Community

Run By You summer challenges 2017

Started by: claw
On: 21/03/2017 | 10:18
Replies: 47

by: claw
on: 21/03/2017 | 10:18 edited: 28/04/2017 | 11:27

Hello everyone,

Now that the weather is getting nicer it would be great to start thinking about some Summer activities. A few weeks ago I posted an idea to do some Spring/Summer challenges. Since then I've taken on board many of the suggestions and comments and I have been working with Aggie and other giffgaff members to make this happen. We're looking for fun, interactive activities with fairly low entry barrier so everyone can easily get involved. As a community, we will be running two challenges a month and we're looking for some volunteers to help us out by hosting some challenges. I am eager to get as many people involved as possible in hosting these challenges. This is very much a community centred project; run by you! (us!) Aggie is currently working on ordering some nice merch for most active giffgaffers (this will be a very cool surprise so we can't say anything more) while I'm doing some content planning. If we could get takers for at least some of these challenges it would be fantastic. The reasoning behind this is to have some fun but also encourage collaboration and creativity with the whole community!

In the spoiler below I've included a peek at what's coming up and if this seems like something you are interested in getting involved in hosting any of these challenges please feel free to get in touch either with myself or @aggy_agate directly via PM or post in this thread!

Spoiler

May 1st-14th: May is National Walking Month. National Walking Month is a campaign to promote the benefits of walking and to get everyone walking, no matter what your level of fitness is. Walking is simple and free and one of the easiest ways to be more active, lose weight and become healthier. In order to celebrate this healthy activity, we want our first challenge to encourage you guys to leave your computers and get yourselves out there. And I know I would certainly benefit from this! It's simple. No matter if it's a long walk or a quick jog around the house, download an app that counts steps and upload a daily screenshot of how many steps you've killed. Push yourself to spend at least 15mins a day to be in fresh air. Cut your lunch break a bit shorter or choose over a coffee shop that's further away from the office. We won't torture you for the whole month so let's start with 2 weeks and see how we feel. If this gets you in some fun adventures share those stories too.

May 15th-31st: Well, we're almost there. Summertime! It's time to get your grills out. Get together with friends and have a nice cold pint or two. This is the barbeque challenge folks! Show us the good time. Share pics of your barbeque parties. And if you haven't planned one just yet it's the right time to do it. It's summer after all.

June 1st-15th: It's June! Yaay! This is one I am particularly excited for! Let's do the giffgaff ice cream challenge. You're allowed to have as many as you want. It's okay. Find an ice cream recipe and experiment a bit. Take a pic of your homemade ice cream and show us how you've done it. If you don't own a blender or a smoothie maker simply share your all-time favourite ice cream. Perhaps it's no longer manufactured but you still can taste that lovely flavour from when you were just a kid? Get involved and tell us about it. This is all things ice cream time!

June 15th-30th: Sunglasses challenge! Oh yes. Have you ever lost your sunglasses and then found them in most ridiculous places? Sure you have. This is a real fun challenge and we're looking to make a cool video out of it afterwards. All you have to do is make a quick Boomerang video of you putting sunglasses on a teddy bear, cactus, your cat or whatever you can come up with. A simple 3 sec video but try to be creative and come up with most random objects that could rock your sunglasses.

July 1st-15th: Mocktail/cocktail challenge. Get creative with some summery refreshments. Share some recipes and don't forget to post a pic.

July 16th-30th: Music challenge. 15 days of music. This is a daily challenge with a different theme each day! Post a link to a video of a song that reminds you of the theme of the day.

August 1st-15th: Doodle challenge. Either by hand or digital. Doodle yourself in your happiest, when you're doing your favourite hobby. Whether it's skiing, watching TV with your family, reading..whatever makes you happy. Share the positive vibes.

August 16th-31st: It's last weeks of August. Boo. Let's look back at the past few months. Share a picture/story/video/poem (or any other format that you can think of) that represent your best memory of this summer/sums of this summer for you!   

Latest update

Spoiler

So the calendar so far of confirmed slots is as follows.

May 1st-14th: National Walking Month run by @bluemoonbaz

May 15th - 31st - BBQ Challenge run by @extreme_one

June 1st - 15th - Ice Cream Challenge run by @claw

June 15th-30th: Sunglasses challenge run by @claw

July 1st-15th: Mocktail/cocktail challenge run by @ray2

The following slots are still up for grabs!

July 16th-30th: Music challenge. 15 days of music.

August 1st-15th: Doodle challenge 

August 16th-31st: It's last weeks of August. Boo. Let's look back at the past few months.

Summer Challenges '17 - run by you!

Latest update 31/03/2017

Spoiler

Good Afternoon all!

Hope your all looking forward to the weekend. Got much planned?

We've still got some challenge slots for anyone who would like to host one.

