Knowledge Base
Community

Roaming price hike in Channel Islands, Isle of Man & Switzerland - poor planning by giffgaff?

Started by: nfh
On: 30/05/2017 | 18:21
Replies: 85

by: nfh
on: 30/05/2017 | 18:21

steverjames wrote:

I know this isn’t ideal for people who are going to areas that have increased in price, and I wish we didn’t have to do that if I’m honest. Unfortunately the costs just don’t add up otherwise. It’s a very delicate balancing act between how much benefit people get and whether it’s something we can sustain. One thing we looked at is introducing a new roaming pricing tier, for example, but the development time that would have taken would have put us past our June implementation deadline.

@steverjames  - The 15th June 2017 implementation date of Regulation (EU) 2015/2120 has been widely known since the European Commission's press release on 30th June 2015, almost two years ago. The subsequent regulation containing the relevant detail was published on 25th November 2015, over 18 months ago.

For many years, giffgaff has been voluntarily including non-EEA Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Switzerland and Monaco within the same pricing tier as EEA countries, because the high level of the EU roaming price caps has made it feasible to do so. Giffgaff has known since 30th June 2015 that it would have to apply domestic prices (including goodybags) to EEA roaming with effect from 15th June 2017, and therefore that the unregulated wholesale prices charged by networks in Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Switzerland and Monaco would make it difficult to continue treating these 5 non-EEA destinations in the same way as EEA destinations.

On 8th March 2017, gifgaff implemented a new roaming pricing tier for "Zone A" (comprising Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Egypt, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Russia, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and United States). I therefore ask you:

1. Given that giffgaff has known since 30th June 2015 that it would likewise need to create another new pricing tier for Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Switzerland and Monaco with effect from 15th June 2017, why did you leave it almost two years until May 2017 to start thinking about the development required or about any other solution?
  2. Why was a new pricing tier for these 5 non-EEA destinations not implemented at the same time as the new "Zone A" pricing tier?
  3. Why should giffgaff members suffer a 200-fold price increase from 0.5p/min to £1/min for incoming calls in these 5 destinations as a result of giffgaff's failure to plan ahead, despite giffgaff having had the unusual luxury of two years' notice?
  4. Other UK networks are offering roaming at domestic prices in these 5 non-EEA destinations, and Three has done so for a long time. What is different about giffgaff, compared to other UK networks, that prevents it from doing the same? For example, does giffgaff pay higher wholesale charges than other UK networks pay to networks in these 5 non-EEA destinations?

This huge unmerited increase in roaming charges in Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Switzerland and Monaco has upset a lot of giffgaff members. In particular @bigjlenny, @cyrillic_guy, @frpc, @chellyyy94, @dannyromeril, @koolrulez, @rutolander, @bighairytoe, @1colinh, @soruk, @dianehand, @chopdog_iphone, @weetinamc  and @karlhoran4 have all quite rightly questioned or challenged the increase. I invite these members to "report content" of my post in order to draw educators' attention to it and to solicit your earliest response to the above four questions.

Message 1 of 86
by: saxel
on: 30/05/2017 | 18:34
Please @nfh add me o that list, I find it a terrible admission from @steverjames that Giffgaff have failed to adequately plan for this change despite knowing about it for 2 years.
Perhaps a better use for the blackboard in the Giffgaff office would be to list key dates as a reminder rather than writing pointless thoughts and quotes.
Please GiffGaff answer the pertinent questions asked in a proper way.
Message 2 of 86
by: bigjlenny
on: 30/05/2017 | 18:34
Hi,
I have reported content.
Thank you for putting all this info together!. Hopefully there will be a sensible response or unfortunately switching provider seems the only sensible thing to do.
Message 3 of 86
by: bigjlenny
on: 30/05/2017 | 19:24
Just had an email from GG saying they are flagging it up for a response...
Message 4 of 86
by: bighairytoe
on: 30/05/2017 | 19:32
So why is it on your sister network o2 and also on your linked Telefonica partner tesco mobile it will be included and free......all the main networks roaming in these countries it will inclusive and free....gg is ripping us off
Message 5 of 86
on: 30/05/2017 | 19:39
Free and inclusive on o2 tesco 3 ee and vodafone but£1 per minute on gg you can guess who I won't use visiting these places
Message 6 of 86
on: 30/05/2017 | 19:47
A way around this to avoid gg rip off prices is grab a sim from any network above divert all calls to the new sim on rival network and hey presto it's included free incoming all be it taken out your minutes to divert.....least you won't pay this hyper over the top inflated price
Message 7 of 86
Highlighted
on: 30/05/2017 | 20:30 edited: 30/05/2017 | 20:31

HOW TO AVOID THIS TOTALLY

(you know your travelling to these destinations do this not to be ripped off)

Grab a o2, tesco, ee, 3, or vodafone sim,  port your number away from gg a few days before you leave UK to the new sim.............now you can roam freely in Channel Islands, Isle of Man & Switzerland send texts as you do in uk, use data as you do in uk......then come back to UK and port your number back to gg....

No one in the right mind will pay £1 per minute incoming/outgoing when its FREE incoming/Inclusive minute on rivals on sister owned O2 and Tesco (all Telefonica Group companies like GG)

I suggest if anyone asks in the forum about these charges that we put this scenario to them.

I wonder if they will actually come back?

Message 8 of 86
by: saxel
on: 30/05/2017 | 20:48
I really wonder how much additional revenue this will generate for GiffGaff and if it really worthwhile considering
The ill feeling generated amongst many GG customers
The fact that it has turned a good news story for most providers into something rather different for GG.
The possible wider implications, will for instance Which still class them as a recommended provider once they become aware of the price hike - generally this behavior is not something they approve of.

Shame that GG have over recent months somehow lost the ability to listen, a common theme from many recently implemented policies.
Let us hope things change.
Message 9 of 86
by: rutolander
on: 30/05/2017 | 23:01
When I go I go for good and no doubt my family and as many friends as I can get to come with me.
I feel totally let down by gg
It's up to them I hope that they find solution to this but I'm not optimistic
Message 10 of 86