Started by: giffgaffer_iain
On: 20/07/2018 | 14:35
Replies: 47

Highlighted
by: giffgaffer_iain
handy giff-staffer

on: 20/07/2018 | 14:35

Hi community,

My name is Iain. I'm a product owner at giffgaff working with the phones team.

We're always looking for ways we can make it easier for our members when they are buying a phone, and right now we're exploring options for click and collect.

Lots of local supermarkets and convenience stores are offering parcel collection services around the country, so we're looking at whether being able to collect a phone from a 'parcel shop' would help our members.

We're looking at 3 options.

1.  If we've already tried to deliver a phone but the member was out, we'd give the option to collect the phone from a nearby parcel shop of their choice
  2.  At the point that the member received a dispatch confirmation email from giffgaff, we'd give the option to collect their phone from a nearby parcel shop of their choice
  3.  When the member is purchasing the phone on the giffgaff website, instead of providing delivery details the member could select a nearby parcel shop to collect their phone from.

We'd love to know what do you think?

Are all three of these options valuable for members, or would you use one more than another? Do you think they will make buying a phone easier,  is it something you'd use, is it something you'd trust with such a valuable item as a phone?

All thoughts and opinions gratefully received, thanks in advance for your help and wisdom! 

Kind regards

Iain and the giffgaff phones team

Message 1 of 48
by: woodyuk
on: 20/07/2018 | 15:01 edited: 20/07/2018 | 15:02

I think this is an excellent plan and long overdue because giffgaff have been losing phone sales that I know of because of the inability to have phones delivered to work addresses so the "collect from a parcel shop" option would allow buyers to collect their phones after work.

I like the 3rd option best because it's a "one stop" solution,rather than having to choose a parcel shop after they've received a dispatch confirmation email or had a failed delivery,they can just organise collection as part of the order process with no need to do anything else later.

Message 2 of 48
by: williamwalker
on: 20/07/2018 | 15:06

Hi @giffgaffer_iain

Have you not read threads and posts by members over the last 3-4 years.

It's a bit of a insulting making out this is something that you've thought up have a look at the suggestions members have made for years surely they should get some credit for this.

Message 3 of 48
by: kath72
on: 20/07/2018 | 15:07
Definately, yes!!

I could Choose click and collect at the time of purchase and I would have bought 2 additional phones from gg in the past year instead of going to cpw as it is rare anyone is available to be home all day!
Message 4 of 48
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 20/07/2018 | 16:16

@giffgaffer_iain this is fantastic news and long over due.  Will make alot of members happy.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 48
by: as7861
on: 20/07/2018 | 16:35 edited: 20/07/2018 | 17:33

Hi @giffgaffer_iain

I have not bought a phone from giffgaff but I have used pick and drop. It added that convenient factor and it is very secure. Ability to refuse the parcel, some places have extended hours to pick up too. So that is great too Smiley Happy

It will definitely be a great option to add for delivery.

Kudo for the feature (if I was to ever buy a new phone)

Half my message was deleted - 

option 3 as explained above the option is given upfront. 

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 48
by: mcilwraith
on: 20/07/2018 | 16:43

Click and collect would be a handy addition to the phone buying process 

Message 7 of 48
by: figment_uk
on: 20/07/2018 | 17:18 edited: 21/07/2018 | 08:16

@giffgaffer_iain

All I can say is "It's about time"!  The inflexibility of the existing rule must put many off buying. 

In order of preference, 3, 1, 2

Option 3 would benefit anyone with work or other commitments that mean they cannot be home.   Opting for delivery to a parcel shop at the point of order puts the member in control, allowing them to collect when convenient, knowing that their selected parcel shop may open early morning and/or late into the evening.   This would also give anyone that lives at a "non-standard" address the ability to purchase a phone.

Option 1  could include an automatic redelivery to the selected parcel shop next day after one failed delivery attempt, saving the member having to get home, find the failed delivery card and then log on to rearrange the delivery, which could delay the delivery by a further 24 hours.

I don't like option 2 at all, as I can see it being fraught with problems, especially on those occasions when the dispatch confirmation is delayed and doesn't arrive until the day of delivery, making it too late for "in flight" changes.

As an aside, I've never quite understood the logic of insisting the delivery can only be made to the cardholder's billing address for security, and then giving UKMail licence to deliver to a neighbour (or anywhere else the driver fancies, it seems).

As for your final question "is it something you'd trust with such a valuable item as a phone?"  surely that's a question giffgaff need to be asking themselves. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes the retailer responsible for goods until they are in the physical possession of the buyer, or in the possession of someone appointed by the buyer to accept them.  This means that retailers are liable for the service provided by the couriers they employ (which I believe would extend to the parcel shops holding the goods pending collection)

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 8 of 48
by: endorphin
on: 20/07/2018 | 17:31

Hi @giffgaffer_iain I would say that option 3 is the best and only one that should be considered. This way the transaction is wrapped up in one go, ie choose the phone, choose where you want it delivered to and pay for it.

The other two options require additional input from the user after the initial order has been placed which I don't think is ideal.

I am interested though how you would think that click & collect is as secure as having it delivered to a verified home address.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 9 of 48
by: ujo55
on: 20/07/2018 | 18:06 edited: 20/07/2018 | 18:07

This has been raised by members here for a very long time so good that giffgaff are at last considering it.
The model that is well established with other companies seems to work and that is the one I would recommend gg consider.
- The member would still need supply their home address when ordering and this must match the billing address of the credit card for security .
- The member could then choose home delivery or click and collect at point of order i.e option 3..
- Upon collection the member must present the credit card used to place the order plus a copy of the order confirmation for identification.
Works well for John Lewis and PC World, but of course if offering the service gg will be responsible for the delivery until it is the hands of the customer.

Message 10 of 48