Knowledge Base
Community

Paypal payments

Started by: kath72
On: 06/01/2019 | 20:58
Replies: 17

by: kath72
on: 06/01/2019 | 20:58 edited: 06/01/2019 | 21:31

So I have a credit balance on my paypal account yet it charged the card associated with the account to top up despite it clearly stating when I added the card that it would use the paypal balance first

Really infuriated with the whole process.  All I want to be able to do is top up my gg account using my paypal balance but this is not allowed without a card on the paypal account and now its charged the card Smiley Mad

Just to be clear, I don’t need help here, this is  a thread about the whole way gg uses PayPal for payments

Why do gg do not allow single payments via PayPal, only the setting up of payment mandates, for which a card stored is required. Today I stored a card so I could top up using my balance (which I was assured it would do during the card registration process) but it took the payment from my card ..

This is unacceptable in my opinion! We need one off payments via PayPal, from PayPal balance, not using a card

Message 1 of 18
by: natty_noo
on: 06/01/2019 | 21:39
That doesn't sound right, especially if you haven't authorised the payment to the card. Have you asked an agent why it's happened?
Message 2 of 18
by: mcilwraith
on: 06/01/2019 | 22:34

my card is registered with paypal so ne problem for me but i understand your frustration @kath72

a one off payment should be available

Message 3 of 18
by: jokeyboi77
on: 06/01/2019 | 23:07

Did this happen all in one transaction @kath72? Did it get you to confirm the payment on the PayPal page? It could be PayPal at fault, because they should be taking the payment from your balance before the card associated with the PayPal account, or at least that's how it works on my PayPal account, so the next time on the confirmation page make sure it's set to take from the balance first, mind you I've got my card associated with my PayPal account so I don't bother with a PayPal balance anymore, but I'm just thinking if there was an option to change it on the confirmation page.

Message 4 of 18
by: pault1974
on: 07/01/2019 | 00:25

Something strange going on there @kath72.  I've just looked, in my PayPal account, at some of the previous payments I have made to giffgaff and each time I have had a Paypal balance that would cover the payment it WAS taken from the balance. 

Like you said, when you first add PayPal as a payment method on giffgaff the agreement states .. 

By clicking Agree and Pay I confirm that I want to use Visa x-2014for my current and future purchases with giffgaff. I authorise giffgaff to charge my PayPal account for such purchases and I instruct PayPal to pay such amounts. I understand this lets me check out faster by not having to log in to PayPal to complete my purchase. I understand that if I have a PayPal balance, that balance will be used first and that if my preferred funding source has expired or been declined, PayPal will charge my backup funding source. I can change my preferred funding source or cancel this authorisation at any time in my PayPal Account. The payments will be treated by PayPal as pre-approved payments as specified in the PayPal User Agreement

Message 5 of 18
on: 07/01/2019 | 07:06
@pault1974
Exactly ... it’s in the card set up agreement it should come from balance

However ... there should be the option to make one off payments to gg from PayPal without setting up a payment mandate or needing a card stored

We could use PayPal without having a card stored when it was first introduced, then it always came from PayPal balance, we should have that ability back ... I can do do with every other company I payments to through PayPal
Message 6 of 18
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 07/01/2019 | 09:59

@kath72 this should not be happening i would contact an agent to get the issue lookes into 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 18
by: tradertall
on: 07/01/2019 | 11:46
god this is really bad
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 18
by: kate1028
on: 07/01/2019 | 14:24 edited: 07/01/2019 | 14:30

Well, all I can say is, I always use Paypal to pay, and I don't have a card connected to the account.  Is it something to do with the fact that I have Paypal set up as my payment method ?    I've never had any difficulty with it, and have no intention of giving either Paypal, or Giffgaff my card details.   I do have a bank account associated with Paypal however, and that seems to work just fine.

Sorry you've had your card charged in error @kath72 - presumably it's just one off payments which need card details - mine works fine without, but that's with a mandate.

Message 9 of 18
on: 07/01/2019 | 17:35
@kate1028
I have a bank account connected to PayPal but after the first couple of months of PayPal being a payment option it has not allowed me to buy either airtime credit or a goody bag. It goes straight to a screen requesting me to add a card to my PayPal account. This time I added the debit card associated with the bank account to see if I then pay by PayPal balance. When the transaction was confirmed it informed me the card payment had been processed

I wonder why it allows you to use PayPal without card details on there but not me ??
Message 10 of 18