Knowledge Base
Community

Paypal payments

Started by: kath72
On: 06/01/2019 | 20:58
Replies: 17

by: woodyuk
on: 07/01/2019 | 18:49

This is a strange one because I pay giffgaff via Paypal and have no problem paying with my Paypal balance and I have both my debit card and bank account linked to my Paypal account.

If I click on "wallet" on the top toolbar of my my paypal account my preferred funding source is set as account balance but also,if I click on the settings cog wheel on that toolbar and go to payments,then click "manage pre approved payments",then choose giffgaff from the list on the left of the page I see this,showing my funding source for my last giffgaff payment as from my account balance so you should be able to do the same.

pp giffgaff.PNG

Message 11 of 18
by: kate1028
on: 07/01/2019 | 18:53 edited: 07/01/2019 | 19:03

That does seems strange @ kath72.   I'm a light user and don't make payments often, but in the middle of November I topped up my husband's phone from my Paypal account, and on 14th December I bought a Goodybag for myself to cover Christmas, again from Paypal.   It's set up as my payment method, but definitely no card details, because I didn't want to give them to Paypal, and was relieved to see as far as they were concerned, only a bank account was necessary.  There's no card details set up for Giffgaff either.

It hasn't been changed recently has it ?   I hope not - I find it so easy just to click Paypal, and it all just happens.   I'd be interested to know what Giffgaff have to say about it all !

Message 12 of 18
by: giffgaff20147
on: 07/01/2019 | 19:45

@kath72

Hello I pay with PayPal no problem 

are you sure it’s not PayPal who are taking from your card ,

have you got your default set as PayPal linked to your bank if you have it will always come from any PayPal credit you have first ,

only if short of funds will it come from primary bank 

if you have no other card on your giffgaff account it should  use PayPal 

bit jumbled but not  easy to explain clearly 

Message 13 of 18
by: kath72
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:05
It is very odd @woodyuk @kate1028 @giffgaff20147

I was able to use PayPal a few times when it was first introduced as a payment method but not for over a year, always it requests card details need to be added.

I suspect the issue may be to do with gg not allowing one off transactions from PayPal, they require a payment mandate to be set up, unlike any other website I have used PayPal with.

But that is my concern here ... gg should allow one off payments to top up your phone. I do not want a payment mandate on my PayPal account, nor do I want to give PayPal my card details. There must be others in this position ! Surely a one off payment ability is not too much to ask

Message 14 of 18
by: giffgaff20147
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:55

@kath72

Wrote But that is my concern here ... gg should allow one off payments to top up your phone. I do not want a payment mandate on my PayPal account, nor do I want to give PayPal my card details. There must be others in this position ! Surely a one off payment ability is not too much to ask 

its personal choice but i don't Mind it being verified I get notified every time a payment goes through PayPal so you know if something dodgy has happened and they will reverse it if it is a bad payment ,unlike credit or debit cards 

Message 15 of 18
by: mijthebarber
on: 09/01/2019 | 10:18
I fund PayPal brilliant
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 18
by: jaymailsays
on: 09/01/2019 | 12:20 edited: 09/01/2019 | 19:31

kath72 wrote:- 

All I want to be able to do is top up my gg account using my paypal balance but this is not allowed without a card on the paypal account and now its charged the card Smiley Mad

@kath72

You shared your bankcard with PayPal to confirm your identity and they sent a code to your bank?

kath72 wrote:-  . I do not want a payment mandate on my PayPal account, nor do I want to give PayPal my card details. 

@kath72

You already shared  your card details with PayPal. 

Rebate your cash balances back to your bank and remove all payment cards.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
by: pete2009
on: 09/01/2019 | 18:56

That's odd. When I pay I get the choice of card or balance to pay so I can't understand why you haven't.

Message 18 of 18