Knowledge Base
Community

Slow Internet - speed comparison 02 giffgaff

Started by: galfredus
On: 16/09/2015 | 19:12
Replies: 19

by: mydrawer
on: 17/09/2015 | 13:04

Some comparisons on youtube showing two identical phones side by side. The o2 phone is like its on another network

Message 11 of 20
by: philc1996
on: 17/09/2015 | 13:20

GiffGaff run off the o2 network so effectively it is tethering the signal, therefore it will be slower than the O2 network as they prioritise their own customers and contract members before GiffGaff customers. 

Why else would they call everything O2 priority? hahaha, but all in all I've had no problem with GG so far, its been decent speeds.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 20
by: cim
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:09

@galfredus - assuming both tests were done on a 4G link then it illustrates the limitations of a heavily loaded gg data service.

To be fair a lot of people are switching to 4G at the moment and it is possible that gg may have to negotiate more data - but seems that these sort of speeds are fairly typical lately.

For some users 2-3MBps is acceptable but on a limited data allowance product I would hope for better. You would think that in the post-unlimited 4G goodybag world, the primary limitation ought to be the amount of data purchased, not the rate at which it can be used.

BTW I believe that gg and all other mobile networks/mvno's should be obliged to report actual data speeds delivered. I doubt they will do so voluntarily but maybe the regulators will wake up and force this to happen as it does with broadband

Get a free Giffgaff SIM posted to you pronto
Message 13 of 20
by: fender1982
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:32

giffgaff shares O2 network or "piggybacks" off it or what ever people what to call it so im not sure why people deny this as its a well known fact or atleast i thourght it was

Message 14 of 20
by: galfredus
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:36
That i did not know. So really it's O2 experimenting with a lower-cost operation to try to wean us off the call centres?
Message 15 of 20
by: ickl101
on: 17/09/2015 | 14:54
@galfredus Giffgaff was an idea thought up by "O2's" Gav Thompson who was then head of their brand strategy but has since left the company. It was designed to appeal those who didn't like O2 and wanted a cheaper option to the institutional providers. The "cheaper" bit being built around on the MVNO model (virtual operator which means limited bandwidth and lower congestion priority) and a support model based customers providing cheap labour. Things have moved on since 2009 and their is more competition and the demand for fast reliable data has increased. Not sure what the future holds for O2 as it's currently in the processes of being acquired by CKH (Three) which means its subsidiaries such as giffgaff are also part of the sale.
Message 16 of 20
by: bigdaveuk
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:52
@ickl101 meaning there on 02 network.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 17 of 20
by: navvy
on: 17/09/2015 | 15:54
O2 data traffic to your phone is limited by how much data the local mast can deliver simultaneously to you and everyone else on the same mast.

Giffgaff has the same restriction of course, but giffgaff is also limited by how much total data per second can pass through their entire network. That I think is why we get so much worse data performance. It even seems to make 2G unusable, which seems surprising.

Maybe when most of the £15 unlimited data people have either left or started paying £20 it will be possible for giffgaff to buy a more realistic data throughput?

I did look at trying O2, but they told me they wouldn't allow tethering on any PAYG SIM. O2 coverage for anything more than 2G is so poor that a backup on a different network makes more sense.
Message 18 of 20
by: ickl101
on: 17/09/2015 | 16:31
@bigdave "O2" is a brand/trading name the network is Telefonica. Telefonica's "O2" brand and "Giffgaff" brand both use the Telefonica network.
Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
by: bs0lth4
on: 18/09/2015 | 17:17
I stopped using Giffgaff for data in January this year since then o have used 3mobile and for the last six weeks ee

Today I discovered that o left my other phone at home and turned on my data on Giffgaff. I had hoped to see a huge difference since all of the changes.

I am however shocked at how slow Giffgaff actually still is even though I'm running 4g my speed is 0.79mbps and its not opening even basic text internet pages.

I was thinking about returning to giffgaff for data as the 6gb tether able data would be useful to me at the moment. But I can't do anything at all...
Message 20 of 20