Community

Sim swop

Started by: debraibbotson
On: 23/06/2018 | 14:16
Replies: 4

Go to best answer
by: debraibbotson
on: 23/06/2018 | 14:16

Just wanted to say how pleased I am with giffgaff service regarding ordering new sim for my new phone and the ease of transferring my number and goody bag over. I was dreading it because I'm not tec savvy. It was straight forward and easy. My old phone was working perfectly before I was called into the X-ray room. Had X-ray, leaving bag in corner of room. Came out, phone DEAD!! Won't turn on, charge, nothing. Google says x-rays shouldn't harm mobiles. I think the X-ray fried my phone!

Message 1 of 5
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: bill48er
on: 26/06/2018 | 00:00

Hi @debraibbotson

I just wanted to say that it is highly unlikely that an x-ray was the cause of you phone's demise.

There any many reasons how this could happen, discounting damage on the day, a previously dropped phone (maybe), faulty battery (most likely), component failure (likely), software crash (possible), OTA over-the-air update (less likely) etc.

The amount of radiation you are exposed to during an X-ray is so small that the risk of any damage to cells in you body is extremely low. The machine produces a tiny burst of targeted radiation at a safe level, your bag in the corner probably had infinitesimal, if any exposure.

Millions of phone are x-ray every day at airports with much stronger direct x-rays without any issue.

So, the fact that you were in X-ray is probably just coincidental.

Android phones batteries can suffer when completely discharged, but they can often be persuade to recharge by pressing a sequence of combined power/volume keys pressing.

I hope that puts your mind at rest for your next x-ray.

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!
Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 5 of 5
by: wilja
on: 23/06/2018 | 14:42

So glad your pleased with your giffgaff service and thank you for taking the time to post. As for the X-ray frying your phone😩

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 5
by: various_mm
on: 23/06/2018 | 15:45
@debraibbotson

glad the sim swap process was easy.

hope you are liking your new phone

thank you for your feedback

If my answer resolved your query then please mark it as a ' solution '. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
by: lilycoleman
on: 24/06/2018 | 02:41

Yea I’ve had to swap my sim numerous times so glad how easy least the process is. Very nice surprise 

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
by: bill48er
on: 26/06/2018 | 00:00

Hi @debraibbotson

I just wanted to say that it is highly unlikely that an x-ray was the cause of you phone's demise.

There any many reasons how this could happen, discounting damage on the day, a previously dropped phone (maybe), faulty battery (most likely), component failure (likely), software crash (possible), OTA over-the-air update (less likely) etc.

The amount of radiation you are exposed to during an X-ray is so small that the risk of any damage to cells in you body is extremely low. The machine produces a tiny burst of targeted radiation at a safe level, your bag in the corner probably had infinitesimal, if any exposure.

Millions of phone are x-ray every day at airports with much stronger direct x-rays without any issue.

So, the fact that you were in X-ray is probably just coincidental.

Android phones batteries can suffer when completely discharged, but they can often be persuade to recharge by pressing a sequence of combined power/volume keys pressing.

I hope that puts your mind at rest for your next x-ray.

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!
Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 5 of 5