination date, so for a number still attached to a SIM that's not being used it would be 6 months from last use before termination + 6 months hiatus, but for a number that was in use yesterday but replaced by another number today, the termination date is today and the number could be re-issued in 6 months. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 29 of 49
on: 28/04/2017 | 11:24

figment_uk wrote:

frpc wrote:

figment_uk wrote:

@frpc

@frpc

You've missed my point. 

The earliest date for re-issuing a number is 6 months after the termination date, so for a number still attached to a SIM that's not being used it would be 6 months from last use before termination + 6 months hiatus, but for a number that was in use yesterday but replaced by another number today, the termination date is today and the number could be re-issued in 6 months. 

@figment_uk I recognised the point you were making. Never the less, if a member had left the deactivated sim in a live device, for example, to use the device for wifi (some devices refuse to connect without a sim being detected) the sim will, it seems be considered used. I presume the sim could also be used for an emergency call in some circumstances during the 6 or 12 month purdah period.

Returning to the main theme, it would be more questionable to have a number recycled within any period of less than 12 months, as the chances of the number being live in the social media sense, increase exponentially from the shorter period down from the12th to a possible 6th month, where the former user forgot to change the number, on social media.

I take on board, your well intentioned point but that doesn't make it morally right.

All things considered, a "dirty" recycled number should not ever be re-issued.

Message 30 of 49