Knowledge Base
Community

Text part to emails.

Started by: alasdair
On: 08/08/2018 | 12:56
Replies: 4

by: alasdair
on: 08/08/2018 | 12:56

As a `mutt` user, please could we also include a `text` part along with the html content for giffgaff emails?  This way the majority of users still see the nice html emails you send, and I have a nice plain text version as well.

Message 1 of 5
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:09
I do realise there will be alot of people not getting the reason for this, so to elaborate. I use a text only email client (no mouse). I like it. Its fast, and does everything I want. When I spend all my day working on a terminal (command prompt in Windows) it is the easiest solution. It also does not have the slow down and other complaints from the likes of Thunderbird (Outlook). However it irks me the widespread abandonment from the entire internet to provide the plain text part of an email (even if it was in raw markdown that would be fine).

Speaking of markdown, maybe an option would be for the base of all emails to be written in markdown, then for sending the markdown is parsed with a stylesheet (think pandoc for the technically minded amongst us) to create the html part, and the raw markdown can be used for the text part.

Emails handling both types have been around for decades.
Message 2 of 5
by: dez_d
community giff-staffer

on: 08/08/2018 | 13:17

@alasdair

Have you tried changing your email format to plain text here - https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:email-settings

Regards

Dez

giffgaff Educator

Message 3 of 5
on: 08/08/2018 | 13:41
@dez_d I have now. I left it at automatic as I thought that would contain both parts and as for the email notification I received regarding this post both parts were attached (and mutt automatically shows the plain text part). However the email I received regarding "We're refunding you for a billing issue" did not, hence the creation of this suggestion. As for the "We're refunding you for a billing issue" email my message headers have:

DKIM: pass (identity @info.giffgaff.com)

So I'm fairly certain its not a phishing email.

So in summary it looks like the community emails are fine but marketing / account notification emails may not be.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
on: 08/08/2018 | 14:04
For more information, from looking at historical emails, it looks like emails with the following subjects are correctly sending both parts

- goodybag purchase confirmation
- Auto top-up confirmation
- Your friend should have received their SIM now

And the following subjects are/were only sending the html part

- We're refunding you for a billing issue
- Check out your monthly usage today
- Top-up confirmation of £10.00
- giffgaff's Privacy Policy update
- What's in the blog?
- Did you hear the one about the phones?
- Have you heard about payback?
- Here's an extra GB on us
- Network Update
Message 5 of 5