Knowledge Base
Community

Pay-for-it without permission

Started by: seyhan11
On: 19/01/2019 | 11:43
Replies: 18

by: seyhan11
on: 19/01/2019 | 11:43 edited: 19/01/2019 | 13:06

I did not click or sign into anything. 3 text messages appeared thanking me for subscribing to their jamjarclub from "4.50 pounds a week" and all other tricks as listed below. What is DIFFERENT this time is the number you call does not even allow you to claim refund back due to unauthorised charges. It has automated voice saying now you unsubscribed and "good byeee" and after call ends  Giffgaff lets you know that your account balance - which is short of that "4.50" pounds!

This is clearly a scam and theft and hacking in my view, and Giffgaff absolutely has to refund me as they are equally responsible of this knowing that there is this scam company doing this for a while. I will claim from giffgaff as that scam place gives you no choice to do so.. I will let you know what happens. And I will report this scam to authorities. 

Message 1 of 19
Highlighted
by: muggles708
on: 19/01/2019 | 11:54 edited: 19/01/2019 | 13:05

@seyhan11

There was another report of the Jam Jar mobile scam yesterday, and there is some good advice on that thread.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Jam-Jar-Club-Mobile-SCAM/m-p/22921902

You are right that GiffGaff should take responsibility for allowing these scams on their network, however as things stand they won't!

The customer service numbers are often only answered during working hours, so it might be worth trying to speak to them again on Monday  morning.

If you are unable to contact Jam Jar to arrange a refund, GiffGaff are supposed to sort it out. In my experience they won't. However, the threat of a Small Claims action is likely to get you a result.

Paul

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 2 of 19
by: jaymailsays
on: 19/01/2019 | 15:07 edited: 19/01/2019 | 15:16

@seyhan11 good luck with your complaint. Try the tactic of saying the £4.50 is a claim from you.

T&C

3.7. You must tell us immediately by emailing datacontroller@giffgaff.co.uk, if anyone makes or threatens to make any claim or issue legal proceedings against you relating to your use of the Service or the Content and you will, at our request, immediately stop the act or acts complained of. If we ask you to, you must confirm the details of the claim(s) in writing.

There is a reply from a giffgaff staff member here.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Come-and-get-involved-in-our-Lean-UX-workshop/m-p/22918...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 19
by: bluenose5
on: 19/01/2019 | 18:10
Thank You seyhan11 100% Theft.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 19
by: muddycalhoun
on: 21/01/2019 | 13:04 edited: 21/01/2019 | 13:13

@seyhan11 You have revisited a real issue of importance and one that in my opinion should not be left unaddressed any longer.

Payforit seemed like a"good idea at the time" I expect but it has become a money eating bête noir of the mobile networks, whatever the reasons why it is something that giffgaff really let every one of us down by their fence sitting. Not a day goes by without some poor and frustrated member posting a request for help or some kind of explanation in Help and Support having been deducted three, four or five quid from their credit for what they don't know or why.

There is a labs suggestion that probably is our best method for urging giffgaff to give some level of protection, although with the track record of labs ideas, their implementation versus the votes polled is not any guarantee.

With one implemented idea having a handful of votes and other with thousands of yes votes can be deemed not for us. I think this might be a good option for giffgaff to restore some degree of credibility to the whole labs process, that is excellent in its conception but let down by the execution. Here is the 2FA suggestion for payforit in labs, its already polled about two hundred and fifty votes and if the spiel about labs has any veracity it would be worth your vote.

https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex#

Let us hope our caring sharing run by us provider will do what the giant impersonal EE have for their customers. Please, with a cherry on top giffgaff

Hopefully if it was so then giffgaff wouldn't have to field any other requests for redress from members like yourself who have undoubtedly been ripped off and whose interests weren't protected by your mobile provider.

Message 5 of 19
by: frenchielove
on: 21/01/2019 | 17:03

Thanks for that link @muddycalhoun just voted 

Message 6 of 19
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:42
Here is an update. I contacted jam jar via email, told them to refund money writing directly that this is really a theft etc. They responded with an official automated like response, saying "if you are not happy with services YOU subscribed to, then we will refund. "Your Mobile Network does not allow to refund back so " so we will send you a post office slip for refund??? Not sure what this is.. Will wait to see if this is true, BUT WHY GiffGaff Cooperates and does not protect my data and my money, gives them my number, and deducts money from my account, while does not allow TO REFUND back to my account? If this is true, I think this is outrageous as well.
Cooperating what is clearly theft and fraud, and data impeachment, I don't buy it to the payforit technology protocol or explanation, I work in IT in software development.. not in this area.. But I think it can clearly be protected. I used to like GiffGaff till this incident, now I have not so nice feelings.
I will post about if I get a POST Office check or whatever for that 4.50 pounds.. of course, even if this is true, next excuse is it takes ages for this kind of refund, right?

Message 7 of 19
on: 22/01/2019 | 09:43
I absolutely agree that we should not just leave this as our personal incident of 4.50 and complain and move on, we should force GiffGaff to take precautions and protect our personal data such as phone number, and account, money.. we trust them with this. This is in my opinion data impeachment, regardless of what is said about this so called protocol or technology...
Message 8 of 19
by: muggles708
on: 22/01/2019 | 10:01 edited: 22/01/2019 | 10:03

@seyhan11 wrote:

"Your Mobile Network does not allow to refund back so " so we will send you a post office slip for refund??? Not sure what this is.. Will wait to see if this is true, BUT WHY GiffGaff Cooperates and does not protect my data and my money, gives them my number, and deducts money from my account, while does not allow TO REFUND back to my account? If this is true, I think this is outrageous as well.

I will post about if I get a POST Office check or whatever for that 4.50 pounds.. of course, even if this is true, next excuse is it takes ages for this kind of refund, right?

@seyhan11

You almost certainly will receive a refund. It is ridiculous that these companies are unable to refund directly to your phone account. They have no trouble taking the money, but are unable to return the money with the same speed and ease! The text based postal order method is commonly used as a method of refund.

This is actually illegal under consumer rights law. Refunds should be made to the account from which the money was taken, unless the consumer agrees otherwise.

Payforit breaks the law in so many ways, but the networks know that it would be expensive to mount a legal challenge. However, knowing that the law is ultimately on your side makes it easy to get a refund. I have dealt with many cases in the past year, but none of them have actually gone to court, because the companies know they would lose.

GiffGaff should be ashamed to be associated with such a shonky system.

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 9 of 19