Knowledge Base
Community

Rogue sim card deliveries.

Started by: woodyuk
On: 06/02/2018 | 15:21
Replies: 24

by: woodyuk
on: 06/02/2018 | 15:21

Over the last couple of weeks there have been several complaints at Twitter from members of the public who aren't giffgaff users that they've had giffgaff sims delivered through the post addressed to people they've never heard of.

The situation seems to be getting worse because there have been 3 more complaints so far today which I'll post snips of below and the lady at the bottom of the list has now received a total of 12 giffgaff sims in the last 6 days,I lot of 2,then another lot of 4,then another 6 today,all addressed to different people,none of who she's ever heard of and she had already contacted the giffgaff complaints email address before today's bunch of sims arrived

I'm at a loss to understand quite what's going on but it's definitely a bit strange,has anyone got any ideas?

sim1.PNGsim2.PNGsim3.PNG

Message 1 of 25
by: figment_uk
on: 06/02/2018 | 17:55 edited: 06/02/2018 | 17:56

The SIM envelopes have a code printed on them that giffgaff can decipher to discover the source of the orders

I also believe the agents will blacklist an address on request.

Another option is to write 'Not known' on the envelopes and put them back in the mail for return to giffgaff's fulfilment centre.

Join giffgaff during May 2019 for a chance to win goodies worth around £2500. Order a SIM now using the link below

Message 2 of 25
on: 06/02/2018 | 18:07

@figment_uk when the lady at the bottom of the list of tweets received the first 2 sims on 31/01 the agents told her to contact the giffgaff complaints email address which she did straight away,and her address would be removed.

Perhaps it takes a while for the system to remove the address but since then she's had another 10 sims land on her doormat.

Message 3 of 25
by: tids
on: 06/02/2018 | 18:08
That's a strange occurrence possibly it's a wrong address used to order them ?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 25
by: endorphin
on: 06/02/2018 | 19:00

I believe that these are due to pranksters or someone who lives at similar addresses (eg flats).

giffgaff should adhere to any requests to blacklist affected addresses.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 5 of 25
on: 06/02/2018 | 19:29

@endorphin I think there's a bit more to it than that because as if by magic,as I was reading your reply,this popped up in my Twitter feed so that's the 4th lot so far today.

I can't work out for the life of me what's going on but it wants nipping in the bud before the terms "giffgaff" + "fraud" or "identity theft" are all over social media.I'm sure that's not what's happening but it won't stop people from mentioning it.

sim4.PNG

Message 6 of 25
by: gsklb04
on: 06/02/2018 | 20:42
Sounds like someone has ordered them to upset the people who are receiving them.
https://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gsklb04
Message 7 of 25
by: ujo55
on: 06/02/2018 | 21:15
@woodyuk
Maybe that is the idea behind this unfortunately.
Message 8 of 25
by: alecalexandrou
on: 06/02/2018 | 21:31
A much simpler explanation is that members are ordering sims to random addresses or to people that they hope might activate them so that they can earn some payback.
Do not really understand why some people take the time to complain about something that can easily be rectified by placing in the bin.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 25
by: revjonty
on: 06/02/2018 | 21:32
Sounds to me like someone is simply putting random names and addresses into the form in the hope that the recipients will activate a sim and earn them selves payback.

In the case of the multiple sims, maybe it is malicious, but in most cases the motivation is probably financial gain.

I would suggest that people are told to send them back as unknown at this address, and that giffgaff trace whose affiliate link they are being generated from, and then follow it up with that member/s.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 25