The available slots are as follows:

July 16th-30th: Music challenge. 15 days of music. This is a daily challenge with a different theme each day! Post a link to a video of a song that reminds you of the theme of the day.

August 1st-15th: Doodle challenge. Either by hand or digital. Doodle yourself in your happiest, when you're doing your favourite hobby. Whether it's skiing, watching TV with your family, reading..whatever makes you happy. Share the positive vibes.

August 16th-31st: It's last weeks of August. Boo. Let's look back at the past few months. Share a picture/story/video/poem (or any other format that you can think of) that represent your best memory of this summer/sums of this summer for you!   

If that sounds like something you'd like to host then pop a reply to this thread or send me a PM. I'm happy to let you know more and can hopefully answer any questions you may have!

All the best and enjoy your weekend! Smiley Very Happy

Latest update 04/04/2017

Spoiler

Good Evening everyone!

We're still looking for someone to run the Doodle challenge in the first two weeks of August! Sound like something you would be interested in getting involved in?

The current calendar is as follows:

July 16th-30th: Music challenge. 15 days of music run by @madscouser69

August 1st-15th: Doodle challenge run by you?

August 16th-31st: It's last weeks of August. Boo. Let's look back at the past few months run by @asghir14

Latest update 05/04/2017

Spoiler

Well I'm pleased to update you all!

Every challenge now has a host thank you so much to all my fellow hosts for taking one on! I am really excited to see all these challenges in action and I can't wait to see all the response it gets from the wider community!

The calendar is as follows

July 16th-30th: Music challenge. 15 days of music run by @madscouser69

August 1st-15th: Doodle challenge run by @alantony1

August 16th-31st: It's last weeks of August. Boo. Let's look back at the past few months run by @asghir14

Message 1 of 48
by: extreme_one
on: 21/03/2017 | 12:16

PM sent ! Smiley Very Happy

If this post can be taken one of two ways, and one of the ways offends you, I probably meant it the other way. Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 48
by: snowman1888
on: 21/03/2017 | 22:28

I take it you will be confined to the house over summer then...... Smiley Happy       @claw

Message 3 of 48
by: timwilliams25
on: 22/03/2017 | 07:35

Summer in mainly about holidays.  How about members take a photo of a giffgaff simcard, or their phone showing the giffgaff network or app from different holiday locations, places of interest, humourous places etc

Just a thought and can get people out and about and snapping too - although no doubt, all my pics will be in the UK!

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 4 of 48
on: 22/03/2017 | 13:15 edited: 22/03/2017 | 13:16

@timwilliams25I really like that idea. I think that could actually fit in well with the first and last theme. Would you like to host any of the challenges? Smiley Happy

@snowman1888lol hopefully not! Smiley Very Happy Ideally we'll have a group of giffgaffers all joining in and hosting some challenges. There have already been some interest on a few of them, but hopefully more people will get in touch soon. If your interested in hosting any of them let me know! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 48
by: snowman1888
on: 22/03/2017 | 13:22

Hopefully i will be out taking some pictures in the summer for the photography forum...  Hosting... il be posting... Smiley Very Happy   I gave aggie the details of how the bingo could be run in the atumn winter months, but unfortunately i never recieved a reply from around 3 weeks ago....    Smiley Happy   @claw

Message 6 of 48
by: timwilliams25
on: 22/03/2017 | 18:20

@claw

If my input would add value, then I would be happy to help out to make things happen.

I am on the forum quite regularly and as long as my social life dont lose out (not that I have a hectic social life), then keep me posted.

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 7 of 48
on: 22/03/2017 | 19:45 edited: 22/03/2017 | 19:46

Hi @timwilliams25 ofcourse your contributions would be valuable!

It doesn't normally take up any more time than a user is usually on the community, it's really just to add some fun - Community challenges run by us! So really the basic idea is that those interested each take a challenge slot. Make the thread (with help from each other and the giffgaff team if required.) Then post the initial thread. Then it would just be a case of looking after the thread when we next log on and keeping it on track.

If that sounds like something you would be interested in and theres a challenge you would like to get involved with please do join in.

Currently we have people interested in the following:

May 15th - 31st - BBQ Challenge

June 1st - 15th - Ice Cream Challenge

June 15th-30th: Sunglasses challenge!

July 1st-15th: Mocktail/cocktail challenge.

Still plenty left to choose from if anyone else is interested! And if anyone is interested in the above, it could be made a joint effort. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 48
by: revjonty
on: 24/03/2017 | 17:28

So am I to gather from this that there are people who only use their BBQ's in summer?

Very strange.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 48
on: 24/03/2017 | 20:46

revjonty wrote:

So am I to gather from this that there are people who only use their BBQ's in summer?

Very strange.

@revjontySounds like someone is voluteering for the BBQ Christmas Day thread? Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 48