Knowledge Base
Community

Pick a number

Started by: hornbeam34
On: 16/12/2018 | 06:30
Replies: 7

by: hornbeam34
on: 16/12/2018 | 06:30

Would it be possible when taking out a new account you could actually choose from a range of mobile numbers, so that it’s a bit more personal. I’m sure that when I got my first mobile phone and number back in ‘91 I was able to select my number from the ones the retailer had available.

Message 1 of 8
by: persco
on: 16/12/2018 | 07:28

@hornbeam34 wrote:

Would it be possible when taking out a new account you could actually choose from a range of mobile numbers, so that it’s a bit more personal. I’m sure that when I got my first mobile phone and number back in ‘91 I was able to select my number from the ones the retailer had available.

Hi @hornbeam34 Not on giffgaff or any network on pay as you go. But you can get these numbers on eBay and port into giffgaff with the Port Authorisation Code or pac code to retain that number. Those numbers tend to be expensive. 

This has been suggested a number of times but giffgaff seem not interested in it. 

Please do set BEST ANSWER for posts that help you. Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 8
by: clikasarus
on: 16/12/2018 | 08:25
@hornbeam34 welcome to giffgaff and the community great answer from @persco you can get some great gold numbers from eBay and they are not that dear a lot of members have done this 👍🏻
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 8
by: ujo55
on: 16/12/2018 | 08:40
The way I got my number was to look through that at that time the now defunct Sainsbury mobile had in their store, and moved it to giffgaff.
I guess you can do the same where other outlets have SIMs with the number of the packaging on display - EE, ASDA Tesco etc, as it is unique to GG a number is not allocated until activation.
Message 4 of 8
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 16/12/2018 | 09:29
Hi,
Like said before, giffgaff are not interested in this I am afraid
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 5 of 8
by: allan1954
on: 16/12/2018 | 10:16
giffgaff has its own sort of gold numbers as one of my family has one it has a lot of zeros in it but this was randomly allocated to him.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 8
by: mij_sky
on: 16/12/2018 | 22:27
yeah would be nice ,, but most people port a number so it dont matter
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 8
by: glaswegianeric
on: 17/12/2018 | 02:33
@persco @hornbeam34

1pmobile allow you to pick a number, if my memory serves me well, some numbers for a premium.

Also, like others were saying, picking a sim in a supermarket with a decent looking combination and moving the number to giffgaff is also an option.

Giffgaff themselves aren't interested in offering this feature.
Message 8 of 8