Knowledge Base
Community

Pausing the issue of Recycled Phone Numbers due to Social Media Links and Identifiers

Started by: frpc
On: 26/04/2017 | 19:14
Replies: 48

by: cps15966
on: 28/04/2017 | 15:04 edited: 28/04/2017 | 15:05

@frpc
I'm pressing the kudo + button 4, 5, 6 and more times but it will only let me give you 1 kudo...... Smiley Wink

I've up-voted your idea in Labs and it's definitely one of those 'just do it' suggestions that just needs auctioning without the faff about of letting it sit in Labs forever more

cps15966 - The creator of the idea for @ mentions you have all come to use and love Smiley Tongue
Message 31 of 49
by: figment_uk
on: 29/04/2017 | 09:05

@frpc

frpc wrote:

figment_uk wrote:

frpc wrote:

figment_uk wrote:

@frpc

The 12 months only applies to numbers that were terminated following a 6 month period of dormancy.  Numbers that are terminated by a number change (e.g. when a number is ported in) may be re-used after a 6 month hiatus.

@figment_uk Not necessarily or as straight forward. 

It emerged yesterday that if giffgaff detect the sim during the usual six month de-activation period, following dormacy, they reset the time period, from then, as that (for some reason) is considered a resumption of activity.

@frpc

You've missed my point. 

The earliest date for re-issuing a number is 6 months after the termination date, so for a number still attached to a SIM that's not being used it would be 6 months from last use before termination + 6 months hiatus, but for a number that was in use yesterday but replaced by another number today, the termination date is today and the number could be re-issued in 6 months. 

@figment_uk I recognised the point you were making. Never the less, if a member had left the deactivated sim in a live device, for example, to use the device for wifi (some devices refuse to connect without a sim being detected) the sim will, it seems be considered used. I presume the sim could also be used for an emergency call in some circumstances during the 6 or 12 month purdah period.

Returning to the main theme, it would be more questionable to have a number recycled within any period of less than 12 months, as the chances of the number being live in the social media sense, increase exponentially from the shorter period down from the12th to a possible 6th month, where the former user forgot to change the number, on social media.

I take on board, your well intentioned point but that doesn't make it morally right.

All things considered, a "dirty" recycled number should not ever be re-issued.

It still remains that the absolute minimum time period before a mobile number will be re-issued is termination date + 6 months.  The 6 months of inactivity before a number is considered for termination doesn't apply when a port-in or number change occurs, only when a member stops using a 'live' SIM, when the termination date is last use + 6 month (and as we've recently discovered there appears to be an additional qualifier to keep a number 'active' by simply having it 'ping' the network once every 6 months, termination of an otherwise inactive number may never occur)

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 32 of 49
by: davidevans0000
on: 29/04/2017 | 09:22
great idea thanks @frpc
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 33 of 49
by: frpc
on: 29/04/2017 | 17:10

cps15966 wrote:

@frpc
I'm pressing the kudo + button 4, 5, 6 and more times but it will only let me give you 1 kudo...... Smiley Wink

I've up-voted your idea in Labs and it's definitely one of those 'just do it' suggestions that just needs auctioning without the faff about of letting it sit in Labs forever more

@cps15966 Thankyou. Your vote on Labs is thanks enough. We seem to be making good progress and dialogue and feedback with members and staff on here is proving an excellent conduit to progress the idea https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16704729/giffgaff-must-pause-recycling-of-mobile-numbers-due-to-socia...

I think the data protection issues had not been fully appraised not only by Ofcom but Networks in general. We could see giffgaff lead the way on this as it is morally the right thing to only re-issue "clean" numbers.

@figment_uk I am quite sure that you will agree that in most cases of members porting their existing number into giffgaff, their temporary "clean" giffgaff number is unlikely to pose a problem as the member is highly unlikely to have used it for social media registration.

However, if the temporary number was a re-issued "dirty" number then my idea is to convince the Network not to issue it in the first place.

Message 34 of 49
by: figment_uk
on: 29/04/2017 | 17:26

@frpc

My original comment was in response to yours saying (here)

"We now know that giffgaff numbers are not re-issued for at least 12 months after last use."

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 35 of 49
on: 29/04/2017 | 18:03 edited: 29/04/2017 | 23:57

figment_uk wrote:

@frpc

My original comment was in response to yours saying (here)

"We now know that giffgaff numbers are not re-issued for at least 12 months after last use."

@figment_uk In the vast majority of re-issued numbers that are re-allocated, giffgaff follows the 12 month rule

In the very narrow tranche of temporary numbers-they would already have been dormant or in purdah prior to re-issue, (unless a brand new number were used). Then the temporary number will undergo purdah period again plus the ping test prior to subsequent re-issue. I concede the minimum re-issue period could be 6 months although in practice much longer.

Message 36 of 49
by: isabel1066
on: 29/04/2017 | 18:24
@frpc gets a yes from me.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 37 of 49
on: 30/04/2017 | 17:57 edited: 30/04/2017 | 18:30

bertiebat wrote in Labs 27-04-2017 19:06

It a shame that this wasn't first discussed in contribute so that a broader audience was informed. It certainly sounds like it would be useful to get further information from giffgaff on how phone numbers are recycled. Until I know more I'm holding off my vote either way.

@bertiebat

We have elicited from giffgaff that 6 months is an absolute minimum for the re-issue of numbers to a member.

https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16704729/giffgaff-must-pause-recycling-of-mobile-numbers-due-to-socia...

Message 38 of 49
on: 30/04/2017 | 18:27

prescilla_g wrote:

Just had a chat with a few gaffers about this; the minimum time period for a recycled number to be reissued to a new member is least 6 months after the SIM has been deactivated. <snip>

Just a thought @prescilla_g you said 'to a NEW member'

Is it possible that an existing member seeking to replace/change their existing giffgaff number would also in theory be allocated a 6 month old deactivated number?

Message 39 of 49
on: 02/05/2017 | 01:35

sim_1n_post2u_asap wrote

@archos1207 @harrrrrry

FACEBOOK & others already link your profile to your mobile number or email if you provided both to them.

As a member of the public, I can enter your number in the search box instead of your known name. (Often fb usernames vary slightly) unless you have disabled in settings your email or mobile details, (few do) your profile instantly appears for all to see. 

If mobile number has been hidden by fb user or other social media, no problem. Giffgaff can go ahead and re-issue the number as they took reasonable steps to check after 12 months of sim non use.

@sim_1n_post2u_asap Indeed but it would be better not to re-issue  numbers for a minimum period in excess of two years.

Message 40 of 49