Knowledge Base
Community

Premium text scam

Started by: wilja
On: 12/07/2018 | 08:55
Replies: 3

by: wilja
on: 12/07/2018 | 08:55

There appears to be an increasing amount of people being caught with the text premium scam. Thanks to people like @sloz there are some really helpful posts to read that should help the victims. Thankfully I haven't fallen victim to it myself but from the advice given you need to text stop which will cost 10p. As I understand it if you have nothing in your balance they can't take the money but as soon as you top up again they will take it.  Not everyone keeps a small amount in their balance all the time so if you have nothing then obviously you can't text stop.  With £10 being the smallest top up to deposit in your balance , surely this feeds the scammers further. Are giffgaff doing anything to help these people that have no balance with the 10p needed for the text?  I realise that none of this is giffgaff's fault but are they helping people to top up with a smaller amount to be used for the stop text.? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 4
by: nominate
on: 12/07/2018 | 09:24 edited: 12/07/2018 | 09:51
Click to reveal

wilja wrote:

There appears to be an increasing amount of people being caught with the text premium scam. Thanks to people like @sloz there are some really helpful posts to read that should help the victims. Thankfully I haven't fallen victim to it myself but from the advice given you need to text stop which will cost 10p. As I understand it if you have nothing in your balance they can't take the money but as soon as you top up again they will take it.  Not everyone keeps a small amount in their balance all the time so if you have nothing then obviously you can't text stop.  With £10 being the smallest top up to deposit in your balance , surely this feeds the scammers further. Are giffgaff doing anything to help these people that have no balance with the 10p needed for the text?  I realise that none of this is giffgaff's fault but are they helping people to top up with a smaller amount to be used for the stop text.?

Like the Credit Cushion that gg said they were going to launch?

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/Coming-soon-A-brand-new-feature-for-goodybags/m-p/21947...

Message 2 of 4
by: muggles708
on: 12/07/2018 | 09:31

wilja wrote:

You have identified a problem which has already arisen a couple of times. It would be good if, as a goodwill gesture, GiffGaff could credit people in this situation with 10p which they could use to send a STOP text. Alternatively they could provide a facility to do a smaller top-up. Unfortunately they are totally disinterested in these scams and rarely do anything to help.

I always advise consumers to phone the company instead of sending a STOP text. The companes are required to operate a helpline number which must be an 01,02 or 03 number which can be called using Goodybag minutes. There is often an automated unsubscribe option. You also need to speak to the company, as even if no money has been taken (because you have no airtime credit),  there may be pending charges which need to be cancelled.

Paul

http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Help put a stop to 'Payforit' scams: Respond to the Phone-paid Services Authority Consultation
Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
by: richardski
on: 15/07/2018 | 10:04
The revenue from Premium texts is shared between the originater and the MNO/MVNO. The MNOs just take the money from their own customers and take a large cut and pass teh residue to teh originator.

There are no checks as to the legitimacy of these charges and MNOs have no incentve to controll them.

It is time that regulations were brought it to prevent payment for Premium texts or calls unless the customer explicitly authorities the MNO to make these payments. Easy to set up and long over due.

Richard

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 4