by: carrow1
on: 06/02/2018 | 22:38
Sounds just like fake news to me.
Message 11 of 25
by: figment_uk
on: 07/02/2018 | 05:45

@woodyuk

woodyuk wrote:

@endorphin I think there's a bit more to it than that because as if by magic,as I was reading your reply,this popped up in my Twitter feed so that's the 4th lot so far today.

I can't work out for the life of me what's going on but it wants nipping in the bud before the terms "giffgaff" + "fraud" or "identity theft" are all over social media.I'm sure that's not what's happening but it won't stop people from mentioning it.

sim4.PNG

This lady specifically mentions "welcome SIM" making me wonder if it is the welcome pack sent out after SIM activation, in which case someone is activating SIM cards with fake names / addresses. 

Payback selection choice is now closed. Payout expected to begin late afternoon on Monday 17th June 2019 

Message 12 of 25
on: 07/02/2018 | 05:47

@alecalexandrou

alecalexandrou wrote:

A much simpler explanation is that members are ordering sims to random addresses or to people that they hope might activate them so that they can earn some payback.
Do not really understand why some people take the time to complain about something that can easily be rectified by placing in the bin.

Probably because those receiving the SIM cards do not understand how giffgaff works and are concerned about identity theft. 

Payback selection choice is now closed. Payout expected to begin late afternoon on Monday 17th June 2019 

Message 13 of 25
by: kath72
on: 07/02/2018 | 06:52

figment_uk wrote:

@woodyuk

woodyuk wrote:

@

sim4.PNG

This lady specifically mentions "welcome SIM" making me wonder if it is the welcome pack sent out after SIM activation, in which case someone is activating SIM cards with fake names / addresses. 

That seems very likely .... And the only reason to do that is to have an untraceable SIM which one would only really want if you were up to no good with it 

If GG had these sims returned to them they might be able to track accounts being used for criminal activity! 

Message 14 of 25
by: kate1028
on: 07/02/2018 | 08:43

I agree @kath72 - but since they presumably are paying to activate them, then it would need to be worth their while to do so !   Sounds really fishy, doesn't it !  Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 25
by: woodyuk
on: 07/02/2018 | 09:16 edited: 07/02/2018 | 09:17

@figment_uk well spotted,I'd completely overlooked the welcome pack bit and I bet you're right.

Someone is activating giffgaff sims with ficticious names but real addresses (which is needed for activation I think isn't it?) and then the follow up welcome packs are being delivered to those addresses.

They're probably untraceable as well because if the sim they activate is bought from their local shop there'll be no affiliate details linked to it.

One things for sure though,if that is what's happening there's some kind of dodgy motive behind it.

Message 16 of 25
by: endorphin
on: 07/02/2018 | 11:03

Yes there are plenty of ne'er-do-wells who would benefit from having an untraceable SIM. Unfortunately I don't think there's much giffgaff can do about this apart from blocking complainants' addresses so that they don't receive any more SIMs.

giffgaff should also put out some sort of message that although the complainants have been sent SIMs to their addresses which are publicly accessible, there has been no disclosure of personal data by giffgaff.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 17 of 25
on: 07/02/2018 | 14:09

@woodyuk

If the are welcome packs, they include the mobile number that was issued on activation which may help giffgaff track down the culprits (although if they are spammers the SIM was probably ditched soon after it was activated and used. )

Message 18 of 25
by: p7dwy
on: 07/02/2018 | 17:23

Hello @woodyuk

I know why this is happening:

There are lots of dodgy people on eBay setting up multiple accounts in false names with the intention on listing loads of expensive items for sale that they don't actually have, they sell the items, take the money and then forget about that account and move on to the next one.

To do this successfully they most first build up a good feedback score usually at least 50 positive feedbacks, and one of the easiest ways to build up fake feedbacks is by buying up loads of giffgaff SIM cards for 1p each. Because the giffgaff sellers have the address checked when they complete the orders, the dodgy eBay buyers have to use genuine addresses that check out ok.

Hence why some folk are getting giffgaff SIM cards through there letterboxes in the names of complete strangers, it's bad for the folk getting the junk mail, bad for folk trying to get plenty of activations by selling SIM cards on ebay and bad for giffgaff.

If I've helped please press the Kudos + button or Set as best answer
Message 19 of 25
by: ijustcantdoit
on: 07/02/2018 | 19:21

woodyuk wrote:

@endorphin I think there's a bit more to it than that because as if by magic,as I was reading your reply,this popped up in my Twitter feed so that's the 4th lot so far today.

I can't work out for the life of me what's going on but it wants nipping in the bud before the terms "giffgaff" + "fraud" or "identity theft" are all over social media.I'm sure that's not what's happening but it won't stop people from mentioning it.

sim4.PNG

woodyuk wrote:

sim4.PNG

@woodyuk

Maybe peeps are just spamming peeps addresses with the sims , hoping someone activates them .

Especially with biggder payback offer in jan for new activations 

“Welcome
Message 20 of 25