Scrap PAYG Pricing And Lower Bundles

Started by: k89bpa
On: 25/03/2018 | 00:28
Replies: 73

Go to best answer
by: k89bpa
on: 25/03/2018 | 10:12

@allan1954

My circumstances kept me away from giffgaff, I needed way more data than they could provide, either as a primary or backup sim.

When the two began to align and giffgaff became a possibility, I discounted them primarily because of long standing data issues which let's be honest, took them years to resolve, which isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

I'm not gonna lie and say payback isn't part of my consideration, but it is way down the list, below allowances, cost, data speeds, signal, network reliability, attitude of the staff and how viable I think they are as a company.

I personally would like to see payback totally scrapped, I've been saying so for probably four or five years now, but have come to accept it's probably here to stay for a while yet so I might as well get used to it.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 21 of 74
by: allan1954
on: 25/03/2018 | 10:27
@k89bpa payback scrapped that would be a good thread to start do you fancy putting it up.for me, not that brave bet you would get a lot of replies.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 74
by: freedmaniac
on: 25/03/2018 | 10:34

@k89bpa

You say that Giffgaff was not for you as it did not provide what you needed.

You also say that payback was not a major consideration.

My question therefore is (and you may tell me to mind my business should you wish) - What was the main reason for being so active on forums?

Message 23 of 74
by: davidevans0000
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:01
@woodyuk yes it was you and nominate who told me about the figures on giffgaff for payback.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 24 of 74
by: notherefornothing
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:03

I did carry out some research into GiffGaff before I joined.  Therefore, I was able to sign up, set up my phone without referring to the community.

As far as I was aware in my first few months Payback was totally related to the payments for recruiting. Which seemed fair enough. The person who recruited me received some dosh to go towards their next month. Fair enough!

I was totally unaware of the income generated by community contributions. I said about this to the person who recruited me. They had no idea. I met someone else on GiffGaff last night who didn't know payback existed. By my experience - most users don't know.

In my opinion, what recruits new customers and what will keep low level users here is a decent deal. A competitive offer for PAYG or cheap (£5 level) bundles not Payback. I'm not in that category (I spend more) but the chain of recruitees that followed from me are.

However, I believe that we need this kind of suggestion @k89bpa because 

• things do change
  • we aren't all the same
  • by the comments on this thread, the vast majority of users don't get involved in the community and aren't necessarily represented. (The are unaware or don't have the time/inclination.)
Message 25 of 74
Highlighted
by: nominate
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:06 edited: 25/03/2018 | 11:15

k89bpa wrote:

What about an alternative, keep the payg rates and lower goodybags BUT raise payback eligibility to "You must have spent a minimum of £60 in the previous payback period to be eligible for payback in this period?".

That would be an alternative way of raising funds for investment in the network because all the payback hunters would absolutely use their free money to maintain their eligibility for free money and thus pay in quite willingly for the £10 and over bag.

In my opinion introducing an untargeted minimum spend restriction could have an adverse impact upon the quality of service in Help & Support etc but what about introducing a targeted minimum spend eligibility before members can receive payback for posting in certain areas like General Discussion?

Message 26 of 74
by: wagstaffej
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:21
The vast majority of mobile phone users just want to go about their normal lives and use their phones at a level and cost that suits them. Only a small minority want to be active on any forum. Some folks especially low income and elderly can't even access the internet. Besides which, if everyone on giffgaff got payback then giffgaff would probably go bust! Sorry, but this idea is just a non starter.
Message 27 of 74
by: k89bpa
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:36

@freedmaniac

Illness.

Quite simply, if the NHS has provided treatment five years ago when I discovered the cure I probably wouldn't even have a mobile phone now, I certainly wouldn't still be in the UK. But they didn't, and here I am, ever more dependent on data as ever more physically restricted.

@nominate

Interesting, how would that work in practice? I'm not opposed, not at all, I'm just thinking about the technical implication and whether it would be feasible in practice.

For those who stay in certain areas it'd be easy, but for floaters and those who have their threads moved, (even I pick up answers in help as a result of this), would there be a way to account for this or would it mean manually verifying each and every post?

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 28 of 74
by: giffgaff20147
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:38

@k89bpa

I don’t know on average there are only 3000 members on the community at any one time what about the 1000ands who don’t come on the forum to earn ,

i was in this network over 3 years before I came on forum 

what you are proposing would mean an exit for members not in the community who want the lower value goodybags so your proposal is counter productive , 

believe it or not  some members choose giffgaff because they want an online service not customer service phone numbers and are happy with the network payback or not 

Message 29 of 74
by: wagstaffej
on: 25/03/2018 | 11:47
@allan1954 I'd be in favour of scrapping payback for just general forum chit chat but I do think forum members who give up their spare time to provide valuable help and support should keep getting it.
Message 30 of 74