Remember BBM Pins

Started by: diwatty
On: 23/10/2013 | 17:09
Replies: 17

Go to best answer
by: oldyorkie
on: 23/10/2013 | 20:23
@diwatty

Hmmm... You've posted in a style that would appear to be impersonating a representative (educator?) of giffgaff.... which is also something that you might want to consider the consequences of (Think in terms of your most recent and frequent queries).

A Private Message is just that and will not be an issue if members want to disclose anything such as BBM pins or (as I very often do) sharing private email details.

What you quote from t_will relates to personal abuse and conduct... Not the sharing of stuff like this.
To Read is To Learn - go on - give it a try Smiley Wink
Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at Smiley TongueGet a free giffgaff Simsignature 1.jpg
Message 11 of 18
by: doct0r
on: 23/10/2013 | 20:23
The way I've always seen it is to protect all members. Although we're all a friendly bunch, giffgaff can't protect if you choose to publish personal information.

If something untoward did happen, would you wish to blame giffgaff when they have specified it's against guidelines?
I'm so happy Smiley Happy

So happy and married to the beautiful Simone_W

05/07/2017
Message 12 of 18
by: andreww
on: 23/10/2013 | 20:26

Do people really still use BBM?? Smiley Surprised Smiley Tongue

Probably having a beer in the sunshine somewhere.
Message 13 of 18
by: diwatty
on: 23/10/2013 | 20:30

@oldyorkie wrote:
@diwatty

Hmmm... You've posted in a style that would appear to be impersonating a representative (educator?) of giffgaff.... which is also something that you might want to consider the consequences of (Think in terms of your most recent and frequent queries).

A Private Message is just that and will not be an issue if members want to disclose anything such as BBM pins or (as I very often do) sharing private email details.

What you quote from t_will relates to personal abuse and conduct... Not the sharing of stuff like this.

Fixed my post. Edited the post. 

But Yorkie i was simply pointing out that its against the guidlines to my knowlage from the content i have seen Smiley Sad never ment any harm.

Silver Approved Helper.
Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
by: christian_b
former giff-staffer

on: 23/10/2013 | 20:52

Hi all,

The main thing is to be responsible. If you are friendly with other members of the community and feel safe in sharing your BBM pin to them in private, that's your prerogative.

However, you should always be careful with sharing your personal details online, so please do so with care.

Read my Obsessions blog and Guilty Pleasures blog

kbbanner.png     Community Guidelines     
Message 15 of 18
by: diwatty
on: 23/10/2013 | 20:55

@christian_b wrote:

Hi all,

The main thing is to be responsible. If you are friendly with other members of the community and feel safe in sharing your BBM pin to them in private, that's your prerogative.

However, you should always be careful with sharing your personal details online, so please do so with care.

Thank you Christain. Just got mixed messages 

Silver Approved Helper.
Message 16 of 18
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 25/10/2013 | 10:57

@rebeccairwin wrote:

This is all very confusing, please can a staff member clarify all this as I dont want to break the rules by accident.

I just want to also clarify that while these are in the guidelines, it's there for your own protection, not because of a wish from us to stop you interacting with each other or anything. We love for you guys to have strong relationships with each other. We're never going to slap anyone on the wrist for posting their phone number, BBM pin or anything else; all we do is remove it from a post and explain to the member in private why we did it. You don't need to be worried about inadvertently breaking the rule because all we want is what is best for you.

Former Community Manager 
Message 17 of 18
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 25/10/2013 | 11:14

@diwatty wrote:
Bob please read Craig's addition at the bottom

Just quickly here - the guidelines were completely re-written earlier this year (see my reply at the bottom of the guidelines thread). We've left David's and Craig's replies in the chain for historical reasons only.

With regards the sharing of personal details, our only concern is sharing on the public forums. That's for everyone's protection (yours and ours) as our public forums can be accessed by anyone or anything (eg robots harvesting phone numbers or email addresses for selling/spamming).

It's worth noting here that while our guidelines in their entirety are intended to apply to all areas of the forums (including PMs), there are some of the rules that we don't apply for PMs. If you want to share your email address, BBM PIN or other details to someone via PM - that's your choice. We'd advise caution (don't give it out to a stranger just because they asked!) but ultimately we're not going to take any ation against someone sharing contact details via PM.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 18 of 18