Community

Spam filter quick-fix suggestion

Started by: extreme_one
On: 07/02/2018 | 10:00
Replies: 5

by: extreme_one
on: 07/02/2018 | 10:00

Hey,

I've noticed that most of the recent deluge of spam posts have a URL as the title.

Why not have the spam filter block posts with URLs as titles?

That should be relatively easy to implement, wouldn't cause many false-positives and keep the forum tidier.

Win-win, right?

Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 6
by: tradertall
on: 07/02/2018 | 10:32
full of common sense.
yes.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 6
by: pusser
on: 07/02/2018 | 11:07

Sounds good to me, anything to cut down the spams.  I’m sure we can put up with losing a few positives 👍🏻

Message 3 of 6
by: harrrrrry
on: 07/02/2018 | 11:07

@extreme_one

That sounds very logical. However. there may be a couple of problems:

• I get the impression that the spam filter currently doesn't work on titles
  • The spam filter for titles would have to be configured differently than the spam filter for the body of posts, otherwise every post that included a link would be treated as spam.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 6
by: revjonty
on: 08/02/2018 | 02:38
Interestingly enough I had the same thought and made the suggestion, and discussed it via pm with @paul_d_ a couple of weeks back (I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning this).
It seems they were already working on something along these lines. I don't know the specifics, and they are probably best not divulged too openly anyway.

Great minds think alike and all that @extreme_one

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: paul_d_
community giff-staffer

on: 09/02/2018 | 22:19

Hi @revjonty

Don't mind what's so ever Smiley Happy

Yes I'm afraid there is no easy fix & we continue to look for various ways to prevent spam on the community. Won't go into any great detail as we don't want to tip our hand to our spammers.

Yes spam posts are something that no one likes to see on the community and we are working hard in the background to reduce the amount of spam hitting the community. We are currently monitoring spam constantly day & night and our filters are starting to pick up some of the types of posts that has previously got through (So in other words its learning & working) 

If you do see a spam post please give it a minute to see if the post disappears,  what we have noticed is that some have got through initially and we have received reports of spam and when we go to action the reports the filters have picked them up and removed the posts.  Please give the filters a little (only a little) time to catch up, if it remains, report it and we can get on the case straight away.

We very much appreciate your patience, time and effort that you all put into flagging these spam posts to us.

So id like to say a huge  Thank you.

Paul.

giffgaff Educator

Message 6 of 6