Knowledge Base
Community

Since GDPR is here now....

Started by: i_like_pokemon
On: 05/07/2018 | 22:41
Replies: 16

by: 4quarrybank
on: 08/07/2018 | 15:43

I guess like all companies they should comply and give a delete account button - though unsure how they could go through and delete all backups etc with your particular account

Message 11 of 17
by: i_like_pokemon
on: 08/07/2018 | 19:03 edited: 08/07/2018 | 19:07

I agreed @4quarrybank. A “ Delete my account “ button within the online account setting area will be useful as many other websites do.

Message 12 of 17
by: dafewu
on: 08/07/2018 | 23:06

Sorry to segue slightly but on this topic of personal information I was actually cancelling my Netflix membership and they don't even let you remove your card details.

Upon speaking to the customer rep they said that I'd have to contact their privacy department (or some faff like that) but if I did have my card removed I wouldn't be able to access the rest of my subscription that I had already paid for, I guess what I'm trying to say is - it could be worse 

Message 13 of 17
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 07:45 edited: 09/07/2018 | 07:48

@dafewu

In that case you contact your bank, cancel the continuous authority and then order a new bank card whilst battling with Netflix because if you ever change your card, they'll get the new number without you ever telling them. I discovered this when my bank card expired and I logged in to update my card details and discovered they already had them.

That's one of the reasons I've left my Barclays  account open, and am now using it purely as a Netflix payment account, (I transfer money to it to pay Netflix a few days before it's due), that's the only payment into or out of that account. I definitely wasn't gonna give them my new account details. 

But definitely pursue the removal once your subscription is over.

Message 14 of 17
by: tradertall
on: 09/07/2018 | 12:55

true that

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 15 of 17
by: dafewu
on: 09/07/2018 | 13:02

@k89bpa

Thanks very much for that information, I didn't know the problem ran that deeply.

I'll definitely speak to my bank to stop the continuous authority. The funny thing is that I really did quite like Netflix (before this anyways), but the behaviour they have regarding card details is so off.

I can somewhat understand if I were just trialing the account and they wanted to try and get me to sign up for the subscription, but I'm a long standing customer that has cancelled the membership already, it's just awkward, especially threatening to stop me from access that I've already paid for, just for wanting to remove the card details.

Makes me hate them a bit and I was going to rejoin again when I had the ability to but I don't think I will anymore.

Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
by: k89bpa
on: 09/07/2018 | 13:05
Your post certainly opened my eyes too @dafewu. I would not have expected Netflix to behave in that way, especially when you can run your account entirely via prepaid vouchers purchased with cash, negating any need for them to store any payment information at all.

Very strange behaviour from them.
Message 17 of 17