Knowledge Base
Community

Reacurring goodybag

Started by: chelseamaniac
On: 15/07/2016 | 23:49
Replies: 9

by: chelseamaniac
on: 15/07/2016 | 23:49

These should start at midnight not at 1130 like mine just done. Say if I wanted to make a phone call or use up the rest of the data. Cheated

Will be turning off reacurring goodybag from now on

Message 1 of 10
by: matt_french
on: 15/07/2016 | 23:52
Always turn it off. You're lucky it started at 11.30, some have started at 7.30. Disgraceful.
Message 2 of 10
on: 15/07/2016 | 23:54

Learnt my lession robbing I will be taking it up with a agent I hate being cheated. I only used 1 mb of data but this is not the point

Message 3 of 10
by: harrrrrry
on: 16/07/2016 | 08:14 edited: 16/07/2016 | 08:15

I understand your frustration, but what you are asking isn't possible with the present charging structure.

If giffgaff had only one user, it would be possible to start their goodybag at exactly midnight.

If giffgaff had two users, one of them would have to start a fraction before midnight because they are processed sequentially.

But giffgaff has tens of thousands of users that need recurring goodybags updated every day. That's why processing them has to start several hours before midnight. Currently that's 7.30pm.

The alternative would be to start processing them at midnight, but that would mean that some users would be without a goodybag until 4.30am the next day. If they used data between midnight and the time their replacement goodybag actually starts, then that data would be charged 5p/Mb at PAYG rates -- and that would be substantially worse than the goodybag starting a few hours early.

The problem could possibly be solved in several ways, but the present method is probably the best that can be achieved with the limitations of the present software.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 10
by: weelesleymc
on: 16/07/2016 | 09:00 edited: 16/07/2016 | 09:01

You get the full day when your goodybag is first bought
Or did you buy yours at 1 minute to midnight @chelseamaniac

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 10
by: mcilwraith
on: 16/07/2016 | 10:31

@weelesleymc never seen a member yet who has taken this into consideration 

Message 6 of 10
by: harrrrrry
on: 16/07/2016 | 10:52

@weelesleymc

The complaint above is about recurring goodybag processing.

More specifically, it is about users losing unexpired minutes/texts/data/texts during the final hours of the previous goodybag, because the recurring process has to start the new goodybag a few hours early.

This means that minutes/data/texts used in the final hours of the goodybag are charged to "tomorrow's" goodybag instead of using the unexpired balance of the current one.

In theory, it evens out after the first month, if the new goodybag starts early by about the same number of hours every month.

In practice, it doesn't because users don't necessarily use the same amount of calls/text/data in the final few hours of every month.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 10
by: wilpatgala
on: 18/07/2016 | 17:16

I do not recur my goodybag now as I have been changing goodbag once or twice recently.

******************************************************************************************

If you would like a free SIM sent directly to your door, please click my name link below

Get a free giffgaff SIM. It includes £5 free credit, yay!
Message 8 of 10
by: jimfraegala
on: 18/07/2016 | 18:58

To be honest with you @chelseamaniac I have not recurred my bag for a good while now.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
on: 18/07/2016 | 19:34

First time I ever done it rthat was

Message 10 of 10